The game is changing - is it getting out of hand?

RE: The game is way out of hand!

I for one think we need MORE energy acceleration. I want something like deluge on a basic EX pokemon and an item card that searches our decks for 4 energies and puts them in our hand. As well as tool cards that boost attacks.

I want the game to turn into who ever goes first wins.

(note: this is sarcasm)

Riskbreakers said:
This is exactly the reason why I play Cardfight!! Vanguard competitively and just judge Pokemon Tournaments. Pokemon is just one broken card after the other. It also doesn't help when you can run over players with the EX decks even when I just borrow the deck and do not even memorize the decklist. (I do know the general strat of the deck but was never told of the deck's techs and whatnot)

I so agree with that. I think I would rather play Sonic 2006 much more than to play Pokemon TCG competitively.

The format sucks. I agree completely. Last format was "more balanced", and HGSS-NV was actually skill based, sort of. The SP format was amazing, and SPs could be kept in check, and the format was varied. Rogues were viable, hard to believe, ikr.
But, some decks still take skill. Darkrai/Hammertime/variants and Dusknoir variants are two examples, and Ho-oh EX Box could fit in there somewhere as well. Unfortunately, every other deck is straight forward, and literally anyone can run meta and do well. Skilled players still win, because they can outsmart/play their opponent.

RogueChomp said:
The format sucks. I agree completely. Last format was "more balanced", and HGSS-NV was actually skill based, sort of. The SP format was amazing, and SPs could be kept in check, and the format was varied. Rogues were viable, hard to believe, ikr.
But, some decks still take skill. Darkrai/Hammertime/variants and Dusknoir variants are two examples, and Ho-oh EX Box could fit in there somewhere as well. Unfortunately, every other deck is straight forward, and literally anyone can run meta and do well. Skilled players still win, because they can outsmart/play their opponent.

I forgot who in the forums said this but I agreed with him when he said that those Basic Beatdown decks take more skill than the Stage 2 decks. Those are too auto-pilot once the Stage 2 goes up.

The SP format sucked IMO, the last format was meh. The MD-BW format was the worst format in the history of Pokemon TCG as well.

Blui129 said:
MrSquarepants said:
Holo Rares usually are worth .50 to a dollar now, it's pretty bad for 4$ packs. And the rares are even worse. (remembers Next Destinies.... ugh)

The only reason why they are so cheap is because shops like TnT try to be cheaper than everyone else, and because of that cards are either super expensive or dirt cheap. It's all marketing tactics.

So not only is the game out of control so is the marketing! *whispers*aswellasthemarketfortheoldschoolcardstoday... *cough*

I dunno, I would like to be able to get rid of any non holo cards I pull for at least .50 cents and any holo cards I get I would like get rid of for 2-5$ or higher if it's playable. But for the majority... not even close. I pulled a Leavanny today and I just laffed at it cause it's so bad. Not even worth a dime. Oh how I wish booster packs only cost 2$ like they did in the old days! But now since those are so old they are 3-10x as more expensive than today's cards.

But complaining ain't going to fix nothing, the big people in chairs are all just swimming in cash, but I am interested in what the next will bring us, they do look like they are tweaking things up a bit to make things less broken.

Yeah, I've ESPECIALLY noticed since I started playing MTG a few months ago. I was like, "woah, I actually need to think!" xD I still love collecting the Pokemon cards though, not just for nostalgia, but a lot of them are just plain gorgeous lol.
**Also, Pokemon packs in my area all go for $4.19-$4.99 whereas Magic packs go for $3.99 or less AND you get 15 cards instead of just 10... :$

You know, if exes were evolutions, they wouldn't be as powerful as they are now. I mean they'd be powerful for sure, but they wouldn't overshadow 95% of the other cards. There would be some balance, but it would require some strategy for players exploiting EXs. As it stands now, anyone using EXes can just drop them down instanly and kill everything. Players who make decks involving any of the other cards, no matter how unique or creative, get stomped. Even if they get their evolved pokemon out, it will still be one shot by a lot of basic EXes. This gets even worse considering how using just basics frees up deck space for more trainers and stuff.

The two prize thing isn't even that big of a deal on basics that have higher HP and attacks than the mightiest stage 2s.

Riskbreakers said:
This is exactly the reason why I play Cardfight!! Vanguard competitively and just judge Pokemon Tournaments. Pokemon is just one broken card after the other.

I dunno man, I've seen the direction Vanguard is taking with Break Rides and it doesn't look good. It's also not a good TCG to play competitively when most games are pretty much dictated by an absurd amount of luck and/or getting grade locked. Casual wise Vanguard is still pretty solid although I see the new Z/X TCG being alot better competitively than Vanguard cause it plays alot like World of Warcraft TCG and Magic. There's even a new Anime series based on it which hasn't been released in Japan yet so yeah...

