Tinkaton, Tatsugiri from “Future Flash”

You have a Regidrago already set up and attacking, why would those things matter at that point?
Item lock with confusion? Giovanni's Charisma with hammer/ rugged helmet? You'd be surprised what control decks can achieve. Hammer off the fire energy and lock your item cards? How bout Spiritomb to put discarded mons back inside your deck so you'll have to discard your Dragon mons all over again?

The one thing I would say though is that if your opponent plays Iono. It'll be totally useless to waste a turn for the search.. unless if you play enough counter cards, but still..

Last edited:
i'm not surprised they made a tatsugiri card since there was a dondozo. it makes me think if there'll be a zazamenta card

Item lock with confusion?
So you’ve gone from item lock to specifically Venomoth.

Naturally, Drago doesn’t run a switch card that isn’t an item due to incompatibility and high retreat costs, so whatever is now in the active after Drago uses Survival Strategy is likely locked to the active. This leaves your only method of breaking lock to be Bossing up a different Pokémon that isn’t Venomoth, so you are adding Boss off Survival Strategy. Now, on top of Iono, you have to worry about the the Venomoth player getting out of Boss locking them. Either that, or you are hoping the Venomoth player is not playing any method of retreat lock, using Survival Strategy to add an energy to the retreat pivot. At that point, we are talking such a specific deck that it really isn't worth bothering for that 1 scenario alone.

Item lock is usually aiming to prevent the opponent from attacking altogether too, usually by bossing up a pokemon that cannot attack, to which no add-on will help in that situation. You are now aiming to play around getting locked, which would involve putting as few pokemon into play as possible to avoid that issue.

If they don't Boss up a pokemon that cannot attack, a better answer to fighting Venomoth head-on than Tatsugiri is Altaria ex, which can fend off Confusion. Altaria ex is already considerable for dealing with Lost Tina.
Giovanni's Charisma with hammer/ rugged helmet? Hammer off the fire energy and lock your item cards?
If the opponent is playing a deck that focuses on Energy removal, then you either can attack with Regidrago or cannot. You cannot use Regidrago to copy any attack with only 2 energy attached to it. Putting the Tatsugiri into play also doesn't help, because that implies you had the ability to put 2 more energy into play just to power it up.

Against something like Arc hammers, you just take the L if they flip enough heads. If Arc Hammers is that popular that you are seeing it more than once, you should have thought about bringing a deck that doesn't auto-lose to that in the first place.

How bout Spiritomb to put discarded mons back inside your deck so you'll have to discard your Dragon mons all over again?
Why would that ever be a good play right now? There's no relevant deck that it helps against unless your locals is to the brim with United Wings. If your locals is that hyperfocused on United Wings that someone is bringing CRE Spiritomb, you should know exactly what decks are the best to bring to your locals.

Even in Expanded, where Regidrago is a considerable threat, Spiritomb isn't an option against the much better Regidrago builds due to ease of putting cards back into the discard pile, so people have to counter that by running Lost Thunder Girafarig, which there is no card Tatsugiri can add to deal with that.

You'd be surprised what control decks can achieve.
Not really, because I think through what those decks can do to my play, how often I feel I would run into them, and what are worthwhile solutions to some of them.

You have a Regidrago already set up and attacking, why would those things matter at that point?

So you’ve gone from item lock to specifically Venomoth.

Naturally, Drago doesn’t run a switch card that isn’t an item due to incompatibility and high retreat costs, so whatever is now in the active after Drago uses Survival Strategy is likely locked to the active. This leaves your only method of breaking lock to be Bossing up a different Pokémon that isn’t Venomoth, so you are adding Boss off Survival Strategy. Now, on top of Iono, you have to worry about the the Venomoth player getting out of Boss locking them. Either that, or you are hoping the Venomoth player is not playing any method of retreat lock, using Survival Strategy to add an energy to the retreat pivot. At that point, we are talking such a specific deck that it really isn't worth bothering for that 1 scenario alone.

Item lock is usually aiming to prevent the opponent from attacking altogether too, usually by bossing up a pokemon that cannot attack, to which no add-on will help in that situation. You are now aiming to play around getting locked, which would involve putting as few pokemon into play as possible to avoid that issue.

If they don't Boss up a pokemon that cannot attack, a better answer to fighting Venomoth head-on than Tatsugiri is Altaria ex, which can fend off Confusion. Altaria ex is already considerable for dealing with Lost Tina.

If the opponent is playing a deck that focuses on Energy removal, then you either can attack with Regidrago or cannot. You cannot use Regidrago to copy any attack with only 2 energy attached to it. Putting the Tatsugiri into play also doesn't help, because that implies you had the ability to put 2 more energy into play just to power it up.

