Discussion The Shiny Hunting Thread

Jiro Keiko

Dutch Pokemon Trainer
Hello all. Everyone here aware you can currently use Mystery Gift to acquire a Shiny Tapu Koko in EU?! I'm not sure how much longer (today still for sure) but figured I'd share it here just in case :)

As for shinies in the game itself I have only ever hunted for a shiny eevee (without success >.<) to get Shiny Sylveon. I prefer it Blue. Might retry that now I am back to having time to play!

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
Will input stats, natures and pictures later since my internet is being a brat.

At a chain of 39, I got a Shiny Pikipek. She's a female named Mango.
At a chain of around 90, got a Shiny yellow Oricorio. Her name is Snowy and she has a perfect Attack but not Sp.A. Oh well. I love her anyway.
At a chain of exactly 460, I finally got Shiny Caterpie. He's a male, Timid, and his name is Prisma after one of my best fighters in Spectrobes. He's already Evolved, but only once since I haven't had much time.

My sis didn't want her random-encounter shiny Goldeen and gave it to me. Her name is Tide and she's now a Seaking. She has a No Good Speed stat.

Currently 390 eggs into Magikarp method. What I swap it to will depend on the gender and Ability.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Can we change this to a general Shiny thread? I've been doing most of my hunting in the older games (including the recently-released VC Gold), but I can't seem to find a general Shiny topic and I feel that it would be a waste of space to make another Shiny thread while this one is still going.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Can we change this to a general Shiny thread? I've been doing most of my hunting in the older games (including the recently-released VC Gold), but I can't seem to find a general Shiny topic and I feel that it would be a waste of space to make another Shiny thread while this one is still going.
I've changed the title to "The Shiny Hunting Thread" ;)

Speaking of Shinies, I recently hatched a 5 IV, Modest, shiny Yanma randomly, while breeding for a good IV Yanmega, so I got that going!
Also found a random shiny Swinub in Pokemon Silver, and managed to breed it with a Vulpix, resulting in a shiny Vulpix in 3'ish eggs! :D

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
I've changed the title to "The Shiny Hunting Thread" ;)

Speaking of Shinies, I recently hatched a 5 IV, Modest, shiny Yanma randomly, while breeding for a good IV Yanmega, so I got that going!
Also found a random shiny Swinub in Pokemon Silver, and managed to breed it with a Vulpix, resulting in a shiny Vulpix in 3'ish eggs! :D
Thanks, and congrats on those Shinies! I love Yanma, but I'm not a big Yanmega fan (though I've already told myself that, if I find a Shiny Yanma in VC Gold before I finish the main story of US/UM, I'll transfer and evolve it during my play-through since Yanma's GSC movepool is horrid). I'm wanting a full Shiny team in GS, but I haven't decided if I want to breed for the remaining slots or not.

I'm STILL trying for that full-odds male Shiny Burmy, but I switched to headbutting trees in HGSS instead of hatching in SM (I think I've seen over 20,000 Burmy this year alone). I have been taking the occasional break though. Here are the Shinies I've found since my last post:

Squirtle (HGSS)
zmGSv0P.jpg
Wartortle is my favorite aesthetic Pokémon, so I thought it was about time I tried getting a full-odds Shiny one. I spent a few hours trying to SR one in LeafGreen, then I remembered that you could also get the Kanto Starters in the post-game of HGSS and switched games. I was caught off-guard by the green shell after only 6 resets! I named her Torrin (from Torrent) and used her as my partner in a new file of SoulSilver where I evolved her into Wartortle and taught her Ice Punch. Now she's on Moon as a permanent member of my main team.

Exeggcute (HGSS)
5Wfr7ws.jpg
I finally got a Shiny while headbutting for a Shiny Burmy, but not the one I was trying for. I figure I'll transfer her to US/UM and use her during my play-through as Alolan Exeggutor. (I changed her nickname to Belfry since I took the photo.)

Weepinbell (GS Virtual Console)
Xeb4MTY.jpg
I found a Shiny Tangela first, but it fled before I could catch it. I think Weepinbell popped-up the next day. I'm a far bigger fan of Victreebel than Tangela, so the Shiny Weepinbell more than made up for losing it. (He's a Victreebel now and I changed his name to Lector.)

Misdreavus (GS Virtual Console)
RVqGGOC.jpg

EDIT: Changed her name to Alchemy (or Kimmy for short)
Night fell and I decided to do some Shiny-hunting at Mt. Silver in hope of finding a Shiny Misdreavus or Quagsire while level-grinding Lector. I wasn't actually expecting to find either though, especially Misdreavus! It's been a while since a Shiny has made me exclaim out-loud.

Mareep (GS Virtual Console)
ScJ0ZsL.jpg
I've played a significant amount of Gen. II over the years, but I've matched my Shiny-encounter record in those games over those years in less than a month! It feels like the Shiny rate was boosted, but nothing I've read has mentioned anything about the odds changing. Guess I'm just really lucky! (She's an Ampharos now.)

Bellsprout (GS Virtual Console)
No photo
I was REALLY hoping for a Shiny Lickitung (one of my favorite Pokémon, though I prefer its normal colors), but I found a Shiny Bellsprout instead. I don't want to use doubles, so this guy sadly won't be added to my team. I might use him in US/UM though.

