RSE/FRLG The Pokemon Emerald Cloning Glitch

Strike!

Aspiring Trainer
The following is a post on how to clone Pokemon from GFAQ's Pokemon Emerald board:

1. Deposit the pokemon you want to duplicate in a box at any PC, and any box (up to five).
2. Save.
3. Take out the pokemon you want to duplicate from the box.
4. Go to the Battle Tower and talk to the lady on the far right, the one who hosts the Wireless battles.
5. Challenge the event and pick two eligible pokemon. It does not matter which event it is, as long as you have eligible pokemon.
6. The lady will ask if you want to enter those two pokemon. Select yes, and a two-second pause will occur.
7. When it asks if you want to save, say no and reset.
The post also contained a slide show if you don't understand the text. This glitch only works in Emerald version.

There is also a trick I read about on SPPF for copying items fast:

1. Go to the PC and, using the "Move Items" option, equip some items to Pokemon in the Boxes. (WARNING: if the pokemon already had an item it will be lost)
2. Exit the PC and Save.
3. Enter the PC and retrieve the Items using the "Move Items" option again.
4. Go to the Battle Tower and talk to the lady on the far right, the one who hosts the Wireless battles.
5. Challenge the event and pick two eligible pokemon. It does not matter which event it is, as long as you have eligible pokemon.
6. The lady will ask if you want to enter those two pokemon. Select yes, and a two-second pause will occur.
7. When it asks if you want to save, say no and reset.
8. Upon loading the saved game you will have all those items in the Bag AND in the Pokemon in the Boxes.
I modified greatfire's original instructions to make them easier to understand.

WARNING: If you soft reset/turn of the power during the two-second pause it may ERASE your save file. So use with CAUTION!

~Strike!

WARNING: If you save the game, and move / deposit a monster from your party to your PC (instead of withdrawing it from your PC), and then continue the trick as normal, the monster DELETES itself.  Please exercise caution when attempting this trick, and don't confuse depositing with withdrawing.  Make sure the monster that you are cloning is in the PC before you save the first time, and then, after withdrawing the monster, do not do anything else with the PC until the trick is over.

~DocRobot_K-176

RE: Pokemon Emerald: Attack of the Clones!

Wow. that's unbelievable. I thought that they said it was glitch-free? hmmm. guess not. I might try this :)

thanx for the info.

Arcanine out.

I can't FREAKIN' believe it!! It worked with a test Trapinch!!

(Goes to GBA right now)

Can someone write a simpler guide i've been trying for ages and it has'nt worked

Hm. Usually glitches (ie our beloved Missingno~ :D) tend to have a negative side like say, destroying your cart. For those who have tried it, have you experienced anything odd yet? Cuz I have some things on there I am definitely not willing to lose!

no I tryed it and nothing has happened it works to now I have 3 rayquaza's and just to be safe I already traded all of my best pokemon over to my other emerald game.

I thought it was a glitch free game tooo_O I'll go try it out...

H@LY C@W! It worked! SAY HELLO TO 6+ LUCKY EGGs AND 6+ EXP.SHARE and unlimited Nuggets and Rare Candies!!!

Ah, the good old days of getting rich thru a glitch are back! (whoa internal rhyme :p)

This is crazy business. I tested this myself, and sure enough, I now have 2 Absol with the exact same stats. I had hope that this wouldn't happen, because now I feel tempted to exploit it. Ugh...

Overall, this seems like a harmless glitch (harmless in terms of possible data corruption), as long as those 2 seconds go by. I don't think the game is saving anymore after those 2 seconds are up. If it makes you feel comfortable, wait an entire minute before shutting off the game. Still, I would exercise caution; there may be side effects we don't know about. This was true for the Missingno glitch, and for the GS cloning glitch. Hopefully, hackers will discover the truth, and we will understand exactly why this glitch works the way it does.

Wow... this is earth-shattering stuff. It is shocking to hear about, considering all of the work that the programmers put into making it so that this wouldn't happen again, especially with the memory card stuff. It has been a good few years since GSC was released, and nothing like this has ever surfaced since...