Against something like Arc hammers, you just take the L if they flip enough heads. If Arc Hammers is that popular that you are seeing it more than once, you should have thought about bringing a deck that doesn't auto-lose to that in the first place.

Why would that ever be a good play right now? There's no relevant deck that it helps against unless your locals is to the brim with United Wings. If your locals is that hyperfocused on United Wings that someone is bringing CRE Spiritomb, you should know exactly what decks are the best to bring to your locals.

Even in Expanded, where Regidrago is a considerable threat, Spiritomb isn't an option against the much better Regidrago builds due to ease of putting cards back into the discard pile, so people have to counter that by running Lost Thunder Girafarig, which there is no card Tatsugiri can add to deal with that.

Not really, because I think through what those decks can do to my play, how often I feel I would run into them, and what are worthwhile solutions to some of them.
Yo, even PHD thesis ain't that long.. ?? Chill, bruh.

One thing I would say though is ditto control box can easily fit in 1 copy of spiritomb against decks that play discarded mons like zoro box, houndstone ex, dondozo, ditto etc. Also, you can do the lock and confusion separately with Banette/Hisuian Typhlosion Plus, Item lock can be pretty strong with a simple boss or gust ability to lock your opponent from switching as well. You sound like a heavy meta player which is kinda lame. There are way more than 1 way to do things. I always hate narrowing my play options just to increase win rate. Might as well spam Chien Pao or Lost Box all day long. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
You sound like a heavy meta player which is kinda lame.
I get that there is a person on here who is the literal echo chamber for "meta only matters" and just goes off what results he sees on limitless, but that doesn't mean you should sidestep the need to critically think about what you are playing against or expect to see. You both aren't critically thinking for the same reason of just labeling something judgmentally. You're acting no better than he does.

Yo, even PHD thesis ain't that long.. ?? Chill, bruh.

One thing I would say though is ditto control box can easily fit in 1 copy of spiritomb against decks that play discarded mons like zoro box, houndstone ex, dondozo, ditto etc.
Are they expecting to play against those decks? If it were my locals' casual events, decks that spiritomb does well against would not be present. If it were online, you might be lucky to go against a United Wings deck. In any perspective, designing to be effective against what you plan to see is part of the game and isn't really anything to label as elitist.

Also, you can do the lock and confusion separately with Banette/Hisuian Typhlosion
That's not a deck I would worry about. The only person who I've even heard about playing Banette did not use a stage 2 line, opted for Memory Skip Ralts as an alternate control tactic, and gave up on the deck. They didn't use a stage 2 line because setting up an additional stage 2 in a deck like this, on top of needing a psychic energy, adds up to too many resources to pull off their gameplan reliably.
Plus, Item lock can be pretty strong with a simple boss or gust ability to lock your opponent from switching as well.
Yes. That is exactly what I brought up as to why Tatsugiri wouldn't help. Their way of winning makes Tatsugiri irrelevant and the only way Tatsugiri can help you win is a really slim chance of helping and better handled by other cards. Did you read what I wrote?

I get that there is a person on here who is the literal echo chamber for "meta only matters" and just goes off what results he sees on limitless, but that doesn't mean you should sidestep the need to critically think about what you are playing against or expect to see. You both aren't critically thinking for the same reason of just labeling something judgmentally. You're acting no better than he does.

Are they expecting to play against those decks? If it were my locals' casual events, decks that spiritomb does well against would not be present. If it were online, you might be lucky to go against a United Wings deck. In any perspective, designing to be effective against what you plan to see is part of the game and isn't really anything to label as elitist.

That's not a deck I would worry about. The only person who I've even heard about playing Banette did not use a stage 2 line, opted for Memory Skip Ralts as an alternate control tactic, and gave up on the deck. They didn't use a stage 2 line because setting up an additional stage 2 in a deck like this, on top of needing a psychic energy, adds up to too many resources to pull off their gameplan reliably.

Yes. That is exactly what I brought up as to why Tatsugiri wouldn't help. Their way of winning makes Tatsugiri irrelevant and the only way Tatsugiri can help you win is a really slim chance of helping and better handled by other cards. Did you read what I wrote?
lets see who have the last word. Apparently, you can never be wrong about anything cuz you're a super smart genius born by arceus itself. I'll admit i have some flaws in my thinking process as to the search being useful for drago or not, but I'm merely trying to point out the infinite ways you can make something silly and stupid actually strong against certain matchups. It is just 1 copy of tatsugiri after all. I would hate to see everyone playing the exact same deck over and over without actually challenging ourselves to do something unique, rogue and completely extraordinary. Say whatever you want. I'll make sure to have the last word. Just for pettiness' sake. ??

Back