Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

So... my first idea didn't go so well, so I have a fairly challenging proposition for you all. :p
My locals is Expanded and I would like to be able to start again, but I don't own anything and I only have 50 dollars to work with. Now, I will bold this to hopefully make this easier, I do not expect a full top tier deck. That said, I would like to be able to play with something that will either...
A. Allow me to top 4/8 every once and a while as I wait for more funds
or
B. Allow me to become used to a deck and improve on it after I earn more money

Luckily, my local isn't too terribly "highly skilled", so I should (should) be able to pull off a few tops and earn some store credit. I do need a start, however.

Thank you guys! c:

So... my first idea didn't go so well, so I have a fairly challenging proposition for you all. :p
My locals is Expanded and I would like to be able to start again, but I don't own anything and I only have 50 dollars to work with. Now, I will bold this to hopefully make this easier, I do not expect a full top tier deck. That said, I would like to be able to play with something that will either...
A. Allow me to top 4/8 every once and a while as I wait for more funds
or
B. Allow me to become used to a deck and improve on it after I earn more money

Luckily, my local isn't too terribly "highly skilled", so I should (should) be able to pull off a few tops and earn some store credit. I do need a start, however.

Thank you guys! c:
Look up Honorstoise. It is a World Championship winning Decklist. For the actual deck it should hit right around your price point, most expensive cards being the VS seekers, Battle Compressors, and the Keldeos. It is a very quick Deluge Deck, that hits hard, and isn't terribly effected by item lock. It also doesn't care about special conditions. The only real threat is ability lock decks. Other than that its fun to play and works really well.

Oh, and RayEels is really fun in expanded, not exactly a top tier deck, but none-the-less a really fun deck, that still does well, despite being a deck for the last 3 years. =P It is also fairly cheap to make, your trainers will be the most expensive part as the promo Rayquaza EX are less than $5 each.

Look up Honorstoise. It is a World Championship winning Decklist. For the actual deck it should hit right around your price point, most expensive cards being the VS seekers, Battle Compressors, and the Keldeos. It is a very quick Deluge Deck, that hits hard, and isn't terribly effected by item lock. It also doesn't care about special conditions. The only real threat is ability lock decks. Other than that its fun to play and works really well.

Oh, and RayEels is really fun in expanded, not exactly a top tier deck, but none-the-less a really fun deck, that still does well, despite being a deck for the last 3 years. =P It is also fairly cheap to make, your trainers will be the most expensive part as the promo Rayquaza EX are less than $5 each.

I looked up Honorstoise and I like it a lot! I do have a question, however.

What do I do about Shaymin EX and Jirachi EX? He ran 2 of each and they're pretty high in price.

So I have my Texas states coming up and I am having a crisis on what to play. Yveltal Speed or Seismitoad/Giratina. Thanks for the help!

Hmmm both have pros and cons...

I guess its a matter of which one you're most comfortable with playing and which suits your playstyle better

Hi everyone,

as you may have noticed, there are so many really competitive decks out there with great fun potential. Now there are some tournaments coming up and I need a nice deck to play as I slowly get bored of playing YZG over and over again. Because of BKP, I don't know my local meta anymore; it used to be mostly Manectric/Bats, but the last tournament this deck was nonexistent and now we got Garbodor, so... Anyway, here are some decks I considered playing:
M-Manectric/Jolteon/Regice/Articuno/Rough Seas
Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade
Trevenant BREAK/Wobbuffet/Wally(/Meowstic FLF)
Some kind of Garbodor variant
Manectric/Toad/Bats
Lucario/Bats

Don't worry, I also have have fun if my opponent is really raging against me (I enjoyed playing Durant back in the day).

Thanks for your suggestions
PlinfaTheBest

So I have my Texas states coming up and I am having a crisis on what to play. Yveltal Speed or Seismitoad/Giratina. Thanks for the help!
I am trying a speed yveltal list rn and it's not going too well. I would go with Gira/Toad as it is an overall good play for standard.

What standard deck should I make. I don't like gimmicky decks (ie Garchomp, only vs ex) and I dont like decks that rely on special energy (ie Giratina) because Jirachi kills it.

No budget, no restrictions.

Jirachi doesnt kill tina. You pmay two escape rope and use it and lysande it up to knock it out. Also jiraci is not as played as it was hyped

If you want to have fun and troll your opponents, play Houndoom Mill.