As for Pokemon TCG, sure the game isn't the way it was back in DP-On and MD-On when it was more balanced but it's nowhere near as bad in terms of power creep in Yu-Gi-Oh!, I still enjoy playing Vanguard as much as Pokemon TCG however I'm starting to have my doubts about Bushiroad's handling of the game itself not to say that they're the second coming of Konami but they seem to be getting there. Big Basics do take up most of the current format in Pokemon but there's cards nowadays that helps get around it and I think the TCG is slowly coming back to it's roots with Setup decks being solid metagame decks again.

Card Slinger J said:
Riskbreakers said:
This is exactly the reason why I play Cardfight!! Vanguard competitively and just judge Pokemon Tournaments. Pokemon is just one broken card after the other.

I dunno man, I've seen the direction Vanguard is taking with Break Rides and it doesn't look good. It's also not a good TCG to play competitively when most games are pretty much dictated by an absurd amount of luck and/or getting grade locked. Casual wise Vanguard is still pretty solid although I see the new Z/X TCG being alot better competitively than Vanguard cause it plays alot like World of Warcraft TCG and Magic. There's even a new Anime series based on it which hasn't been released in Japan yet so yeah...

As for Pokemon TCG, sure the game isn't the way it was back in DP-On and MD-On when it was more balanced but it's nowhere near as bad in terms of power creep in Yu-Gi-Oh!, I still enjoy playing Vanguard as much as Pokemon TCG however I'm starting to have my doubts about Bushiroad's handling of the game itself not to say that they're the second coming of Konami but they seem to be getting there. Big Basics do take up most of the current format in Pokemon but there's cards nowadays that helps get around it and I think the TCG is slowly coming back to it's roots with Setup decks being solid metagame decks again.

I've played Soulless OTT against Break Rides. I can handle them as long as I don't grade lock like a madman.

If I may compare Bushiroad to TPCI in terms of handling a game in sales

-TPCI sells overpriced boosters, doesn't give any promos for buying in bulk
-Bushiroad however gave free deckboxes (Plastic ones not the bullshit cardboard ones that come in the Elite Trainer Box) for buying 2 boxes. They even upped the ante by giving a free PLAYMAT for buying 4 or more boxes.

As for the tournament scenario, it's unfair to compare Bushiroad vs TPCI because of the age factor. Bushiroad has only been in the game for a year while TPCI has been in here for more than ten.

For the record CSJ, I do not consider Blastoise, Klingklang, Hydreigon and Eels as "setup decks". They're just a glorified version of beatdown with something different attached to them. These decks are way less skill based than even Mewtwo-Landorus

Pokemon doesn't have any luck attached to it? Try getting N-locked, Supporter screwed, bad flips for Hammertime. I tell you, I have played both games competitively, and while getting grade stuck does suck, Vanguard ultimately takes more skill to play than Pokemon especially in this current meta.

Not to go off topic but I highly agree with the booster pricing. I bought 16 packs today (got a bit of a gambling problem) and got such bad pulls that I probably could make... 20$, minus several shipping fees and ebay fees coming down to about 8$ profit tops on ALL the cards I pulled. Just got a Zapdos EX, and a bunch of holos and rares that aren't worth much. So yeeeeahhhh... if not for the cool looking EX's, full arts or shinies I'd not bother buying cards anymore. :X I tried to get into the game but I lost pretty quickly online.

I doubt packs will be cheaper when gen 6 is out, the card game would have to enter a lull where sales drop dramatically in order to lower prices but for now, the EX factor has everyone hook, line and sinker. Myself included. I don't think I'll bother with Plasma Freeze when it comes out because it's actually become quite stressful for me buying all these packs and having to sell, trade and getting rid of them! I've collected like... 7% of what I pull. Which is so, so, very very bad.

It's cool that Bushiroad gives out bonuses for buying boxes but they're only new right now. TCPI used to give out awesome box toppers for buying a box but they're like "eh we don't care, these suckers will buy the box anyway cause they need that one card to win." So, perhaps when Vanguard becomes more popular and with age they'll probably do the same with the pricing and benefits. Not to break your mellow or nothing but I'll run now before you end up breaking my legs.

Riskbreakers said:
I've played Soulless OTT against Break Rides. I can handle them as long as I don't grade lock like a madman.

Grade lock in Vanguard is alot like getting mana screwed in Magic but not nearly as bad as getting donked in Pokemon, it's just one of those things that can't be controlled in the game so I fail to see how someone could purposely get into that kind of scenario. If Break Rides had an actual cost to them they'd be more balanced, you could easily hit for 30k+ with them where you need to rely on Perfect Guards more often.

