Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
those were all bad and I hope none of you become hosts in the future. :c
All my good ideas were exhausted when I co-hosted the last one. :c Though sooooome people will probably point out I had no idea what I was doing then anyways <.>;

Homework forcibly shoved me off the face of the earth and will continue to do so until the end of May. Feel free to get rid of me, my free time is dead. The only thing wrong with my computer was that I wasn't using it.

Alright, it looks like Cypher is saving his teammates from the elimination challenge and will be removed. Hopefully results and the current challenge winner will be posted up in the next couple days.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but I mayyy get the next challenge up earlier since it will be a relatively simple one. Depends if I can get enough computer time to type it up since I'm sure as hell not going to do that on my phone.

Hey everyone, The Challenge Godfather here.

I have created a survey to ask all of you what you would like to see with upcoming seasons. After I have enough responses and the host for Season 8 is decided, I'll give them access to your responses. Using your responses, it's my hope that the next host will be able to create the best experience possible for you, the players.

http://goo.gl/forms/5d9bCHsyL1

PeQgziW.png

The participants all worked diligently during the Queen's absence, creating the most interesting and exciting challenges that they could conceive of. When the day finally came for the dragon courier to be sent off to meet with Athena's caravan, 3 of the 4 teams had their submissions ready to hand in, though sadly the Cynogryphons were running a bit behind. Mathas grabbed the scroll with their submission and rushed out at the last minute at catch the post, but it was too late.

With the submissions gone, the challengers had nothing to do but sit and wait for Queen Athena to return with their results. Certain they were going to lose, Mathas and Luis worriedly discussed their options, but Cypher saved them the torment of their fears by forfeiting. Even before the Queen and her entourage returned home, he packed up his belongings, grabbed his sword from the armory, and departed from the castle.

The Queen finally returned home, albeit a day later than expected. The challengers gathered around her in the courtyard where her entourage parked, eager to see the Queen again, and also to meet the mysterious advisers that had been selected to assist with the judging process. They had all been riding in a large closed carriage together, discussing their final choices during the long return journey.

Athena disembarked first, bowing her head slightly to greet the challengers then standing to the side to let the other passengers exit.

The first adviser was a tall, slim woman with bright green hair and an aristocratic look to her face. She smiled and winked at the challengers, then stood back for the next adviser to step down, an elderly cat person with mottled blue and black fur whose features were shadowed by the cowl of a dark cloak. The last adviser nimbly jumped down from the carriage and gave an extravagant bow towards the crowd. It was... Jackson?

"Bet you guys never thought you'd see me again," he greeted them with a sly smile.

Not wanting the challengers to be forced to wait any longer than necessary, the Queen led them all to her throne room where she stood up on the dais in a line with the other judges.

"Thank you all for your patience while I attend my business," she said. "I hope you enjoyed your time working on the challenge while I was away, and I want to let you know that I had an enjoyable time reading through all of your entries during the trip home."

"Even if the enjoyment was only because there was nothing else to do," the green-haired judge interjected with a smirk.

Athena smiled and continued. "First, let me introduce you to my advisers. Jackson you already know from his presence in the competition with you all, but you may be surprised to learn that he was recently hired as an adviser to the council to help us with security matters." She gestured to the woman on her right, "This is Palutena, the head professor of the Royal Academy and master of education on the counsil," and to the cat person on her left, "and this is a man of many names, though most recently he is known as PG24. He serves as a huntsman on the council, and functioned as gamemaster for the previous Challenge.

"They may look like a motley crew, but their individual experience makes them particularly well-suited for judging a challenge of this nature, and I was pleased to have their assistance and input. You will find scrolls with their individual critiques in your rooms for you to read at your leisure, but for now, I wish to share the final results. Please form your teams."

The challengers did as asked, ranking up in small groups in front of the throne before Athena continued. "For failing to submit on time again, Palatinate Cynogryphons are unfortunately the losers by default. I do see that the are already missing a member, so I suppose I will save the elimination challenge for another time. The winners, with a final score of 10 points, are the Amber Phoenixes." She smiled. "I hope you are all up for some climbing."