RE:  Pokemon Emerald: Attack of the Clones!

DocRobot_K-176 said:
This is crazy business.  I tested this myself, and sure enough, I now have 2 Absol with the exact same stats.  I had hope that this wouldn't happen, because now I feel tempted to exploit it.  Ugh...

Overall, this seems like a harmless glitch (harmless in terms of possible data corruption), as long as those 2 seconds go by.  I don't think the game is saving anymore after those 2 seconds are up.  If it makes you feel comfortable, wait an entire minute before shutting off the game.   Still, I would exercise caution; there may be side effects we don't know about.  This was true for the Missingno glitch, and for the GS cloning glitch.  Hopefully, hackers will discover the truth, and we will understand exactly why this glitch works the way it does.

Wow... this is earth-shattering stuff.  It is shocking to hear about, considering all of the work that the programmers put into making it so that this wouldn't happen again, especially with the memory card stuff.  It has been a good few years since GSC was released, and nothing like this has ever surfaced since...

You took the words right out of me... oh well! Looks it's time to start making that team of six KyogreXP

According to some posters on SPPF the glitch works by merging the save file with the Pokemon in the box and the quick auto save with the Pokemon in your party. When it combines them you end up with an exact copy of up to five of your Pokemon.

*edit*

What does it mean exactly by"leaving the PC"?
It means you should exit the PC menu (the one that pops up when you press the "A" button in front of any PC).

what a great find! Although I'll try not to use it too much...

OMFGTFWTALASLTFASG...I can't FREAKIN' believe it...I tried it over 78 times (Yes, I have 79 Rayquazas with a lot of different items), and until now, it seems all perfect to me. Nothing has ran wrong, absolutely nothing. This thing is simply sweer ^^

DocRobot_K-176 said:
This is crazy business. I tested this myself, and sure enough, I now have 2 Absol with the exact same stats. I had hope that this wouldn't happen, because now I feel tempted to exploit it. Ugh...

Overall, this seems like a harmless glitch (harmless in terms of possible data corruption), as long as those 2 seconds go by. I don't think the game is saving anymore after those 2 seconds are up. If it makes you feel comfortable, wait an entire minute before shutting off the game. Still, I would exercise caution; there may be side effects we don't know about. This was true for the Missingno glitch, and for the GS cloning glitch. Hopefully, hackers will discover the truth, and we will understand exactly why this glitch works the way it does.

Wow... this is earth-shattering stuff. It is shocking to hear about, considering all of the work that the programmers put into making it so that this wouldn't happen again, especially with the memory card stuff. It has been a good few years since GSC was released, and nothing like this has ever surfaced since...

And anyway, DRK, come to the dark side...try it...you won't feel afraid, you'll like it...OMFG, we got cookies, so come here right now!!

Lol, just kidding. Anyway, I just think that there's absolutely NO (emphasys on NO) way to let a game to be glitch-free. Someone will always find something like this in any Pokémon game. I think I should find a way to do that on R/S ;)

Strike! said:
According to some posters on SPPF the glitch works by merging the save file with the Pokemon in the box and the quick auto save with the Pokemon in your party. When it combines them you end up with an exact copy of up to five of your Pokemon.

Interesting. If this is the case, then this glitch is more "clean" than the cloning glitch in GSC, since it is letting the game complete its task, rather than shutting off of the game when it is trying to save.

RE:   Pokemon Emerald: Attack of the Clones!

Lord9511 said:
OMFGTFWTALASLTFASG...I can't FREAKIN' believe it...I tried it over 78 times (Yes, I have 79 Rayquazas with a lot of different items), and until now, it seems all perfect to me.

You can do this glitch with up to five Pokemon per time.

Strike! said:
Lord9511 said:
OMFGTFWTALASLTFASG...I can't FREAKIN' believe it...I tried it over 78 times (Yes, I have 79 Rayquazas with a lot of different items), and until now, it seems all perfect to me.

You can do this glitch with five Pokemon per time.

'o'

I can't believe it...I tried it 78 times and didn't know that it could be done with 5 per time...>.<

Will this trick work in FR/LG?:)

Back