XY Tips for Catching Mewtwo?

Soundwave

Aspiring Trainer
I'm at the point of catching Mewtwo and none of my main pokemon have a sleep or paralysis move on them. Is there a TM out there or something that I can obtain to teach one of my pokemon to help catch Mewtwo? Thanks.

Drohn

Wild War Dance
RE: Tips for Catching Mewtwo

A perfect way to counter the in-game Mewtwo is by using a Dark/Ghost-type Pokémon such as Sableye or Spiritomb. It is immune to both Psychic and Aura Sphere, which are Mewtwo's only offensive moves. The other moves are Recover and Barrier. Recover makes it difficult to keep it on low HP. You can weaken it with moves that don't knock it out with almost endless possibilities to catching it (as long as you have the Pokeballs) without getting hurt using Sableye or Spiritomb. If you don't have those Pokémon I personally think Snarl can be very useful, since it lowers Mewtwo's special attack. You'll be taking a lot less damage from its attacks that way. Don't use too strong a Pokémon when you do that, since it's a Super Effective move.

If you don't have those Pokémon I can trade them to you and also give you a level 3 Catching O-Power during the battle to increase the catch-rate. Let me know if you'd want that!

Note: If you breed Sableye with both Imprison and Recover you can make sure Mewtwo cannot do anything to damage you nor heal itself.

theturtwiggal

Aspiring Trainer
Stock up on ultra balls and revives. If you can use a low leveled super effective priority move, such as shadow sneak or sucker punch, you can get in some good damage. Then switch out to a high leveled tank while randomly chucking ultra balls. If you want to give it rest, I think you get the tm at a hotel, if you don't already have it. Use rest to restore hp while throwing more ultra balls.

FoxFire

Fox Pokemon Rule!
Assuming this is X/Y ...

Before you take on Mewtwo, activate your Capture O-Power (hopefully L3 by now), and throw a Quick Ball right off. This gives you a fair chance for a first-turn capture.

After that, forget Ultra Balls, use Dusk Balls. He's in a cave, so Dusk Balls have a 3.5x catch rate, compared to 2x for an Ultra.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The easiest and fastest way to capture Mewtwo WITHOUT the master Ball is to buy at least 100 Ultra Balls. Then have a team of level 100 Pokemon hopefully cloned before you transfer it through bank. Then just chuck ultra balls and Nothing else. Do not even attack. If you life gets low heal using potions and if your Pokemon faint use Revival Herbs or Max Revives to keep you alive so stock up on all these items before you start the battle. SAVE Before you talk to the Pokemon. This way if you faint you can reset and start over. I got lucky and it only took 6 Ultra Balls to catch him XD.:)

GarchompGuy

"Flies at supersonic speeds." Can't lear
What I do is I use an Aegislash (in the level 60's).
It knew Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, and King's Shield.
Basically Psychic did nothing (resistance) and Aura Sphere truly did nothing. Sacred Sword ignored Barrier and I just ran it out of Recovers.
Sacred Sword or Swords Dance+Shadow Sneak until it has low HP and chuck ze Ultra Balls. Good Luck!

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You could try and use a Pokemon with False Swipe. It is not able to KO a Pokemon. The TM can be found in Lumiose City. Route 10 contains the TM Thunder Wave which will paralyze it. It can be learned by quite a few Pokemon surprisingly.

Romain

Aspiring Trainer
If you go for the move False Swipe I also recommend going for Heal Block or Imprison+Recover. False Swipe is very weak and if Mewtwo uses recover you have to start all over. You have to spend more time attacking than trying to catch a Pokémon.

Going for a Dark/Ghost type Pokémon is a great idea! I never thought of that. You cannot take any damage that way. Ultimate counter!

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
On the first turn, use a Quick Ball and on all other turns, use a Dusk Ball. After about 30 turns, use a Timer Ball.