THE Durant thread: Durant NV.

The thing is, though, I don't know if it's worthwhile to test LostGar vs Durant. The matchup is just so odd for Durant: no Twins (assuming the LostGar player just uses Seeker, which he should), Revive isn't useful, Eviolite/Defender aren't useful, any energy removal almost doesn't matter, and worst of all, Durant are sent to the Lost Zone. It's just a weird matchup; I don't know how well it really shows how a Durant deck can function.

That is the whole point, it is a strange match up for Durant so I wanted to let you know how it went for Durant.

It is a very unpopular deck, but a deck none the less and possibly one of Durant's worse match ups under ZPST. Even though the deck is so slow to set up. KOed Durants were sent to the lost zone and they could not get twins active until I have already Lost-KOed a Durant which at that point it was already gg.

Lostgar was already discussed in the last Durant thread, it's a horrible matchup and almost an autoloss. The only thing you can count on is destroying their energy supply with crushing hammer and discarding energy from the top of their deck. Even then it's still an uphill battle.

I was thinking about the Gothitelle matchup last night (which is already pretty good imo), would it make any sense to drop 4 basic metals for 4 prism so you can lay on damage to their Gothitelles with Rotom? If you can KO their Gothitelle it lightens up the game on your end, but would be worth it to lose 1 turn of milling for this? It doesn't take up anymore space in the deck to make this change, but you are only doing 100-120 damage on average with this, which wouldn't get the KO, although it does put them in the KO range with either another Rotom or Durant. And yes Reuniclus could move the damage around, but I don't see them willfully burning through their resources to get out a Reuniclus against you unless they see it coming so it could be a nice surprise.

I wouldn't do that. The idea isn't to get KOs, and while it would be nice to gain an extra couple of turns by KOing Goth, I really don't see that it's entirely necessary. It's a liability if they have Lost Remover (not likely, but still– possible in any matchup), and KOing Goth doesn't really help as much as getting that turn of milling. A good Goth player will know it's a possibility and try to avoid letting you get an advantage from that.

About the Lostgar matchup, yes it is horrible, but Lostgar is so uncommon that it really can't be considered a threat. Also, Lostgar has pretty bad matchups to all sorts of stuff nowdays...

Nizolka33 said:
About the Lostgar matchup, yes it is horrible, but Lostgar is so uncommon that it really can't be considered a threat. Also, Lostgar has pretty bad matchups to all sorts of stuff nowdays...

dont i know it hahahaha
i just posted my findings because it was an uncommon matchup

MetaArmor said:
don't i know it hahahaha
i just posted my findings because it was an uncommon matchup

And there is nothing wrong with that.

For matchups, I'm finding this so far

Good matchups

Gothitelle
The Truth
Any deck with Magnezone
Any deck that needs Twins to set up

Medium matchups

Stage 1s
BlastZel
Any deck that can consistently hit for 90+ damage, but may take a while to set up.

Bad matchups

ZPST
TyRam
Fire decks that can consistently do 50 damage (without weakness)
Quick, hard hitting decks
LostGar

Not too sure how I feel about the medium matchups. I'd call most of them good. Neither Stage 1's or Blastzel is that threatening imo.

None of the bad matchups are unwinnable either, except maybe LostGar. But seriously, who plays that?

A Donphan with 3 energy or a Blastiose with one Floatzel out can knockout Durants.

Celebi23 said:
None of the bad matchups are unwinnable either, except maybe LostGar. But seriously, who plays that?

*raises hand*

But reguardless of good or bad match ups, Durant is a fun, different, and interesting meta-deck to play. In the end that is what matters.

Sorry if another post said this (I didn't read them)
I think that it would be best to play a fast durant deck, but with some techs. Some techs I recomend are Misdrevous (last turn deck), Bellsprout/Canivine (Bring up vileplume) + Spinarak (Lock Vileplume), Alph Lithograph + Rotom, Rescue Energy, Judge/N, Max Ption, Potion, and Flower Shop Lady.
These haven't been tested and are by no means legit or unlegit. All I'm saying is these are some crazy ideas I've come up with within the past five minutes.

Flower Shop lady should be played for sure. I take it you want a really disruptive form of Durant?

iisnumber12 said:
I think that it would be best to play a fast durant deck, but with some techs. Some techs I recomend are Misdrevous (last turn deck), Bellsprout/Canivine (Bring up vileplume) + Spinarak (Lock Vileplume), Alph Lithograph + Rotom, Rescue Energy, Judge/N, Max Ption, Potion, and Flower Shop Lady.
These haven't been tested and are by no means legit or unlegit. All I'm saying is these are some crazy ideas I've come up with within the past five minutes.

Misdreavus is only going to be viable in this with the release of Prism Energy and even then its not very good. Regarding Bellsprout and Spinarak, I'm not sure you are understanding; Durant doesn't mill by sitting there, it mills by attacking. The more basics you add in that need to attack the longer it takes to mill the opponent, the more they get to set up, and you will have a lower chance of starting with Durant and getting the t1 Durant. The rest of the cards are staples in Durant talked about in the deck already.

iisnumber12 said:
Durant is a better miller than Misdrevous, even on the last turn of the game. Misdreavus works if you have 2 Durant left, and they have 3 cards in their deck, but how many times will that happen? And how many times could you have won that matchup anyway but using a consistency card over the Misdrevous.

As fun (and gimmicky) as Spinarak is, it isn't going to work in a timed environment. If they take the prize lead (likely; you're using Durant), you can Spinarak Vileplume all you want, but they're going to win in the end. Furthermore, googlebox runs 4 Rainbow and 4 DCE to retreat after you drag it. And Mewbox runs Grass and/or Rainbow. Outside of those decks, nobody runs Vileplume.

This Durant deck seems pretty neat. So the idea is to mill the opponents deck? Is there any one with test results for this kind of deck? If so, what are your results? And should you use Flower Shop Lady?

^Read through the thread. All those questions have been discussed in-depth already.

Celebi23 said:
^Read through the thread. All those questions have been discussed in-depth already.

nobutitssolong!

Anyways, I found that I hate going against Zekrom with Durant. Got them down to 9 cards left, but even that was a challenge. If I had prism+Rotom, though, I actually think I could've got them surprisingly. They take 2 prizes then they are in KO range of Rotom. By that point, I had already discarded a pachi and 2 shaymin (it was lucky, I know), but the point is you kill their resources pretty easily and their list is so dependent on them that it's hard to set up a 2nd Zekrom.

Captoats said:
nobutitssolong!

Anyways, I found that I hate going against Zekrom with Durant. Got them down to 9 cards left, but even that was a challenge. If I had prism+Rotom, though, I actually think I could've got them surprisingly. They take 2 prizes then they are in KO range of Rotom. By that point, I had already discarded a pachi and 2 shaymin (it was lucky, I know), but the point is you kill their resources pretty easily and their list is so dependent on them that it's hard to set up a 2nd Zekrom.
You've just got to hope they don't hit Evolite. At that point, they can avoid the Rotom KO even with 3 energy attached and 80 damage, and they can use a lot more Bolt Strikes than they would otherwise.

You could use Rainbow as a Prism substitute, but I don't think either will be good enough. Zekrom is just an auto-loss no matter what you try to do, imo.

Back