Thoughts on BW on decks?

D.N.A

Aspiring Trainer
So I only just restarted collecting cards, and I'm looking to make a nice fun deck to play with that runs from BW on (so BW and EP).

The most obvious cards are Abiliboar, Reshiram, Zekrom, Beartic and perhaps some others like Gothitelle and Reuniclus.

But what about some more rogue-like decks? Audino energy spam?

Just a minor one I was looking at was Serperior Ability on the bench with Whimsicotton Guard as your main attacker, and maybe a Simipour (Grass Power) to cover for any fire types that might arise? Obviously it wouldn't stand up against the top decks, but it may be fun to play with against other rogues...

What are some ideas, thoughts?

The evolution Leavanny makes for a good rogue, as do condition-afflicting decks such as Scolipede, Simipour and Leafeon to name a few.
Ignore the spam, it'll get cleaned up eventually, but right now is a dead zone for mods since they're never on around now.

Scrafty could do okay. Spam Paralysis, do mediocre damage, and try to get lucky. I like the idea of Serperior, maybe even as its own deck.

Pretty much the only top tier deck you could make would be Reshiboar, and it would be a bit slow due to not having Ninetales, magnezone, or a great I/S line, but it would still be pretty good compared to other decks that can be made from those sets. I guess a Abilirott deck could be decent just for tanking pruposes, or maybe an Outrage deck running Reuniclus and Dragons (although catcher would ruin that strategy). Actually, I forgot Gothitelle Reuniclus, that would be a great choice too, up there with Reshiboar. I'd say those are your best options. Oh, and if you don't make a Reshiboar deck I'd highly recommend some Zoroark.

Other that the above you could try a steel deck using Klinglang BW to move energy off your main attacker, Max Potion them, them move the energy back. You could run 1 Klinglang EP for some energy recovery. You could also try a Zebstrika Mandibuzz deck, using the Electrispark Zebstrika to put 1 damage counter on all of the opponent's benched, then use Mandibuzz's first attack to pick off the weakened basics for a bunch of cheap prizes.

Gothitelle Reuniclus will be BDIF most likely. Reshiboar would be ok, because once Magnezone is gone, not much can OHKO Abiliboar. You'd have to run a lot of Switches though.

glaceon said:
Gothitelle Reuniclus will be BDIF most likely. Reshiboar would be ok, because once Magnezone is gone, not much can OHKO Abiliboar. You'd have to run a lot of Switches though.
Until everybody plays Goth/Reun, then you'll have to face the most terrible mirror match in the world.

Mirror matches cannot be terrible; they are always 50/50. JUST saying.

Oh, and I think that would be an incredibly fun mirror match. The person who could get his Goth loaded up with enough energy to OHKO the opponent would probably win (5 energy or something?), and if that's not possible, the person who can keep the damage off better with Max Potion or whatever would win. That would be a really neat matchup to see, possibly the best mirror match in the format.

Scizorliscious said:
Mirror matches cannot be terrible; they are always 50/50. JUST saying.

Oh, and I think that would be an incredibly fun mirror match. The person who could get his Goth loaded up with enough energy to OHKO the opponent would probably win (5 energy or something?), and if that's not possible, the person who can keep the damage off better with Max Potion or whatever would win. That would be a really neat matchup to see, possibly the best mirror match in the format.

Actually, its just 2 psychic energy to KO the other due to weakness, meaning as soon as you can use the attack you'll be OHKOing the opponent. In other words, the person who wins the openning flip will win 99% of the time, bolstered by the fact they will probably get up their Gothitelle first, cutting off the opponent's trainers. However, I think a good Reshiboar could win that matchup. They'd simply have to run more fisherman and less energy retrieval. The thing is, badboar can OHKO Gohitelle, so the Reshiboar player can just send up their reshiram to stall a bit then bring up badboar and kill all the Gothitelle.

^Yeah, I forgot about Weakness when writing that and realized after I went to the next thread.

But still, as long as one Goth gets the revenge KO, things could become very interesting.

Scizorliscious said:
^Yeah, I forgot about Weakness when writing that and realized after I went to the next thread.

But still, as long as one Goth gets the revenge KO, things could become very interesting.

So you think the person going second can set up 2 stage 2s, probably under trainer lock, with the only draw/search trainers in the format being Communication, Juniper, and Cheren?

No, I never said that. But as long as the person going second doesn't get the Goth KO'd until it's fully set up, you should be fine. For example:

Skipping to T2: Player A has a Goth set up Active and begins to attack, with a Duosion on bench. He can KO the opponent's active.
Player B has Gothorita with an energy and Duosion on Bench after evolving them, and promotes some random Pokémon to be fodder. Attaches energy to Gothorita and passes.
T3: Now what does player A do? If he KOs the opponent, Player B could very well get a revenge KO right back and start sweeping with Gothitelle. Player A sort of has to retreat Gothitelle, and neither player can promote Gothitelle for fear the opponent would OHKO it and sweep.

Other than the fact that there is no rare candy in a B/W on format so Gothitelle couldn't be set up turn 2, the first player would have the opponent under trainer-lock, so the person going first would have trouble setting up their first Gothitelle while the player going first would have no trouble setting up 2. In the scenario provided, Player A could simply charge up a second Gothitelle until it would be able to attack on the next turn, then they KO the active.

Back