The Worst In People

WanderingWolf

Only *insert number here* days to go!
I was going to post something else here, BUT LETS GO WITH A SLIGHTLY CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC INSTEAD!

-----

So, as I've been discovering for the past few months (I'd like to say years, but a few years ago, I was extremely ignorant to the world) that people see the worst in other people. And it sucks.

For example, a girl at my school can literally change her voice to completely different pitches... To sound almost exactly like someone would with their voice changed with autotune. She's an extremely talented singer.

But of course, human social issues step in, and during a 'School Assembly', while she's performing, someone talks to everyone around them calling her fat, completely ignoring any talent she actually has...

This is just sad. That someone spends so much time, developing a talent, only for people to bypass it and move straight to looks...

As much as I hate to say it, I'm one of the people who do this... But not in a visual way, instead in a verbal way. I'm not exactly the skinniest person on Earth... To say the least, and really only perform in school sport, golf... And archery. Now, I'm bad at golf, but I AM actually skilled in Archery... Which has nothing to do with the topic, but anyway:

My fellow male students know that I lack confidence in my social ability (I'm such a loudmouth on here though), so this dilemma occurs a lot...

So, a guy would come up to me, lets say during sport, and point at me and go 'Look at that mass muscle," while pointing at my arm... And this is said with no expression in face or voice whatsoever.

So, I end up with two options:
- They know I lack confidence, but are trying to pick me up
- They hate everything about me, and are mocking me because of me not being the skinniest person on Earth

And the thing is, I automatically have the second reaction. So I literally just stand or sit there like a dumbass, contemplating the universe (I'm so smart).

And that is also, me seeing the worst in people. Almost everyone in my year has a sarcastic nature... So Its kind of just a habit, that when someone says something to me, I just think the worst...

-----

So, that's in my life! Have any of you had any experiences in this? Are you the same as me, seeing the worst in what people say? Or are you the first example, skipping talent and moving to looks?

The meat industry. (This is probably just because my friend thought it'd be cool to show me a video that has more blood than all 10 of the Hellsing OVAs). The practises they use are hardly humane and show that despite us thinking that our world is all happy and rainbows when it really isn't.

EDIT: All I'm really saying is we're ignorant and just plain stupid.

(also there's been worse topics in here, trust me)

Blui said:
The meat industry

The Wurst in People.

And yeah, people in school are mean, and people outside of school are mean. It's a fact of life. Those guys picking on you often have even worse problems in their personal lives, so instead of just sitting there and taking it, get an adult/teacher to help you. Change only happens if you make it happen, especially with something as serious as bullying.

I'm 4'8".
I used to have bullies picking on me for being smart and short.
Then one kid kept pestering me at lunch, he yelled at me for not responding and punched me.
I snapped.
I ended up getting myself suspended for 1 week.(Don't really like to remember what I did there, sorry)
When I came back, I was harassed by other people about my "anger issues", and this cycle repeated.

Now, I've become very kind and generous, and I've learned to ignore those people.
I also have a bunch of jock and popular friends so nobody gon' mess with me.

I think a lot of people are just perfectionists, they see portrayals of perfect people in the media and then expect everyone to live up to those standards.

Blui said:
The meat industry. (This is probably just because my friend thought it'd be cool to show me a video that has more blood than all 10 of the Hellsing OVAs). The practises they use are hardly humane and show that despite us thinking that our world is all happy and rainbows when it really isn't.

I can't hear you over my delicious medium-rare steak. But yeah seriously there are probably better ways of butchering defenseless animals for us to eat.

I used to work in retail before I got my current job, and I can say without a doubt RETAIL IS THE WORST JOB EVER.

Lady: "Excuse me sir do you have any copies of Masked Ops 2?"

Me: "Do you mean Black Ops II?"

Lady: "Yeah that one. So do you have any?"

Me: "No I'm sorry, we sold out a few hours ago. The game just came out so it's selling like hotcakes."