Corsola (GS Virtual Console)
05LSBES.jpg
I was scared of finding a duplicate Shiny, so I moved-on to another hunting/grinding spot. I remembered that lv40 Corsola could be found inside the Day-Care, so I thought that might be a good location. After a few days of fishing and grinding, one of my favorite aesthetic Shinies ever popped-up! I'm glad it was one of these instead of Krabby/Kingler. :D

Last edited:

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I JUST GOT A SHINY REGIGIGAS IN ALPHA SAPPHIRE!!
ZDVV780.jpg
I was soft-resetting trying to get a Regigigas with good stats, and a SHINY showed up after ONLY 9 RESETS!! I wasn't even looking for a shiny!! I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE SHINY CHARM!!
NgN8OEN.jpg
His name is Blueberry and I love him.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Decided to breed for a shiny Litten, since they have a relatively short hatching time, and managed to hatch one after 30'ish eggs, so I got that going for me! I thought I wasn't going to like it when I first saw it, but it's actually really cute :3

Also managed to SOS chain for a shiny Murkrow, which I caught in a Master Ball that I got on a random Finneon from a WT!

So yeah, welcome Torra and Poncho to the team! :D

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I soft reset 2584 times for shiny Ho-Oh in Gold VC, and:
DSCN5767.JPG

And just a few days ago I got this:
image.jpg

I feel lucky, lol.

(Except in Alpha Sapphire... still haven't gotten a shiny there... in 230 hours :/)

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
So recently I've decided to have complete Shiny Families, which, so far, have resulted in a Shiny Alolan Rattata, a Shiny Crabrawler, a shiny Hakamo-o (now a Kommo-o), a shiny Charjabug, a shiny Bounsweet, a shiny Trumbeak, a shiny Beldum and a shiny Finneon! I'm currently MM'ing for a Shiny Igglybuff in a Dream Ball, since I like having my shinies in specific Poke Balls :D

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Not something I was currently hunting, but this popped-up when I was bouncing between my Burmy and Lickitung hunts in HeartGold:

N9juB1T.jpg

Fortunately, I like Magnemite. I remember as a kid daydreaming about having one IRL.

I won't evolve it into Magnezone, but I haven't decided if I'll evolve it into Magneton or not. I do like Magneton, but Magnemite has a certain charm to it... I might transfer it to Ultra Sun when I get it later today and use it during my play-through (along with my Shiny Exeggcute from SoulSilver).

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
So an Elekid pops-up literally one step away from leaving the last patch of grass on my way down from Mt. Hokulani and I'm thinking "Ah, another Pokémon I'm not interested in using for this playthrough. I'll just run from i- WAIT, DID IT JUST SPARKLE!?"

Meet Garfield, my first full-odds Shiny encounter in Pokémon Ultra Sun. Yay for playthrough Shinies!

IqMVsVF.jpg
AHfG1tV.jpg

I still can't tell the difference between normal and Shiny Elekid without seeing them side-by-side.

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Just transferred up my Ho-Oh and Slugma from Gold VC.
6Ht0z6r.jpg

6nqniSe.jpg

And I was on my way to Mt Silver, and this popped up (already transferred):
lpWVcp7.jpg

Maybe I've got my luck back, who knows.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Just transferred up my Ho-Oh and Slugma from Gold VC.
I'm so jealous of that Sneasel! Not only is it male (I prefer the longer feather), but its nature is perfect (not to mention that it comes from the generation it debuted in). Nice one!

Really jealous of that Ho-Oh as well. I still haven't battled it on VC Gold, so I figure I might SR for it eventually myself. I'd really like to get Shiny Tyrogue first, though. Why so much dialogue? Dx

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I'm so jealous of that Sneasel! Not only is it male (I prefer the longer feather), but its nature is perfect (not to mention that it comes from the generation it debuted in). Nice one!

Really jealous of that Ho-Oh as well. I still haven't battled it on VC Gold, so I figure I might SR for it eventually myself. I'd really like to get Shiny Tyrogue first, though. Why so much dialogue? Dx

Well to be honest, you can determine the nature by the current exp it has when you transfer it. Here’s the table:
C2_tQ5QWEAE_5y5.jpg

Also, dialogue?

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Well to be honest, you can determine the nature by the current exp it has when you transfer it. Here’s the table:
C2_tQ5QWEAE_5y5.jpg

Also, dialogue?
Well that's nifty! I think I do recall reading something about before VCGS, but didn't look into it much since I didn't download the Gen. I games. Thanks for reminding me.

Unlike SRing in front of a Legendary, there's a lot of text when you're SRing in front of the Karate King for a Shiny Tyrogue. That's the main reason I keep taking breaks from it. I wish it went faster...

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
So I just got to the Ultra Warp Ride part of Ultra Moon, and I'm having trouble finding White Wormholes, which take me to the Ultra Megalopolis. However, my second random encounter is a Shiny Yanmega. Literally just a random encounter, and only my second one ever at that.

Her name is Raspberry and I love her <3

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Just got a shiny Buneary on Route 1, just outside of Iki Town, in Ultra Moon:

D00gbm1.jpg

Was starting to look for Ledyba (at night, I might add... which is impossible), and this was the first encounter I had. Lol.

EDIT: Forgot that I got a shiny Audino in an Ultra Wormhole yesterday. Here's the pic:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Finally got my Shiny Lickitung! Now I just need to get a full-odds Shiny Mothim for my dream team.

1JZNvTF.jpg

Lickitung's always been one of my favorites. I remember getting a card of it at Burger King and thought it was the coolest thing.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I've gotten a few since my last post:

nwiz1bJ.jpg

RcZQeRX.jpg

OUs4U5c.jpg

Xerneas: ~200 SRs
Kyogre: ~3500 SRs
Rayquaza: ~5500 SRs

(Also gotten quite a few non-legends, but those were in wormholes so they were easy.)

Currently working on Celesteela.

EDIT: OMG, just got a shiny Cresselia in ~100 SRs. :D.
TPfyssp.jpg

Last edited: