The XY Series Speculation Thread

onionsaur

Aspiring Trainer
I wanted to make a thread a little broader then just the "XY7", "XY8" theory set, but rather something to continue for the entire XY set. I would like to hear people ideas on THEMES for the upcoming sets. We know after Emerald Break it's Bandit Rings, most likely being based on Hoopa.

I often get a feeling of Deja vu when new sets come out but generally it's because I like to find patterns in things. With the new set coming out we're starting to see a few things happen again Double megas of the same pokemon?) and using some of our previous sets I thought maybe we can discuss what might be good ideas for upcoming sets and what not!

Here's a short recap of our previous sets (based on Pokemon mostly):

X & Y Base:

New NRG:
Fairy

Megas:
Blastoise & Venusaur

Ex Support:
Venusaur (Grass)
Blastoise (Water)
Emolga (Electric)
Yveltal (Dark)
Skarmory (Steel)
Xerneas (Fairy)

Full Arts:
Venusaur (Grass)
Blastoise (Water)
Emolga (Electric)
Yveltal (Dark)
Skarmory (Steel)
Xerneas (Fairy)

Other new things?:
X & Y Base was our beginners set. It gave us a good taste of what was to come in future sets and brought us new Megas and Fairy type NRG. A good well rounded set that brought lots of neat new pokemon and interesting abilities to start with. The dual decks of this set featured Sylveon and Noivern, Fairy and dragon bring both the new type of this series and the new type of the last together.

Set focus was mainly introduction.

Set gave us our first type based stadiums of the set: Fairy and Dark

----------------

Flashfire

New NRG:
None

Megas:
Charizard X (Dragon)
Charizard Y (Fire)
Kangaskhan (Colorless)

Ex Support:
Charizard (Fire)/Stoke
Charizard (Fire)/Wing Attack
Magnezone (Electric)
Toxicroak (Psychic)
Kangaskhan (Colorless)

Full Arts:
Charizard (Fire)/Stoke
Magnezone (Electric)
Toxicroak (Psychic)
Kangaskhan (Colorless)

Other new things?:
This entire set is fire and death, and fancy Lysandre. No one can argue that this set is focused solely on fire with blacksmith, fiery torch, and all of the Charizards and Pyroars running around.

Set focus was Fire

First set to include Secret Rare Gold Cards into the series (Charizard X & Y)
Sets name was flashfire and the star of the set was Charizard
No type based stadiums

------------------

Furious Fists

New NRG:
Strong NRG (Fighting)
Heal NRG (Grass)

Megas:
Heracross (Grass)
Lucario (Fighting)

Ex Support:
Heracross (grass)
Lucario (fighting)
Seismitoad (water)
Hawlucha (fighting)
Dragonite (Dragon)

Full Arts:
Heracross (grass)
Lucario (fighting)
Seismitoad (Water)
Dragonite (dragon)

Other new things?:
This set was percieved to not be very interesting until people figured out Lucario hit for one NRG, Seismitoad is glorious, and the non ex Hawlucha is a pretty cool guy. The set really brought the beat down with past cards like Ladorus, and provided great fighting support. Strangely enough this sets other focus was grass types with M Heracross and grass NRG, which might've been also and allusion to the next set being psychic/electric by throwing in Dragonite (Grass/ Electric NRG use, Dragon Type). This set also gave us back our lovely fossil support.

Set focus was Fighting/Grass

Set included 2 SR Gold cards, both were also megas (Heracross & Lucario)
Sets name was furious fists, sets star was Lucario
First set to not give all EXes a full art (No Hawlucha FA)
Fighting Support Stadium

-------------------------

Phantom Forces

New NRG:
Mystery NRG (Psychic)

Megas:
Manectric (electric)
Gengar (Psychic)

Ex Support:
Manectric (electric)
Gengar (Psychic)
Malmar (Dark)
Dialga (Steel)
Aegislash (steel)
Florges (Fairy)

Full Arts:
Manectric (electric)
Gengar (Psychic)
Malmar (Dark)
Dialga (Steel)
Florges (Fairy)

Other new things?:
This set was set up to tease and give us the ultimate hopes of a good Electric and psychic theme, but steel seems to "steal" the spotlight. The set gives us one psychic ex, one electric ex (both with very fun megas) but gives us steel shelter, Dialga and Aeigislash. The set brought some fun new things into the mix (night march anyone?) and possibly the strong steel support was an allusion to the next set.