The Queen raised a hand to stifle a yawn. "The next challenge will be a relatively simple one, but I do believe that I need a night in my own bed before doing anything further, so I will dismiss you all for now. I bid you all a good evening, and take heart that there will be no elimination in the next challenge. "

Challenge 4 Results
Create-A-Challenge

The final scores for the teams are as follows:

Amber Phoenixes - 10
Xanadu Taniwha - 9
Aureolin Amphisbaenae - 5
Palatinate Cynogryphons - 0

Each challenge was ranked in order of best to worst by each of the 4 judges: Me, @Professor Palutena, @PG24, and @Keeper of Night. I specifically reached out to them as judges since they were all hosts of a previous incarnation of a Challenge Season. Had either @Celever or @bbninjas been eliminated, they would have been asked too.

@professorlight was not actually a judge, though I did give the actual judges the option to mess with you all and having Light brought in as a possible "fake" judge was suggested by PP. I thought it was very amusing. :p

Since only 3 teams submitted, the best ranked entry by each judge gained 3 points, the 2nd place 2, and the last place entry 1 point. Full judging results by all judges can be found below. The actual submitted entries are shared at the very bottom of this post.

Athena:

Pros: If the goal of this challenge was to mind-read the Host, you would have gotten a much better score. :p This is very similar in many respects to another challenge that I already have planned for the non-team portion of the game, though my version is a bit more involved with more than two choices for each option, etc. However, I do like that you used images instead of text like my own challenge had been planned to do.

Cons: This was an incredibly lazy entry. You didn't follow ANY of the instructions: no flavour, nothing written up how it would be submitted, no prizes, no timing. You are VERY lucky that the Cynogryphons did not submit because that is basically the only thing that saved you from elimination as far as I'm concerned.

What I would do if this challenge wins: First, I would eat my hat, and then I would fire all my other judges for upvoting an entry that didn't even follow the rules. But in all seriousness, a lot of work would need to be done to fit the challenge in. Aside from the obvious additions, I would also change each of the categories to at least have more than 2 options so it would be more fun. I'd also cancel running my other challenge that I already had planned since there's no reason to run 2 challenges that are so similar.

Pros: I love your use of flavour; it really tied your created challenge into the world and made it feel like it belonged. I also really liked the idea of creating an communication based challenge that encourages people to all work together but still for their own ends.

Cons: Very confusingly written. I had to read this challenge a few times to understand what was going on. The flavour also doesn't really match with the challenge much at all. My biggest disappointment though was that this entire convoluted communication aspect culminates in a single PM pick for something and that's the end. I think I would have preferred to see it done in stages so that people get a bit of feedback while the game is running.

What I would do if this challenge wins: Probably fix up the flavour and writing a bit, change some of the codewords, and maybe even institute a multi-stage version of the challenge to spice it up a bit, such as a few different rounds of people picking from different lengths of rope.

Pros: I liked the way you used the character sheets from the earlier challenge, since it makes the challenge blend in well with the others. Very good SoSMA use for hinting. You guys also used your advantage well and made some nice corrections to the things I pointed out to you.

Cons: I was really disappointed that you removed the writing aspect for the second part of the challenge after my feedback. My intention was not to make you remove that portion but to fit it within the challenge better. I also would have liked to see some criteria given for points awarded in the first section instead of just "pick your favourites".

What I would do if this challenge wins: Put the writing section back in with more narrative justification. I would also give a more structure to the submission part I think to make it a bit less guess-y.

1st: Xanadu Taniwha
2nd: Amber Phoenixes
3rd: Aureolin Amphisbaenae

Professor Palutena:

This game is literally like going to the optometrist.
PP doesn't like the optometrist.
Therefore, PP doesn't like this game.

You were the only team that incorporated any of my requirements and so you are automatically the winner in my book. That being said, your minimal use of sombreros is disheartening and I hope you feel incomprehensible amounts of guilt for your omission of Taco Bell.

Allow me to write you a poem:

Blood is red
A boat needs an ore
Lacking Taco Bell
Makes you glad the other team sucked more

If I'm required to elaborate in prose, your submission only didn't get last because it wasn't as bad as the other teams. I'd be more likely to play it than their game.