Riskbreakers said:
If I may compare Bushiroad to TPCI in terms of handling a game in sales

-TPCI sells overpriced boosters, doesn't give any promos for buying in bulk
-Bushiroad however gave free deckboxes (Plastic ones not the bullshit cardboard ones that come in the Elite Trainer Box) for buying 2 boxes. They even upped the ante by giving a free PLAYMAT for buying 4 or more boxes.

So what If TPCI sells overpriced boosters, that's why you trade for singles or buy for them online through eBay. It's probably no different for Magic as it is in Pokemon, and while it's true that TPCI doesn't give away free Playmats like Bushiroad does with Vanguard they usually give them out for players who attend Worlds every year. I agree that Bushiroad does it better than TPCI does in the Playmat department, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Riskbreakers said:
As for the tournament scenario, it's unfair to compare Bushiroad vs TPCI because of the age factor. Bushiroad has only been in the game for a year while TPCI has been in here for more than ten.

For the record CSJ, I do not consider Blastoise, Klingklang, Hydreigon and Eels as "setup decks". They're just a glorified version of beatdown with something different attached to them. These decks are way less skill based than even Mewtwo-Landorus

I agree with you on comparing the tournament scenario of Bushiroad vs. TPCI in their handling of their respective TCG's as being unfair, but the fact remains that because of how fast paced Vanguard is compared to Pokemon Best of 1 Double Elimination isn't all that great where Best of 1 Swiss of 5 or more Rounds is suited better with Pokemon due to the way the TCG is designed. In Vanguard most sanctioned tournaments should be Best 2 out of 3 Swiss or Double Elimination cause Best of 1 Double Elimination doesn't give players a chance to redeem themselves in the next game of the same round where Best of 1 is alot of times decided by luck.

So maybe you're right that Blastoise, Klingklang, Hydreigon, and Eels aren't "Setup Decks" but at the very least it's a good shift in the Pokemon TCG's current format to get the kind of format we had back in DP-On and MD-On where Benched Pokemon with Abilities or Poke-Powers/Bodies actually mattered except Catcher is still somewhat of a problem but yet at the same time it's a double-edged sword. Easier access to the staple itself via promo would help improve the TCG overall, but then again TPCI decided not to go that route. Remember how Claydol GE helped improve the overall consistency of every deck in the game and we didn't have to worry about Gust of Wind/Pokemon Catcher? We need to get back to those times in Pokemon.

Riskbreakers said:
Pokemon doesn't have any luck attached to it? Try getting N-locked, Supporter screwed, bad flips for Hammertime. I tell you, I have played both games competitively, and while getting grade stuck does suck, Vanguard ultimately takes more skill to play than Pokemon especially in this current meta.

Let's not sugarcoat it, EVERY TCG has a certain level of luck attached to it although as far as I recall in my past games of playing Pokemon TCG I haven't gotten N-locked, Supporter screwed, or played against Hammertime. Last format was actually a bit worse because of Vileplume from the HGSS sets due to Item lock but I still see how Big Basics or EX's rather have been hurting the game where TPCI is hardly printing any good Stage 1 and Stage 2's that have the same kind of attacks and abilities that most of the EX's do in the format which is part of the reason why there's not very many heavy Pokemon lines in alot of players decklists when most decks run 30-40 Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums.

Vanguard does take more skill to play than Pokemon but when it comes to Vanguard it's really whoever hits the biggest amount of numbers on their units wins the game unless your opponent gets a late game Heal Trigger to win the game instead. I see Grade 3 units having Base Power of 11k being a problem cause If you hit too high of numbers then your Opponent has to rely on Perfect Guards to block when they don't have enough Shields to compensate staving off the attacks which could be around 30k+ or 40k+. This is also part of the problem with Break Rides because it's so easy to abuse for a possible OTK scenario that's almost akin to Yu-Gi-Oh! in that aspect and the worst part about it is there's no cost or downside for doing them like sacrificing board advantage to get it off like Pellinore even though it's a Base 10k Grade 3.

Blastoise, Klingklang and Hydreigon are not good for the game. Do you know how broken those would be without the presence of Catcher? That scenario could be very possible come the next rotation. Those Stage 2s are very very broken. They just get overlooked because Catcher exists to BALANCE them.

There should be penalties for playing broken bench sitters. TPCI needs to print stuff to penalize players overplaying those Big Basic EXs.