Lady: "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE ANY @#%$ COPIES LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER I'M FURIOUS I HOPE THEY FIRE YOU @%#$&^%^$#%@^%%"

My manager isn't going to make a copy spontaneously appear out of thin air. We would know if we had any copies of our most bought game in the past several months.

So yeah, working in retail showed me that people are terrible people. I hate all of you.

Good day.

Rusty Sticks said:
Blui said:

I can't hear you over my delicious medium-rare steak. But yeah seriously there are probably better ways of butchering defenseless animals for us to eat.

Well anyone who knows me in person knows how much I love bacon :p

@ Blob, professorlight etc etc

Please stay on topic.

To everyone else: don't bother posting if you aren't adding to the topic. TY

=======

@OP

People will hate on you regardless of your size. A general misconception is that being super skinny solves a lot of problems, but it doesn't. It's just corrupted human nature. Find a couple of close friends that will stick with you regardless of circumstance and that's all you will ever need. These jerks, as SL said, most likely have serious personal issues and it's those kinds of people that don't end up very big in life. In the end, you aren't the one losing out.

Remember this. Its only a long phase. They grow out of it when they hit college and realize they need to mature up. Just keep on rockin with what makes ya feel good and life will be easy.

Also, hit the gym.

I always get made fun of for being "fat and slow". Just because I'm 5'9" 140 doesn't mean I'm abnormally large. I bet that I am much stronger than them and can run much faster, but more importantly much more intelligent.

(And what's funny about that is that most of them saying that are about 5'5" 180. teehee)

And yeah, retail is terrible, and I don't even work at a place. Just being a customer around other customers is bad enough :|

I'm not fat, but I'm not exactly physically fit. I'm also about 5'9" and 140. I'm not round or anything, it's just more of like a slight "doughiness in the midsection" (Spongebob quote). This one kid at school makes fun of me for not being athletic, for not getting all these disgusting internet memes, and, because I'm too nice to do anything about it, tries to take my food at lunch.

I used to completely ignore him, although that kind of worsened it. Lately I've been retorting with some nice comebacks, yet I still don't feel like that's the right thing. I've told the guy his problem: when he's alone with you, he's nice. When there are others, he tries to bring you down to make him look good. That's probably what those guys are doing to you :/

It gets better. I go to a college campus for my high school classes (this isn't the point I'm making) and I see the students there and....wow. Everyone is nice to one another--doesn't matter about race, gender, size, height. No one cares anymore.

Just don't let the insults get to you. Tell the people you don't care and eventually they'll all get bored and leave.

Elite Stride said:
@ Blob, professorlight etc etc

Please stay on topic.

To everyone else: don't bother posting if you aren't adding to the topic. TY

=======

@OP

People will hate on you regardless of your size. A general misconception is that being super skinny solves a lot of problems, but it doesn't. It's just corrupted human nature. Find a couple of close friends that will stick with you regardless of circumstance and that's all you will ever need. These jerks, as SL said, most likely have serious personal issues and it's those kinds of people that don't end up very big in life. In the end, you aren't the one losing out.

Hey! I added to the topic! the mindset I was talking about where one does not improve unless you have to is one of the worst things in people. I thought I was clear, but it seems it wasn't...

I didn't understand something, though... Is the purpose of the thread to talk about james's particular case, or is it discussing the worst sides of people? I'm really asking.

If it's the first case (and to add to the topic) things get better once you leave high school. cliques and social pressure diminish enormously, and everyone is free to do and be what they want. Anyway, It didn't seem so much like bullying (at least how you wrote it), but if you are positive those guys are making fun of you, well, that's nothing an arrow in the ass doesn't fix, right? you can take comfort in the fact that when the zombies come, you can fight back.

> Posts genuinely, not expecting responses that actually support me, but instead state their experiences
> Thinks for a few seconds, get a bit flustered
> Realises how awesome you guys are for actually supporting a stranger you barely know anything about...

When people say one thing is not right and they do it anyway.
Also, I hate it when people think they're saying something smart, when they're just not.