1st: Amber Phoenixes
2nd: Xanadu Taniwha

PG24:

Look, I myself ran a few "pick something" challenges back when I started this game. The difference is that I made sure there was some sort of strategy, or at least depth, to it. Take this for example. While on the outside, it seems like your challenge, but really it has some depth. First, all rooms are predetermined before the challenge starts, meaning there is a set path for each team. Second, I had given team leaders full authority on what to pick even if the rest of their team disagrees. This was done so that blame is shifted to them for each mistake. This was an intentional design so that the players, right after forming their teams, might have mistrust in the leader. Lastly, the tie-breaker was properly defined by having players pick additional doors. Unrelated, but I did consider making this challenge a classical Monty Hall challenge, but decided against it since it would double the length of the challenge. Anyways, your challenge lacks any sort of depth. It's something your team created either before the deadline or the exact hour after this challenge started. If any of you had quality controlled this idea and realized there was zero strategy, zero depth, and zero creativity, you would've scrapped the idea entirely.

Also, the idea of every player having to PM the host for each selection is already unfeasible and not timely. Just imagine for a second that ten players (some in different timezones with their own schedules) have to PM Athena for one selection. Now imagine the amount of time it would take her to not only get each pick, but to also post the next set. Now imagine that for each selection. You're talking about at least a week for a relatively simple challenge.

"Ideally, this would be done with 10 players in the game, to prevent a three-way tie."

This literally makes no sense. If all ten players vote on the same thing, then there's a ten-way tie. If nine players vote on the same thing, you have a nine-way tie. You get where I'm going with this?

By the way, whatever happened to Not-TDL? Do any of you even know what I'm talking about? I'm guessing some of you are too new to this game to keep that challenge meme alive. Go reread previous runs of the game and you'll get what I'm talking about. You probably should've done that to begin with to prevent this idea.

I literally stopped reading halfway through because the concept and delivery was not simple. You can have complex challenges, but only if you do so by presenting it in a simple and easy to understand method. There's so many rules and guidelines littered in this idea that I have no idea how it's even played. Before you hate on me by saying "but you didn't even read all of it tdl", that response is irrelevant. The first part of the challenge information should clearly tell me the gist of the challenge before going into detail. Y'know, it's almost ironic that the first rule is reading comprehension because this challenge is setup in a way you can't comprehend.

God, you guys really aren't making this easy on me.

I actually read through this one, but you and entry #2 need to tone the hell down on lengthy explanations and adding complexity for the sake of adding complexity. This is actually a simple concept, it's just drowned in the depth of the text you wrote. Out of all of these, your challenge is the least worst, so the only reason I'm giving you first is by default.

1st: Xanadu Taniwha
2nd: Amber Phoenixes

Keeper of Night

...This is less a "pick your favorite" challenge, and more trying to pick what everybody else would pick, which in itself is awesome and mind-boggling to try and figure out. However, only having two choices turns it into a 50/50 chance with little strategy involved in making your choice. Whoever gets lucky five times wins. ...Great?
Also, the only viable choices are obviously:
Pachirisu, red, bee, Mario, Kabuto (#dome), T-Rex, Windows (duh), Gaius, Jupiter, Brawl.
I can sense the anger already.

I actually kinda like this. I mean, it's just picking again, but there's an amount of thought that can put into it, as well as having that exciting random chance factor. And it's well formatted, easy to understand and read... The number of word restrictions is a little ridiculous, but I'm sure-
  1. Challengers may not use or post any of the following words/groups in-thread throughout the duration of this Challenge: ... “penguins wearing sombreros”.
Nope, sorry, 7.8/10. Needs more penguins wearing sombreros.

...I'm sorry, it took me a while to understand the challenge through all those underlines. And then once I did, I didn't like it. We only know about other competitors as much as they share on the internet. Knowing lies and truths... It's a waste of scrolls in my opinion to try and muscle your way through. And forgive me if this was addressed somewhere, as I said, it was not easy to understand and actually a little annoying after a while.

1st: Amber Phoenixes
2nd: Aureolin Amphisbaenae
3rd: Xanadu Taniwha

aYccsCG.png

@Cypher333 has been eliminated from the Palatinate Cynogryphons!

Thank you very much for participating! I hope you enjoyed your time in the game. Please contact me privately if you would like a link to the Dead/Spectator QT to discuss the game behind the scenes.​

As mentioned be my previously in the thread, the Cynogryphons lost by default for not submitted in time. Since Cypher decided to forfeit due to lack of time, I have decided to eliminate him and forego the elimination challenge.

Prizes!

As the winners of this challenge, all current members of the Amber Phoenixes (@Green778, @bbninjas, @Mr.Muffin, and @Jabberwock), will get a free pass to not participate in this challenge if they are all still in the game by the time it comes up. Of course, they can still choose to play if they like. :p

The Next Challenge?

The next challenge will be very small and simple. In fact, it's something of an intermission challenge. It will also neither have a winner nor an elimination, though the results are very important in and of themselves, so everyone will want to give it their all.

There's a chance that I may have it posted up before I fly home if I can snag a couple hours of computer time since it's relatively easy to write up, but that's dependent on if I can get PC access while I'm not super tired (my sleep schedule never really normalized while I've been here), so don't get your hopes up too much. If it does happen, it'll be posted sometime before midnight Central US time tomorrow (Tuesday). If it's not posted by then, then it won't be up until Friday, since Wednesday is packing and flying day and Thursday is "deal with the worst of my jet lag" day.

Team Submissions:

Entry 1 - Aureolin Amphisbaenae

The host shows people two pictures of relatively similar things. The people then vote on which one they like more, by PMing the host. Whichever one has the majority wins, and the people who vote for that get a point. The host then puts up the next set of 2 pictures, and the process repeats until someone gets 5 points. First person to 5 points wins immunity and is safe from the vote. In the event of a tie, the hosts shows the remaining players the avatars of whoever is tied, and whoever isn't tied votes for the players that are tied. The person with more votes is safe from the vote. If that also ties, both players are safe from the vote.

Ideally, this would be done with 10 players in the game, to prevent a three-way tie.

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

th
or
th

Entry 2 - Amber Pheonixes

The next day, the challengers awoke to find signs and banners directing them to the foothills of the Tormal Mountains. They set off at once, making their way over rivers and plains, and through some of the most vile slums of Ial, before finally arriving at the base of the foothills.

Queen Athena awaited them there, accompanied by her usual guard of seven soldiers, as they were well outside the city’s borders. “Welcome,” she announced grandly, “to your next challenge!”

There was general applause from the challengers and the spectators. Queen Athena smiled. She didn’t usually come out of the palace, but this was certainly a worthwhile occasion.

“The Tormal Mountains,” she said, her voice ringing clearly and echoing through the hills. “Though I bear the title of Conqueror of the Tormal Mountains, they are like a force of nature. They cannot be tamed, any more than a savage dragon may be made to submit. They have never been climbed…”

And suddenly everyone knew what the challenge would be. Sure enough, the next words out of the Queen’s mouth were “ … until now!"

Murmurs, some excited, others nervous, rippled through the group. Climb the Tormal Mountains? It couldn’t be done! But they had signed up for this, and they really wanted that pie.

“You will climb the Tormal Mountains today,” said the Queen. “This challenge pushes your physical ability and mental endurance to the limit. How far can you go, before you yield to the mountains?”

One of the Queen’s advisers burst into the moment and whispered something to the Queen. “It appears our test climber has had a minor accident,” she said somberly, a statement greeted with the uproar of the competitors' fears.

Queen Athena raised her voice slightly. “But worry not! We have concluded that our climber used a word that somehow triggered an avalanche. That word is, uh…”

The Queen’s adviser muttered some more, and the Queen promptly continued. “It appears that there are multiple words considered dangerous. Each of you will be given a list of these words, so you know to refrain from speaking them!”

On looking throughout the crowd, it was apparent that the Queen’s words had quelled the worst fears of the participants.

“Unfortunately, there is not enough rope for all of you, meaning some pieces will require splitting. The rope you choose to use is up to you. Furthermore, the shorter your rope, the longer it will take to scale the mountain! Note that the challenger with the shortest length of rope loses.”

“Take heart in this,” she continued. “There will be no elimination today. Or at least, there will be none, if –– and only if! –– the losing challenger forfeits all of his or her Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant to the winner. Now, this may be a greater loss for some of you than others. But it is the price you must pay to remain in the Seventh Challenge of Challesia.”

“The best of luck to you all. Let the challenge begin!”

Challenge XXX
Picking Ropes

In this challenge, challengers are required to pick straws ropes in prospect of climbing the Tormal Mountains without causing an avalanche. If multiple challengers choose the same rope, said rope will be cut into a number of equal lengths so each challenger has a piece.

Instructions:
  1. Read this post in its entirety to make sure you understand everything, and feel free to ask questions if there's something you don't understand. This is mostly aimed at the newbies, but old folks should make sure to brush up on their reading comprehension too. Failure to abide by the instructions and rules of the Challenge may end up penalizing you.
  2. Challengers are to pick ropes after discussing in the main thread, all without causing an avalanche. An image depicting the available rope can be found in the spoiler below. From left to right, the rope lengths are as follows: 35 metres, 60 metres, 40 metres, 24 metres
  3. Outside communication is strictly prohibited. Due to the monitored nature of this Challenge, challengers may not communicate outside of the thread about this Challenge in any form.
  4. Challengers may not use or post any of the following words/groups in-thread throughout the duration of this Challenge: “rope”, any color (such as yellow, blue or red), “long/er/est”, “short/er/est”, any numbers, “middle”, “between”, “next to”, the username of any Challenger or host (including established nicknames), “pick”, or “penguins wearing sombreros”.
  5. Contestants may not attempt to bypass these restrictions by using a synonymous word as listed by Thesaurus.com, highlight the restricted word inside another word, or simply remove a few letters from the restricted word. For an example, players may not use “maroon” or “dreds” to bypass the use of “red”, or “Thena” or “Ena” to bypass the use of “Athena”.
  6. Any Challenger who violates Rule 4 or Rule 5 will forfeit a Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant, to protect themselves from an avalanche. If a challenger cannot forfeit a scroll, they will be eliminated immediately.
  7. Challengers must send the host their choice of rope at any time in a new PM before the deadline. Rule 4 and 5 does not apply for this submission. Once the PM has been sent, the choice is considered final and may not be changed.
  8. The deadline for Rope Choice Submission is XXXX, XXXX XXth at XXXXXX Central European Time or seventy-two hours. That is the same as XX:XXam GMT, XX:XXam Eastern US time, XX:XXam Pacific US time, or approximately the same time as this post in your own time zone.
  9. The player that has the shortest rope will be designated the loser and will be forced to forfeit all Scrolls of Summon Magical Assistant they have on hand. If the loser has no scrolls on hand, they will be eliminated instead.
  10. In the event that there is a tie between one or more players with the shortest rope, all players not in the tie can submit a vote to contribute to a tiebreaker.
  11. The winner –– the player with the longest length of rope –– will receive all scrolls forfeited throughout this Challenge. If the winner status is tied, scrolls will be distributed amongst the winners equally rounded down to the nearest whole.
5gdvQVG.jpg

And that's everything! Good luck, have fun, and, as always, please ask if you have any questions. :)

Disclaimer: The "X"s have been used to designate something, usually a number, that will require the host to edit in if this challenge was to be used.

Entry 3 - Xanadu Taniwha

The remaining participants were gathered together in a private ball room laden with many desserts and other treats.

Arriving fashionably late, Queen Athena IV entered the chamber. “Now then, I am sure you all would like some time to rest, however I would like to get started on the next challenge”

Excited murmurs crept around the room as each participant eagerly awaited information on this upcoming challenge.

“This challenge will test how well you know yourselves, and how well you know each other. It will be split into two parts, the first is a truth and two lies. Specifically you will be writing them down yourselves on the parchments being handed out by my aides. As each of you can see, the format is predetermined you simply need to fill out the blanks. Good luck, we will reconvene for the second part of this challenge in four days’ time, although you will need to submit your truths and lies in three days. Don’t be late, but please have fun and continue to enjoy the sweets here”

Challenge X
How Well do You Know Each Other? - Part 1

This challenge will be split into two parts. In the first, each participant must write two lies and a truth about their character. These should pertain to this character's backstory so that each participant has a chance at guessing which one is the truth and which ones are lies. After this section is complete, I will post details for part two.

Instructions:

• Read this post in its entirety to make sure you understand everything, and feel free to ask questions if there's something you don't understand. This is mostly aimed at the newbies, but old folks should make sure to brush up on their reading comprehension too. Failure to abide by the instructions and rules of the challenge may end up penalizing you.
      • You are to work alone on this challenge and follow all rules according to the guideline below. It is in your own best interests not to share what your truths and lies are, as you will find out further in part 2.
      • When you are ready to submit, send me a new PM with all necessary information. There is no required format, just make sure you include everything! Once the PM has been sent, all answers are considered final and may not be changed.
      • The deadline for How Well do You Know Each Other Submission is Day, Month XXth at 8:00am Central European Time. That is the same as 7:00am GMT, 2:00am Eastern US time, 1:00am Central US time, 11:00pm Pacific US time, or approximately X hours before the time of this post in your own time zone. If you have not submitted your answers by the deadline, you one truth and one lie will be created for you by me. This will have a strong impact on part two and I recommend that no one miss the submission.
      • Once all answers have been submitted, I will conduct a brief review of the answers and then decide whether they meet the criteria posting them for everyone to see in another post which will contain the details of part two.
      • At this stage points may be awarded for clever responses and/or interesting truths/lies and will be tallied and revealed at the end of part two.
Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant: Use X
(Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.)

SoSMA X: You Dirty Liar: Participants may choose to use a Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant in order to gain a third lie (meaning you will have to submit a truth and three lies). This will be relevant for part two of this challenge.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

How Well do You Know Each Other Guidelines:

Submission: Submissions should be done in the following format

Truth: I am a fair and beloved leader due in part to my speaking ability.
Lie: I love eating just about any and all foods, especially Tacobell.
Lie: I spent many summers as a child in Durabora, a tropical island nation ally of Challesia.
(if an SoSMA is used) Lie: I have beaten a healthy Unicorn in a foot race.

I will change the order when these are available to everyone so that you cannot just choose the first answer and get all truths.

Once again all participants were gathered in the same ballroom from four days prior.

"Excellent, now that I have reviewed your truths and lies, I will reveal the second part to this challenge. Each of you are to attempt to determine the truths of each other participant. Your scores will be determined by how many truths you get correct as well as how many other participants submit lies about you. Finally extra creative answers I enjoy from part one will also be added to your point total. There is no winner for this challenge, but the loser or losers will face elimination. There will be three days for this challenge, and a day for me to tally the results to determine everyone’s final scores"

How Well do You Know Each Other? - Part 2

Each participant will choose whichever option they believe to be the truth for each other participant. This will be submitted to me as detailed below. Points will be awarded to those who manage to correctly guess the truth of each person they write about. Additionally if another challenger submits your lie, you will gain a point. The participant or participants with the least number of points will be eliminated.

Instructions:

1. Read this post in its entirety to make sure you understand everything, and feel free to ask questions if there's something you don't understand. This is mostly aimed at the newbies, but old folks should make sure to brush up on their reading comprehension too. Failure to abide by the instructions and rules of the challenge may end up penalizing you.
  2. Again you are to work alone on this challenge and follow all rules according to the guideline below. You may wish to share information with other players, but remember that may hurt your chances of winning as much as help them.
  3. When you are ready to submit, send me a new PM with all necessary information. The format is detailed below. Once the PM has been sent, all answers are considered final and may not be changed.
  4. The deadline for How Well do You Know Each Other Submission is Day, Month XXth at 8:00am Central European Time. That is the same as 7:00am GMT, 2:00am Eastern US time, 1:00am Central US time, 11:00pm Pacific US time, or approximately X hours before the time of this post in your own time zone. If you have not submitted your response by the deadline, you will automatically lose and suffer elimination penalties.
  5. Once all answers have been submitted, I will tally the points for each player, and add any extra points I feel creative answers deserve from part one. Points will be earned by, having creative truths and lies from part one, correctly identifying other players truths and having other players write about one of your lies.

Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant: Use X
    (Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.)

SoSMA X: I call your bluff: Participants may choose to use a Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant in order to remove a lie from a player which will increase your chances of guessing their truth correctly. When confirming use of the scroll, you must choose two options from the chosen player. I will remove the lie, or in the event multiple lies are chosen, I will choose one response to be removed. You are able to share information gathered from this scroll use as you see fit.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

How Well do You Know Each Other Guidelines:

Submission: Submissions should be done in the following format

Queen Athena IV: I spent many summers as a child in Durabora, a tropical island nation ally of Challesia.
    Player Name: Which option you have chosen (detailed as text)
    Player Name: Which option you have chosen (detailed as text)
    Repeat this for each remaining participant.

Stuff for Athena – Points are static, each correct answer will give one point, each creative answer you are a particular fan, although only one point will be given per player from creative answers (so as not to skew points too much for amazing writers). Each incorrect answer will award one point to the player who’s lie was incorrectly guessed.

Last edited:
/me sees no trace of our submission
/me implies we could have won had we submitted on time
/me cries internally

[20:42:30] Athena: If you want another hint about the next challenge I actually put a hint elsewhere in the post
[20:42:40] Celever: :O
[20:42:49] Celever: ooh it's a treasure hunt! <3
[20:43:05] Athena: Though I'm not sure how obvious it will be until after the challenge is posted
[20:43:21] Athena: If you don't mind, copy that into the thread so everyone knows
[20:43:30] Athena: I meant to mention it but forgot until now
[20:43:55] Celever: oh, sure :)

FYI if your challenges were really good and followed my orders, you would've gotten better feedback.

I do hope Xanadu enjoys my poem. I spent a good amount of time trying to make it be a poem.

When I tried submitting Pokebeach wouldn't let me (error 522), it took 14 minutes before a submission actually went through, and by that point I had tried to submit four times. I didn't have time to make the submission fit the formatting because it wouldn't copy paste over, and I ended up submitting pretty close to the dot. The first three submissions had the proper format, but kept being lost after the 522 error, and I simply didn't have time to format it for the submission that actually worked

Last edited:
Hey everyone, The Challenge Godfather here.

I have created a survey to ask all of you what you would like to see with upcoming seasons. After I have enough responses and the host for Season 8 is decided, I'll give them access to your responses. Using your responses, it's my hope that the next host will be able to create the best experience possible for you, the players.

http://goo.gl/forms/5d9bCHsyL1

Now that there are a few responses in, there's a question I feel needs to be asked based off responses so far, but can't add into the form now:

If the next game were to be flavorless, would you still be inclined to join it? Do you think you'd have fun in a flavorless game?

Feel free to PM me the answer.

Last edited:
Ia92Mst.png

The Queen slept all throughout the night and long into the next day, recuperating from her journey. Finally, after the challengers all finished a dinner in the cavernous dining room on their own, they were summoned back to the throne room where Athena, a bit tired but regal as ever, was awaiting them.

As usual, they formed up into teams for her appraisal. Both the Amber Phoenixes and the Xanadu Taniwha contained their starting numbers, but the Palatinate Cynogryphons and the Aureolin Amphisbaenae were down to half each. Then Queen spent sometime looking over the teams, her eyes flickering over the groups, her mouth set in a grim line.

Just as the challengers were beginning to get a bit antsy standing in the silence, Athena flicked her hand in a gesture of dismissal and slumped back in the chair. "I'm afraid this simply won't do. 2 teams at full strength and the others badly dwindled? It's practically set up for failure. No, this definitely won't do. New plan for the challenge: we're going to switch up teams."

The competitors' eyes widened as they looked at each other uncertainly. Switch up the teams? Some were nervous at the prospect, not liking the idea of losing comrades that they had grown and worked with for several weeks now. Others were excited at the idea and hopeful of their new chances. This was definitely going to be a big change.

Athena carefully watched the thoughts and emotions flicker through her competitors and began talking again as soon as she was aware the news had sunk in. "Cynogryphons and Amphisbaenae, your teams are going to have to merge. Part of this process is going to involve getting rid of one of your team names, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Because that's certainly not the only changes we're going to make. I think we also need to swap team members a bit, shake up your complacency a bit.

"Everyone, please go to your teams' sitting rooms and begin your discussions. Within a few hours, one of my messengers will bring you a bunch of scrolls with some questions on them. One scroll will be for all of you to fill out as a team, however many of you there are left, and the only scrolls will be for each of you to fill out separately."

Queen Athena rose from her throne and stretched her arms. "I will decide upon a new team competition based on your answers. The next time we see each other," she smiled, "you'll have a new group of friends waiting for you."

Challenge 5
Intermission Challenge - Team Swap

In this challenge, we will be changing our team roster. We will be moving down to 3 teams of 4, and the composition of all teams will be changed.

The Amber Phoenixes and Xanadu Taniwha will each be keeping 2 of their original members. The 3rd member will be sent to the opposing team, and the 4th member will be sent to the new 3rd team. Of the Palatinate Cynogryphons and the Aureolin Amphisbaenae, 2 of their total members will be staying in this conglomerate team to form the new 3rd team, 1 will join the Phoenixes, and the last will join the Taniwha.

Instructions:

1. Read this post in its entirety to make sure you understand everything, and feel free to ask questions if there's something you don't understand. This is mostly aimed at the newbies, but old folks should make sure to brush up on their reading comprehension too. Failure to abide by the instructions and rules of the challenge may end up penalizing you.
  2. Each team and each individual player will complete a short questionnaire to help determine the new team composition. The forms are slighty different based on whether you are part of a full team (Phoenixes, Taniwha) or one of the small teams that will be combined (Cnyogryphons, Amphisbaenae).
  3. When you are ready to submit your team entry, one member of your team should send me a new PM with the completed questionnaire CC'ed to all other current teammates.
  4. When you are ready to submit your individual entry, please send me a separate, personal PM. Do not copy any of your teammates in; individual submissions are private and will not be shared with anyone, either during or after the challenge.
  5. The deadline for Team Swap Questionnaire Submission is Monday, February 8th at 8:00pm Central European Time. That is the same as 7:00pm GMT, 2:00pm Eastern US time, , 11:00am Pacific US time, or approximately the time of this post in your own time zone. If you or your team has not submitted your submission by the deadline, or if you do not answer every question, your opinion will not be taken into account for the team swap.
  6. Once all answers have been submitted, I will calculate the new teams based on the answers submitted and the results will be publicly posted in this thread sometime the following day. The sooner answers are submitted, the sooner the results and the next challenge will be posted.
  7. There are no winners or losers in this challenge. Everyone will be continuing on to be a part of their (potentially new) team in the next challenge.

For reference, the current team composition is:

Aureolin Amphisbaenae:
@thegrovylekid @mordacazir

Palatinate Cynogryphons:
@Luispipe8 @Skyleaf2000

Xanadu Taniwha:
@Vom @Brave Vesperia @Vracken @Celever

Amber Phoenixes:

@Green778 @bbninjas @Jabberwock @Mr.Muffin

Team Swap Questionnaires:

For the record, (almost*) all questions are pretty cut and dry and require very minimalist answers. You do not have to elaborate on your answers, but doing so may give your opinion more weight, so feel free to give details and whys if you like.

(* - The except is one team question for the Cynogryphons and Amphisbaenae where they must make a case for their team name to be kept in the game over the other.)

Questionnaires for the Amber Phoenixes:

Which member of the Xanadu Taniwha would you most like to see join your team?

Which member of the Aureolin Amphisbaenae or Palatinate Cynogrphyons would you like to see join your team?

Of the Aureolin Amphisbaenae and Palatinate Cynogrphyons, which team name do you think should be kept as the name of the 3rd and which should name should be removed?

Would you prefer to stay with the Amber Phoenixes or would you prefer to swap?

If you did switch, which team would you prefer to switch to: the Taniwha or the new 3rd team?

Which member of the Amber Phoenixes would you most like to see removed from the team?

Which Phoenix player do you like to work with the most?

Which non-Phoenix player would you like to work with the most?

Which non-Phoenix player would you like to work with the least?

What do you feel your best strength is in The Challenge?

What do you feel your worst weakness is in The Challenge?

Questionnaires for the Xanadu Taniwha:

Which member of the Amber Phoenixes would you most like to see join your team?

Which member of the Aureolin Amphisbaenae or Palatinate Cynogrphyons would you like to see join your team?

Of the Aureolin Amphisbaenae and Palatinate Cynogrphyons, which team name do you think should be kept as the name of the 3rd and which should name should be removed?

Would you prefer to stay with the Xanadu Taniwha or would you prefer to swap?

If you did switch, which team would you prefer to switch to: the Phoenixes or the new 3rd team?

Which member of the Xanadu Taniwha would you most like to see removed from the team?

Which Taniwha player do you like to work with the most?

Which non-Taniwha player would you like to work with the most?

Which non-Taniwha player would you like to work with the least?

Questionnaires for the Palatinate Cynogryphons:

Which member of the Aureolin Amphisbaenae would you like to see join your team?

Why should your team name be kept in the game? Please make a case for keeping the Palatinate Cynogryphons in the game.

Would you prefer to be a part of the new 3rd team of one of the other 2 established teams?

If you did switch, which team would you prefer to switch to: the Amber Phoenixes or Xanadu Taniwha?

Which non-Cynogryphon player would you most like to work with?

Which non-Cynogryphon player would you least like to work with?

Questionnaires for the Aureolin Amphisbaenae:

Which member of the Palatinate Cynogryphons would you like to see join your team?

Why should your team name be kept in the game? Please make a case for keeping the Aureolin Amphisbaenae in the game.

Would you prefer to be a part of the new 3rd team of one of the other 2 established teams?

If you did switch, which team would you prefer to switch to: the Amber Phoenixes or Xanadu Taniwha?

Which non-Amphisbaenae player would you most like to work with?

Which non-Amphisbaenae player would you least like to work with?

And that's everything! Good luck, have fun, and please ask if you have any questions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back