The Loch Ness Monster- Dinosaur or Elephant?

Do you think the Loch Ness Monster is real?

• Yes

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Hi everyone

Basically, I have been interested in this entity for a while, and it suddenly dawned on me, could it be an Elephant? I know that it's a little farfetched, but if you look at this http://www.dancewithshadows.com/society/images/loch-ness-monster-1.jpg , and http://z.about.com/d/paranormal/1/0/3/B/loch_ness_1_lg.jpg , and compare them to an Elephant, it looks like it can't be anything else. What are your views? Share them here.

Your links don't work when clicked, you need to take the commas out of them.

Anyway, the Elephant comparison seems to be a pretty good one for that figure in the water. It could just as easily be a floating log, or multiple objects next to each other, it's a still image that doesn't give any real context. And as someone who used to take loch ness/bigfoot/aliens very seriously I'm gonna go out and say that none of that stuff is real, and I'd happily give reasons if anybody is into any "weird/paranormal" stuff like that.

Not to mention the Loch Ness picture that started it all:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Lochnessmonster.jpg
Was revealed as a hoax in 1994.

Well then you should first question yourself what an elephant is doing in the Loch Ness?!

Anyway it obviously doesn't exist, if there's one there must be dozens of them in order to prevent a population from going extinct. How much of them have we seen since the first picture? A couple of dozen (most of them all taken by Loch Ness believers), anyway comparing to the size of what the actual monster should be it isn't enough.

And like Porygon already mentioned, it all started with a hoax. If you truely believe in it, go to the lake and you'll see everything suddenly becomes a Loch Ness monster. People see what they want to see.

Lol I highly doubt those pics is the Loch Ness monster and it's a hoax like Porygon said. Plus, if he was real, it would be a dinosaur :p

dragonpokemonpwn said:
Lol I highly doubt those pics is the Loch Ness monster and it's a hoax like Porygon said. Plus, if he was real, it would be a dinosaur :p
If the Loch Ness monster was real, it wouldn't be a dinosaur either. Since, as we can guess from the vaguely and completely different descriptions of it, it should be some sort of Plesiosaur-like reptile. And since Plesiosaurs aren't part of the dinosaur branch, it is completely stupid to say the Loch Ness monster is. So it should be a Sauropterygia instead of a Dinosauria.

Well I guess it is within the bounds of the imagination that it is an ancient sea creature, but if it was "revealed" in 1933 isn't there a possibility that it has died? Also, if it was a Pleisosaur then it would've been seen ages ago, as they need to go to the surface of the water to breathe several times a day.

I remember watching a documentry on the monster itself. They found it. It was just an unusually big reptile. /end story

People freak out at the slightest things, and go to standards like faking to get their point across. Most myths play out like that. Take the colossal squid for example, it made itself known as a "Cracken" but it was simply a rare sub category of another common creature. As the elephant theory goes, elephants can't live under water xD

Porygon said:
as someone who used to take loch ness/bigfoot/aliens very seriously I'm gonna go out and say that none of that stuff is real, and I'd happily give reasons if anybody is into any "weird/paranormal" stuff like that.

Hit me. I know that a good amount of all that stuff is fake, but still you gotta consider some facts and evidence that is very credible. I also I find it stupid whenever someone thinks that soemthign like the Loch Ness monster is a single creature. If any cryptozoological animals are real, they would be a whole undiscovered species, or maybe a rare mutant animal, the latter much less likely.

paddy185 said:
Hi everyone

Basically, I have been interested in this entity for a while, and it suddenly dawned on me, could it be an Elephant? I know that it's a little farfetched, but if you look at this http://www.dancewithshadows.com/society/images/loch-ness-monster-1.jpg , and http://z.about.com/d/paranormal/1/0/3/B/loch_ness_1_lg.jpg , and compare them to an Elephant, it looks like it can't be anything else. What are your views? Share them here.

As far as I am aware, there are no elephants in Scotland outside of a zoo... And even then, I'm not sure they have elephants in any Scottish zoos...

And that photograph of 'Nessie' is a hoax, I believe. The photographer spilled the beans a while ago.

The Loch Ness monster is a Plesiosaur, if confirmed to exist. In the technical sense, they are not dinosaurs; that is correct.
Well then you should first question yourself what an elephant is doing in the Loch Ness?!
it's like how them strange people think behemoth is an elephant or hippo (it definitely wasn't)

DNA said:
The Loch Ness monster is a Plesiosaur, if confirmed to exist. In the technical sense, they are not dinosaurs; that is correct.it's like how them strange people think behemoth is an elephant or hippo (it definitely wasn't)

Eh, if Nessie was/is actually real, it's likely that it's a species of Pliosaur rather than species of Plesiosaur.

Nessie isn't the only "sea monster" in the world. There have been other similar 'sea serpents' spotted in lakes and oceans around the world.