Break Rides are pretty balanced for Vanguard TBH, you actually have to ride that specific G3, be stuck with a vanilla for a turn or two, and be in danger of dying to get its limit break. It's a more balanced crossride with increased power and reduced defense. It's not as bad as the Pokemon format now where I basically can run over almost anyone here without prior playtesting and just use my "old man experience" to outsmart most of the players

As for overplaying Big Basics, isn't that what Sigilyph with Safeguard and the new Team Plasma Klinklang are for? I wouldn't be surprised If Cobalion EX and Team Plasma Klinklang become a solid deck in the current format since aside from Ho-Oh and Victini EX, Fire isn't that popular in the current format. I know this might sound like a stupid question but what exactly do you mean by "old man experience"?

The only reason I can think of for Hydreigon not being good for the game is due to Max Potion and Darkrai EX, with Team Plasma Klinklang all you need to do is Catcher up an EX with high retreat just to stall against your Opponent until you get your setup going. Blastoise on the other hand is really good because it has the best weakness in the game right now being Grass Type and aside from Genesect EX there's not very many Grass Type's that can stop it and Shaymin EX is pretty much "meh".

I'm fine with catcher. Gust of wind was one of my favorite cards in the base set days so I'm glad to see it reprinted. (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's reprinted as an ace spec).

I see a lot of the main complains and this is what I have to say to that

1. Price of packs are too expensive
Trade, buy a scale, just buy singles, buy a case, its not that difficult to get what you need if your smart about it. No card game company is going to hand you a tournament worthy deck for pennies.

2. Big Basics are better than most evolutions

Agreed except that this doesnt really make it a bad thing. In Pokemon theres been bad cards since the game 1st started. Evolutions still see play, its not like they are completely unplayable.

3. Too much luck in Pokemon

Theres luck in every TCG. Every time you shuffle up a deck and draw RANDOM cards, your creating luck. At least in Pokemon due to the prize system, you have a set scoreboard compared to other games where your set with certain amounts of points and you can lose all those points at any time. In Pokemon at least you cant lose multiple prizes that quickly, which makes it an interesting game most of the time (providing you dont play anything thats donkable and can draw multiple Pokemon).

4. EXs are all about money

I agree but every new mechanic brings the game money. LV.x's were money, the older EXs were money, whats really new? Every series Pokemon has had power creep, but every set they make balances out the cards from the previous sets. Plus right now the meta always keeps changing, it hasnt been that stale with each new set release.

Sometimes I just dont understand what peoples expectations are out of most TCGs. Pokemon isnt that bad, but remember, its a card game thats marketed towards children. How great can it really get? If you want something of high expectations, look beyond card games since any game where your sitting down and playing it for hours on a table, your bound to get bored.

Look I havent really read any of the other posts but it comes down to this
1. Luck based format
2. The average noob can buy cards and win
3. Exp players arent winning anymore just because of luck alone
4. I saw above the price of things has to do with alot
5. Its not just basics its that the richest man can buy them and win
6. Un nerf rare candy please I could actually use something other then a basic if you did this!!!
I played in FL Regs the games I lost were all by one prize and my opponent was able to draw exactly what he needed everytime. The format takes no skill and really isnt fun. I cant use all anything but a basic I see all of these cool stage 2s and wonder how I can use them but cant because of the set up time.
My 2 cents

T

As I said, the card game sucks. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Plus everyone is agreeing which is good, I am glad that everyone realized how ruined this game is :p

You guys are making it sound worse than what it already is, at least for me the Pokemon TCG isn't exactly to the point where I want to rage quit in almost every game like I did when I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh! and Naruto CCG competitively. Riskbreakers, If Break Rides really are balanced in Vanguard then why are alot of Japanese players quitting the game over the new mechanic?

In relation to that according to a rumor I heard on YouTube, people are saying that Bushiroad is using Break Rides as a balancer for all decks to end the need for their Restricted List which doesn't make any sense IMO. That's basically trying to justify the use of cards with terrible power creep only to get rid of a set of rules that limits that kind of power creep in the first place. In other words If this rumor is true then Bushiroad is being hypocritical. -__-

Tristan said:
Look I havent really read any of the other posts but it comes down to this
1. Luck based format
2. The average noob can buy cards and win
3. Exp players arent winning anymore just because of luck alone
4. I saw above the price of things has to do with alot
5. Its not just basics its that the richest man can buy them and win
6. Un nerf rare candy please I could actually use something other then a basic if you did this!!!
I played in FL Regs the games I lost were all by one prize and my opponent was able to draw exactly what he needed everytime. The format takes no skill and really isnt fun. I cant use all anything but a basic I see all of these cool stage 2s and wonder how I can use them but cant because of the set up time.
My 2 cents

T

I agree Rare Candy should be unnerfed, but not in this format. Keldeo can start swining T1! You can donk all other Stage 2's with Garchomp. You don't have a chance to stop Klinks from evolving.

Back