Set focus was Psychic with Steel/Electric in the mix

Set included SR gold Mega Gengar and Mega Manectric, and a SR Full Art all Silver Dialga
Sets name was Phantom Forces, set Star was Gengar.

The packs teased Diancie but no Diancie EX or Mega would appear until later in a separate box.

Spirit Links were teased and Gengar SL released early at Gamestop. Manectric and Gengar Spirit Link released in set.

--------------------------

Primal Clash

New NRG:
Wonder NRG
Shield NRG (Steel)

Megas/Primals:
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Aggron (Steel)
Kyogre (Water)
Groudon (Ground)

Ex Support:
Trevenant (grass)
Camerupt (fire)
Wailord (water)
Kyogre (water)
Groudon (ground)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Aggron (Steel)

Full Arts:
Trevenant (grass)
Camerupt (fire)
Wailord (water)
Kyogre (water)
Groudon (ground)
Sharpedo (Dark)
Gardevoir (Fairy)
Aggron (Steel)

Other new things?:
Even though we are in the XY era, this is our Ruby and Sapphire introduction set. All EXes get full arts, there's all kinds of repeating support (Water, Fighting, Steel and Fairy receives more this section too) as well as another huge introduction: Primals and Ancient Traits. While Primals are just like EXes the main difference is they also come with Ancient Traits in which no EX yet does. It's a second active ability which has also been fun as they aren't exclusive to primals, but basic, and any stage except EXes can have them as well. The game has evolved vastly in this addition.

Set focus was introduction of Alpha and Omega Ancient Traits.
Set included the revival of SR GOLD item cards and included four.
Set introduces Full Art Megas, all Megas/Primals have one
Sets name was Primal Clash and starred both Primal Kyogre and Groudon.

Spirit Links are now the norm, every mega in the set as well as primal EX has one.
Elemental Stadium support this round is Water/Electric and Ground/fire

--------------

Roaring Skies

New NRG:
Double Dragon NRG (Colorless)

Megas/Primals:
Rayquaza (Colorless)
Rayquaza (Dragon)
Latios (Dragon)
Gallade (Psychic)

Ex Support:
Rayquaza (Colorless)
Rayquaza (Dragon)
Latios (Dragon)
Gallade (Psychic)
Hydreigon (Dragon)
Shaymin (Colorless)
Thundurous (Electric)

Full Arts:
Rayquaza (Colorless)
Latios (Dragon)
Gallade (Psychic)
Hydreigon (Dragon)
Shaymin (Colorless)
Thundurous (Electric)

Other new things?:
So far what we can see is this is a dragon/colorless set. The Set is much like Flashfire with the dual Main Pokemon. There is no support stadium for this set that has to deal with a type, but rather amount of pokemon on your bench. This set makes a lot of sense being colorless as the focal point due to the star pokemon either being part flying as their dual type.

Set focus will be Colorless (Psychic will be the most playing energy requirement though)
Set includes 2 SR GOLD cards.

Spirit Links are now the norm, every mega in the set as well as the primal EX has one.
No elemental stadium support.

------------------------------------

With this knowledge we know that:

- 7 of the "11" NRG types are covered with new special NRG. (Grass, Fairy, Steel, Dragon, Psychic, & Fighting ((and reprint of Colorless))
- That leaves support for: Dark, Electric, Fire & Water NRG

- 7 or 8 of the "11" NRG types covered in Stadiums (Fighting, Psychic, Steel, Dark, Fairy, Fighting/Fire, Water/Electric)
-that leaves support for: Grass, Dragon and Colorless (Odds are we might get a Grass, but not the other two)

There are 14 Megas, 3 Primals
----The Megas cover these NRG Types: Water, Grass, Fire, Dragon, Colorless, Fairy, Psychic, Electric, Fighting and Steel.
---------The only NRG type not covered is Dark (M Absol will not count for this as it's in a promo boxed set not card set)

Of the 13 Megas only 9 have spirit links.