Hey everyone, long time no see. I haven't played Pokemon in around 2 years and I find myself missing it more practically every week, so I decided I might give it a shot again. Back when I was pretty competitive and was really enjoying the game my favorite decks were(in order): Chandelure/Vileplume, Eelecktrik/Zekrom, and Durant. I really love decks that are satisfying to play (if that makes sense). I started to drift away from the game when EX's were becoming really OP and ges were often decided or could be heavily to one persons favor on turn one. Since I hardly even know what cards are in the format I would really appreciate some suggestions as to decks or even just cards similar to those that I mentioned.
Thanks in advance!
I wasn't around in the HGSS era, but it does sound like Chandelure/Vileplume and Durant were more disruptive decks, and Eels/Zekrom was more consistent/aggressive. In today's format, there are decks like Trevenant BREAK variants (a discussion thread), Giratina-EX/Seismitoad-EX variants and Yveltal-EX/Zoroark/Gallade variants that are disruptive, disruptive and consistent/aggressive respectively, which you may like to look at. If none of those suit your preferences, you may like to look through the Metagame Deck Discussion.

I looked up Honorstoise and I like it a lot! I do have a question, however.

What do I do about Shaymin EX and Jirachi EX? He ran 2 of each and they're pretty high in price.

Shaymin-EX and Jirachi-EX are very important cards in Blastoise variants, as they are HUGE players in getting the necessary Turn 1 Blastoise.

Hi everyone,

as you may have noticed, there are so many really competitive decks out there with great fun potential. Now there are some tournaments coming up and I need a nice deck to play as I slowly get bored of playing YZG over and over again. Because of BKP, I don't know my local meta anymore; it used to be mostly Manectric/Bats, but the last tournament this deck was nonexistent and now we got Garbodor, so... Anyway, here are some decks I considered playing:
M-Manectric/Jolteon/Regice/Articuno/Rough Seas
Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade
Trevenant BREAK/Wobbuffet/Wally(/Meowstic FLF)
Some kind of Garbodor variant
Manectric/Toad/Bats
Lucario/Bats

Don't worry, I also have have fun if my opponent is really raging against me (I enjoyed playing Durant back in the day).

Thanks for your suggestions
PlinfaTheBest
A Trevenant BREAK variant (a discussion thread) sounds like a good option for you if you like the lock type of decks.

Is there a problem with that?
The main problem with using Special Energy cards is that there is a lot of ways in the format that it can be removed, such as by Enhanced Hammer, Jirachi, Xerosic and certain Pokemon. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too much of an issue (especially with Bronzong).

Anyways, if you don't want to run something with Special Energy, is there a particular playstyle/deck type you prefer, such as aggressive, manipulative, control, consistent? Determining what types of decks you like is helpful in deciding what deck to play. :)

Shaymin-EX and Jirachi-EX are very important cards in Blastoise variants, as they are HUGE players in getting the necessary Turn 1 Blastoise.

I figured. Are there any decks that can somewhat get away without using either until I can work my way up to them? I know Random Receiver can be somewhat of a substitute for Jirachi EX at least, but I would still need a deck that doesn't necessarily need tons of draw to maintain what it needs to do.

I figured. Are there any decks that can somewhat get away without using either until I can work my way up to them? I know Random Receiver can be somewhat of a substitute for Jirachi EX at least, but I would still need a deck that doesn't necessarily need tons of draw to maintain what it needs to do.
Random Receiver isn't a great option to substitute for Jirachi. With four Ultra Ball in the deck you essentially have five chances to draw into Jirachi, where you'd need to dedicate many more spots to RR. Jirachi also lets you search out a Supporter that you only run two copies of as opposed to letting you take whichever you hit first.

If you can't spring for Shaymin and Jirachi right now and want to play a competitive deck, I'd look into something else entirely. Gallade/Octillery can hang with some more expensive decks and is much, much less expensive than other options. It's been featured in a couple articles on this site if you need a list to build from, even! :)

Random Receiver isn't a great option to substitute for Jirachi. With four Ultra Ball in the deck you essentially have five chances to draw into Jirachi, where you'd need to dedicate many more spots to RR. Jirachi also lets you search out a Supporter that you only run two copies of as opposed to letting you take whichever you hit first.

If you can't spring for Shaymin and Jirachi right now and want to play a competitive deck, I'd look into something else entirely. Gallade/Octillery can hang with some more expensive decks and is much, much less expensive than other options. It's been featured in a couple articles on this site if you need a list to build from, even! :)

I looked in to it and it looks awesome! Thank you guys! I'm going to see if I can start gathering the pieces! :D

Hi there

I'm new into the Pokémon TCG scene. I'm just wondering what kind of Deck I should play. I really would like to play a mix between Psychic / Electro - cause it was my very first Deck I bought when I was a kid...

Is there something competitive with Pikachu / Mewtwo in it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there

I'm new into the Pokémon TCG scene. I'm just wondering what kind of Deck I should play. I really would like to play a mix between Psychic / Electro - cause it was my very first Deck I bought when I was a kid...

Is there something competitive with Pikachu / Mewtwo in it?

Thanks in advance!

There are variants with both a competitive Raichu (structure) variant and M-Mewtwo variant (Top 8 list), both of which you may be interested in. :3

Last edited:
Back