One problem I think a lot of people have is that the word lake is thrown around extremely losely, and people often assosciate 'Loch Ness' with that of a lake... Well uhh... Loch Ness is not a lake... >_<

Pandamore said:
I remember watching a documentry on the monster itself. They found it. It was just an unusually big reptile. /end story

People freak out at the slightest things, and go to standards like faking to get their point across. Most myths play out like that. Take the colossal squid for example, it made itself known as a "Cracken" but it was simply a rare sub category of another common creature. As the elephant theory goes, elephants can't live under water xD
Well, resource please? Since I happen to know reptiles are cold-blooded and won't survive in a place like the Loch Ness where the water is just above freezing.

Also elephants can live under water. As you can see from the photo they tend to take some 'underwater-walks' now and then. Since their trunk is still above the water surface they are able to breath. But as you can guess, no they don't spend hours a day doing this.

Krucifier said:
Eh, if Nessie was/is actually real, it's likely that it's a species of Pliosaur rather than species of Plesiosaur.
Uhm, Pliosauroidea are subspecies of the order Plesiosauria. So if it was a Pliosauroidea it would also be a Plesiosauria. But not necessarily vice versa.

Anyway, by looking at the photographs taken from the Loch Ness monster and descriptions I would say it is a Plesiosauroidea instead of a Pliosauroidea. Small head, long neck, snake-like appearance. While Pliosauroidea have much larger heads compared to their body and almost look like crocodiles with flippers.

(btw, I think it's better to use the Latin names to avoid any misunderstanding)

Pokequaza said:
Well, resource please? Since I happen to know reptiles are cold-blooded and won't survive in a place like the Loch Ness where the water is just above freezing.

I have no idea, the thing played on National Geographic and a similar version on Discovery. And about the elephant thing, how are they "living" in water if they can't spend hours in it?

Pandamore said:
I have no idea, the thing played on National Geographic and a similar version on Discovery. And about the elephant thing, how are they "living" in water if they can't spend hours in it?
Well at least they will survive for a certain amount of time, till they get hungry I guess.

It could of been an elephant, it would of been able to breathe as it was poking out its trunk which people believed was Nessie's neck/head.

I always thought that Nessie wasn't real and they found out it was a hoax, if it was real then it had to of been a pretty big sea creature, yeah, pretty god like big.

Pandamore said:

But you are missing the point I made a while ago. There are no elephants in Scotland anyway.

Rather than the Loch Ness monster it could be an interesting possibility for sightings of soemthing else, known as the "Mokyele Mbembe" or something like that. It's said to be "a living dinosaur" that ahs been sighted in some place in Africa in rivers. It's supposed to resemble a dinosaur but thinking about it I'm shure there might be elephants in the are that could have walked into the river and stuck their trunks out, making themselves look like long reptilian necks sticking out of the river...

Meaty said:
Hit me. I know that a good amount of all that stuff is fake, but still you gotta consider some facts and evidence that is very credible. I also I find it stupid whenever someone thinks that soemthign like the Loch Ness monster is a single creature. If any cryptozoological animals are real, they would be a whole undiscovered species, or maybe a rare mutant animal, the latter much less likely.
Well sure, that's why I took it very seriously for a long period of time.

I have a lot to say so I'm just going to ramble.

First off the big main problem is the best pictures/film is always blurry, the best personal accounts are always only spoken.

Even for those being honest about seeing something, it's easy to notice something when you're aware of the potential. Being at Loch Ness sure is a convenient place to notice anything weird in the water.
Feel a cold breeze on your shoulder, see something vague out of the corner of your eye, or hear weird clomping sounds in your house during the day? Whatever. Happens at night? GHOSTS.

I know occasionally people on those specials will do some extreme amount of sonar detection/(something scientific-y related with the crypto thing) and come up with some sort of kinda-interesting point or two. But there's a few things to consider:
1. They don't "really" know what they're doing/talking about. I know this sounds like a cop-out reason, but it actually does happen, especially with the non-professionals using technology we can't be sure they fully understand or can relay the results back without inputting their own bias.
2. Even if they do give us something kinda interesting the evidence never pieces itself together in a way that would give it scientific credibility. People get different piles of evidence that they typically jump the gun on coming up with, and if these end up being potentially interesting finds they never cross-verify each other, otherwise we'd have some sort of case.

I used to always wonder when watching these shows and seeing how the discovery channel has to struggle to put a team of four together, why don't we get huge teams of real pros on this stuff? It's because pros have gone over it long ago, probably many times, and every time come to the conclusion that their is not sufficient reason to believe anything is happening. People who come up with evidence aren't being scientific and ruling out more likely explanations, they are thinking with the mindset "Anything good I find is evidence of this probably". You HAVE to rule out the more mundane explanations first. People deliberately lie, mistake things, large "unidentified" figures in the water are "unidentified" and can be multiple things, etc.

Also those documentaries and stuff deliberately play up the likelihood to make the program more interesting. I always thought the ones where they didn't say this stuff had a chance of being real to be disappointing. Honestly, 90% of the time all you have to do is google something they're telling you and somebody has a very good potential explanation for what's going on.

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/
If you're really interested in hearing the other side of arguments like this in general, I HIGHLY recommend giving this podcast a listen - and to keep with it if you don't like their negativity about some things at first, because they always eventually cover a topic appropriately. (Also it's a good podcast for cool science facts n stuff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back