-So far we're at six sets and they all seem to be themed around a single pokemon, 1-2 NRG types and support stadiums or are an introduction to a new game set. If this continues we can say:

XY was an introduction set
-Flash Fire
------Had two Megas from one, and one colorless Mega
-Furious Fists
-------Supported two main types
-Phantom Forces
-------Supported two main types

Primal Clash was an introduction set
-Roaring Skies
------Had two Megas from one, and one is a colorless Mega
-Bandit Rings
-------This will possibly be a type support Set
-??? (XY9)
-------This will possibly be a type support Set

-??? (XY10) Possibly an intro set, if a new game is announced soon it might be definite if not it will be elemental support
-??? One of the next sets will feature Volcanion

MY PREDICTIONS:
---Bandit Rings could possibly be our set with a Darkness support NRG. Hoopa's second form is dark and this would be a good chance to make 2 Hoopa cards, one Dark, one Psychic.
---We probably won't see support water or Fire NRG until Volcanion is released.
---Like a lot of people I expect XY 10-11 to be based off whatever new pokemon games come out which will hopefully feature Zygarde. Like Rayquaza I can see two megas/Primals/wtf evers for it one featuring 1,000 Arrows or 1,000 waves.
-Bandit rings will most likely feature M Latias if there is still psychic support

SORRY for making such a long thread! If it's in the wrong place please let me know.

Firstly, I suggests spoilering the summaries of the sets! All that text is intimidating :O

I'm really hoping for a Dark Mega... but not Hoopa-related. I want to see a Dark M-Gyarados! Due to its popularity, I'm surprised it's not already printed.

Personally I'm surprised that we haven't seen more [D] and [L] type support, after we lost Dynamotor eels and Dark Explorers. My theory is that these types are going to come to as pretty soon, though, as Dragon types have just been boosted since their Dragon Exalted support. Technically [W] has Blastoise support until rotation, meaning I wouldn't expect [W] support until closer to rotation, and [R] got it's support in FF.

Well there is a chance that the new set will have some dark type support in it. After all Hoopa is part dark itself.

Oh and let's not forget that Flashfire had a secret gold rare M. Kangaskhan EX too.

Gym leader set pls

Oh hey, we got an owned Pokemon set as a miniset (and the art handled the concept fantastical), throw them in there.

bbninjas said:
Firstly, I suggests spoilering the summaries of the sets! All that text is intimidating :O

I'm really hoping for a Dark Mega... but not Hoopa-related. I want to see a Dark M-Gyarados! Due to its popularity, I'm surprised it's not already printed.

Personally I'm surprised that we haven't seen more [D] and [L] type support, after we lost Dynamotor eels and Dark Explorers. My theory is that these types are going to come to as pretty soon, though, as Dragon types have just been boosted since their Dragon Exalted support. Technically [W] has Blastoise support until rotation, meaning I wouldn't expect [W] support until closer to rotation, and [R] got it's support in FF.

I'm so sorry D: I'm not sure how to make the spoiler thing since the edit mode doesn't have the button for it ),:

I'm hoping for some kind of set of special energy. Though I don't know if water will happen soon, but I definitly thing the dark will have somthing soo.

Pikachu6319 said:
Well there is a chance that the new set will have some dark type support in it. After all Hoopa is part dark itself.

Oh and let's not forget that Flashfire had a secret gold rare M. Kangaskhan EX too.

This is my theory too. I'm hoping for some kind of darkness special energy because it makes the most sense right now for the upcoming sets.

Furn said:
Gym leader set pls

Oh hey, we got an owned Pokemon set as a miniset (and the art handled the concept fantastical), throw them in there.

There is that upcomnig promo set of "gym" badges...possibly a prelude to a thing?

I'm hoping their will be some sort of Sylveon EX card. Maybe even as a regular, random card because all the other Eeveelutions got some sort of special card, like Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, they got the gold star card treatment and the old school ex version. Umbreon and Espeon they got a prime card along with the gold star treatment. Glaceon and Leafeon got a LV.X card treatment. I'm also hopeful for a Suicune EX because Entei and Raikou got and EX card.

So apparently they weren't in any BW sets either, which means they're probably going to come back soon.

The last time we saw Unown was in HGSS, Undaunted and Trimphant, which come to think of it was also the last time we saw any baby Pokemon.

Again true. Mantyke, Bonsly and Mime Jr. if I remember right. I think they've given up on the whole baby Pokémon, somewhat sadly.

Back