The VGC 2011 Rules, Biggest Gaming Mistake Ever?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think that with it setup the way it is that it's going to hurt player attendances and turnouts due to the banning of 493 Pokemon from Generation IV in Black & White? If not explain why. Nintendo, Pokemon USA, and TPCi made the dumbest move ever with this.

I personally think that this is a HUGE blow to the Video Game Community of the franchise and a few friends of mine including myself don't like these new Sanctioned Rules at all infact to the point where they will boycott the VGC's this year or refuse to participate in Sanctioned events related to this year's VGCs.

This could single handedly kill the video game franchise of Pokemon. It's bad enough that the Anime is dumbed down and nerfed but the Video Games as well? What's next the TCG?

The format won't change a thing. Pokemon fans that are able to attend will attend. Pokemon is just too big of a franchise for people to bicker about something as little as this. I for one like the idea of using a BW only anyway. If anyone should have a problem, is should be the fact that its double battle only. I prefer singles.

I hate this :( I was so stoked to possibly go to a VGA regionals this year and already started to EV train my team..only to find out this when they announced it. Also it gives JAPAN BW players a HUGE ADVANTAGE at worlds..since they've had BW since SEPTEMBER and only Some of the VGC community here in the US bothered to buy jpn BW, it's stupid And unfair.

This would just make it more challenging for the players to adjust to the new format, but that would be a great way to introduce Black and White to the public in a competitive way.

It makes the game a more challenging and who cares if Japan got BW before us. Pokemon isn't that hard of a game nor were there too drastic a change to where you need a year to create a competitive team.

I don't think it's too bad of a rule. With black and white they are releasing the highest total of pokemon ever released in a generation so it won't be that crippling

NewKidOnTheBlock said:
The format won't change a thing. Pokemon fans that are able to attend will attend. Pokemon is just too big of a franchise for people to bicker about something as little as this. I for one like the idea of using a BW only anyway. If anyone should have a problem, is should be the fact that its double battle only. I prefer singles.

It doesn't matter how big the Pokemon franchise is, people will still want to use their old Pokemon in sanctioned tournaments cause nostalgia sells. A change as dramatic as this isn't, it's only going to cause more people to either quit the video games to play the TCG or just drop the franchise altogether.

mlouden03 said:
I hate this :( I was so stoked to possibly go to a VGA regionals this year and already started to EV train my team..only to find out this when they announced it. Also it gives JAPAN BW players a HUGE ADVANTAGE at worlds..since they've had BW since September and only Some of the VGC community here in the US bothered to buy jpn BW, it's stupid And unfair.

It is stupid and unfair cause it takes away all the hard work and effort of breeding Pokemon from Generation IV only to be rendered obsolete in Generation V for VGC 2011. This is a MAJOR insult to all the veteran players and setting the format up to where everyone is forced to start from scratch is unjust. It's almost like Generation III all over again with the technology cut off from Generation II except it's not nearly as bad.

47bennyg said:
I don't think it's too bad of a rule. With black and white they are releasing the highest total of pokemon ever released in a generation so it won't be that crippling

How is it crippling? They could've banned the use of Weather Teams by getting rid of Kyogre and Groudon and the format would've been fine the way it was but PUSA and TPCi had to take it one step further and ban all the old Pokemon in Generation V for VGC 2011. Unless changes are made for VGC 2012, this could be the final nail in the coffin for Pokemon Video Game Competitive Play.

IMO, it's a dumb rule, but it's not that bad. People will just have to be a bit creative. I'm not much into VGC, but this will not kill the competitive franchise. At all.

Yes it will kill it, give it time. In a Casual play standpoint where you can still run Old Pokemon in Generation V it doesn't hurt but it's the fact that it's unsanctioned that hurts it. What's sanctioned is that you can ONLY run Unova Region Pokemon and just that alone.

I think they will change it back for 2012. With VGC 2011 I think they are just marketing all of their new pokemanz. Then once the newness is somewhat worn off they'll bring the old ones back.

Well they better If they know what's good for them. I'd hate to think of how many people are going to boycott VGC's this year because of the stupid new rules.

^Those who cant adapt to the situation will probably boycott the VGC, but those who will remain focused throughout the entire thing and get their team ready from when Black and White come out will be the ones who are true gamers IMO.

True Gamers? I don't mind building a team of Black & White Only Pokemon since I'm EV Training my last one for Generation IV anyway, it's the fact that many of my friends don't want to try out the new rules where I'm unable to build a team of Unova Exclusives ONLY.

I was talking to my local League Organizer about having Unsanctioned Black & White DS Tournaments where all Pokemon are legal for play however the problem is that we might not get a good turnout unless If it's Sanctioned where the previous 493 Pokemon are banned for tournament use.

I think this will get players newer to the games involved. This way, they don't have to go back to the 3rd Generation games to get certain Pokemon.

That's unless Game Freak does remakes for Ruby and Sapphire for Generation V which I could see happen. It'd be very weird If they do that though and we're not sure If Pokemon Grey is going to be released soon or not.

Which would not happen until AFTER the supposed "grey" version. Just deal with it. It can't affect you that badly and your idea that suddenly Pokemon Competitive Play is going to die is just off base without any source.

Why do I need a source? How would you feel If your favorite Pokemon were banned from tournaments? This is even worse than in Yu-Gi-Oh! when they banhammered all the good cards and they go through a "Rotation" of Unbanning and Banning cards instead of rotating sets like in other TCG/CCG's.

Here's my view. This generation is brand new, and unless you have a Japanese game the new pokemon will be too new and foreign to use if prior generations are available. This brings Pokemon to a crossroads. They could have banned the new pokemon and given people more time to adapt (which would likely lower sales for Black and White), or use new Pokemon only (which would increase sales). Where I see the reason why one would disagree, I have to agree with Pokemon. Other than people who already own the games in Japanese, no one knows how to use the pokemon properly putting everyone at a disadvantage, instead of having absolute chaos with mixed generations.

I say relax, next year the meta will likely settle and Pokemon will likely mix the generations again.

Now that I think about it, this actually makes me want to play competitively more. Everyone will be on a more even play field and with all of the new abilities moves and possibilities, this could be a very fun season for pokemon. I wonder how VGC works. Never played professionally before. I wonder if they will have the traditional single battle tourney's as well, instead of the double battles(don't like it).

In my view, I think this makes it easier for the people paying attention. I love when all my opponents dont bother researching, just show up. Also anyone know if you EV, will it matter after the levels are reduced to 50?

Back