What really gets my Goat though, is when you can't win, even if you try to do the right thing, or when people are just being huge pricks and they won't listen or give you a chance.
It's really bad when you go to foreign places where they hate English speakers and they treat you like crap for stuff that your ancestors once did.

The thing that I really can't stand is when people make fun of other people based on their appearance.
Me and my friends at educationland look like a right bunch; 2 of us have blue hair, one has a faceful of piercings, and then there's 2 you could consider normal.
You should see what people say - they say we're chavs (so not true), and occasionally hit us with homophobia (which can get to us since theres 5 of us, and 2 are openly lesbian and I'm bi). Most of the time we just ignore them, but one of my friends has confessed that it really gets to her.
They happen to be some of the best people I've ever met.

I also really hate people who act like their really smart and everything, but in reality they just aren't.

P.DelSlayer said:
The thing that I really can't stand is when people make fun of other people based on their appearance.
Me and my friends at educationland look like a right bunch; 2 of us have blue hair, one has a faceful of piercings, and then there's 2 you could consider normal.
You should see what people say - they say we're chavs (so not true), and occasionally hit us with homophobia (which can get to us since theres 5 of us, and 2 are openly lesbian and I'm bi). Most of the time we just ignore them, but one of my friends has confessed that it really gets to her.
They happen to be some of the best people I've ever met.

I also really hate people who act like their really smart and everything, but in reality they just aren't.

How the HELL are you even anywhere NEAR a chav?! The guys bullying you are CLEARLY the chavs.
That's another thing that gets me. When people don't know the meaning of a word and they act like that word.

Found this on facebook a while ago:
I used to work at Subway a couple months ago, but I quit. And what made me quit was one time a homeless man came in to get a sandwich. He asked if the sandwich would be more than $10. One of my coworkers told him no and he carried on. When he got down to the register, he was searching frantically for his money, and with such shame on his face he said he couldn't find it and started to leave. But I called out to him and said I would pay for it. I got my credit card and paid for an entire meal for this man, with no discounts. Completely in full. He thanked me over and over. Then when the next person in line got to the register she told me how nice of thing I did. Now when everyone left I was in the back cleaning and my manager yelled at me. Telling me that if someone can't pay for their food you tell them to leave. I told her that I wasn't going to let him starve. It was 115 degrees outside. He was probably exhausted, dehydrated and very hungry. I was so baffled about the fact that I just got in trouble for helping someone in need. I was being constantly told by owners and supervisors of the company that this was a business about people and making people happy. But I guess the homeless aren't people. So I quit a week later.
I like reading stories like this, and stories the opposite of this. (and I would write a bit more but I'm really tired right now and thought I'd just share this now that I can).

I love my girlfriend above everything, but when she gets mad at me (which is a lot, because I'm a jackass), EVERYTHING I say is wrong -- EVERYTHING. cx

Other than that, I hate people that think they're better than others. And people using snuff (a piece of tobacco that is inserted beneath your upper lip) and people smoking irritaites(?) me. And people that is -- as we in Norway call them: veslevoksen (meaning that a person acts like they are much older than they really are, but fails.)

The Fire Wyrm said:
I ended up getting myself suspended for 1 week.(Don't really like to remember what I did there, sorry)
When I came back, I was harassed by other people about my "anger issues", and this cycle repeated.

This reminds me of one of my friends who sweep kicked a bully flat on his ass in 7th grade and got in more trouble than the bully. The friend is pretty short and skinny. It was an awesome moment.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/zv7hv7.jpg

I found this image posted on iFunny about three days back. It has -75 likes, meaning more people dislike this than care for the person. I actually stood up to defend the guy, as did a couple of others, from all the hatred he was getting. People kept saying that he was a weakling, that he should get over it, that he should off himself, etc. One guy went as far as to call him a weakling and threaten him on that basis. He was then double-teamed by two liberals, which was a sight to see. In my response, I basically said that those who can't accept it and run and hide are the weak; those who stand up and not get pushed around, not let the world put them in their place, they are the strong ones. Not the bullies or those who seek to better themselves off of somebody less fortunate.

Back