Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final GM reminder that there's about 2 hours left in the challenge! Get your spamming in while it's hot! :D

Hey guys, I want an interesting last couple hours, so here's a little "tip":
[14/01/2016 15:59:17] Celever: Ah gdi
[14/01/2016 15:59:30] Celever: I just thought of a dope exploit we could've done
[14/01/2016 16:00:25] Celever: If you post in a thread and then delete the post, all of the alerts sent out for that thread get deleted and the next message doesn't send an alert out

Since in this amount of time none of you can kick us Taniwha off our pedestal, I'm gonna go and play on my Wii U and leave the two teams open to to elimination battling it out with that tactic in mind. :)

Though bear in mind that it's not awesome sportsmanship and I doubt that we would have ever used it anyway. Maybe some of you guys want to sink to the level in the name of self-preservation?

And now for my favorite line.

REBORN IS DESTINY'S ETERNAL ABYSSMAL SYMPHONY OF XILLIONIC GRACES GOING ZESTFULLY BERSERK IN THE FANTASTIC VESPER OF INNOCENT HEARTS!!

To be fair, when it comes to bad sportsmanship, Mods can unsubscribe everyone from a given thread, but that'd have been /way/ unfair. :p

VRldxAU.png

The day of the challenge arrived and all 4 teams were ready to run. The starting runners for each team had a new version of their banner made with a pole for easy carrying. Throngs of people from Ial and beyond gathered for the beginning of this momentous challenge, cheering and waving miniature flags made in the design of their favourite team's banner (the merchant selling these flags outside would be able to retire and live comfortably for the rest of his life on the profits he made this day).

With the bang of a cheap magic spell, the teams were off. At the beginning, each of the teams started working alone, but after a few rounds, the Aureolin Amphisbaenae decided to use a few of their Magical Scrolls to help them out. They took a quick break and used the Scrolls to summon a flock of cute grey birds to assist them with the banner carrying. The birds were cheerful and eager to be of service, happily carrying the banner of their master.

The Xanadu Taniwha had a different idea. Waiting until an opportune moment when the other teams were resting, they used their Scrolls at once to summon 4 snakes, knowing the Queen had a particular fondness for the creatures. They presented the snakes to Athena as a bribe/gift and asked her to help them on their way. She acquiesced to their request and wore the snakes as a necklace as she traveled a few laps with the Taniwha. No one dared get in the Queen's way, and the Taniwha were able to score the most laps with the Queen's aid.

At the end of the race, Athena collapsed into her outdoor throne, laughing. "Wooo, I haven't had that much excitement since the Black Crows made their move. Well done everyone!"

Panting and gulping large skins of water, the team members all made their way to the throne as well, tired and pleased that the challenge was finally over with. The grey birds summoned by the Amphisbaenae chose this moment to fly off into the sunset.

"You have all performed very well," the Queen said, "and I am pleased with your hard work and dedication. However, there is still a winner and a loser present, and such arrangements must be made.

"Xanadu Taniwha, with your perseverance, timing, and clever bribing, you have managed to claim the top spot in this challenge. As a reward, you can choose to either have your used Scrolls replenished, or you can instead opt to take a direct advantage over the next challenge."

Please with their win, Naxi unfurled a special, new version of their team banner that she had made in secret, adding Queen Athena to the top as an honorary member and presented it to the Queen who bowed and accepted it graciously before turning to the next team.

"Aureolin Amphisbaeanae, unfortunately you were unable to chain as effectively as the other teams, and you have lost this challenge. As a result, once again you must choose a team member for elimination."

Athena stood and brushed off her hands. "Those are matter for later, though. For now, I'm starving! Everyone to the dining hall!"

Challenge 3 Results
Banner Relay YPPY

The final scores for the teams are as follows:

Xanadu Taniwha - 386
Amber Phoenixes - 41
Palatinate Cynogryphons - 4
Aureolin Amphisbaenae - 3

Overall, I was actually rather pleased with how this challenge worked out. Teams worked together to find a good time to attempt to make chains, and other members kept an eye on the thread to break the chains made by others. Despite the hefty cost, half of the teams opted to spend their Scrolls on this challenge's help. The short time frame of the game made it particularly suspenseful.

I was legitimately wondering if any team would think to hire me. I specifically wrote the rules so that I would be an eligible helper, if anyone thought of it. BB actually approached me in the 24 hours before the game started and asked if I would be willing to help out if they hired me, but the Phoenixes ended up passing on it. The Taniwha came up with the idea of hiring me because I'm generally online when many other people are not, but Celever and Vracken could be, and we could chain with the 3 of it. It was an intelligent plan.

Prizes!

As alluded to in the flavour, the winning Xanadu Taniwha will have a choice between 2 potential prizes for winning this challenge. You must choose which of the prizes you will take within 48 hours, same as elimination.

1. A Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant for each member of the team. Effectively, you'd be recuperating the losses you spent hiring me.
  2. A direct advantage in the next challenge. Since there will be no direct SoSMA use in the next challenge, this is the only way you'd be able to get an advantage. You can see a few hints about this challenge at the bottom of this post, which may help you decide if you want this one or not.

Elimination

1. Each member of the losing team(s) must vote for a member of their team to be eliminated from the game. Provide your vote in an individual PM with me in the format "vote: [username]". You are of course welcome to discuss elimination with your teams if you wish, so long as all votes are sent to me privately.
  2. Elimination deadlines will always be 48 hours from the time of the results post. In this particular instance, this means that all elimination votes are due by Saturday, January 16th at 8:00pm CET. That is the same as 7:00pm GMT, 2:00pm Eastern US time, 11:00am Pacific US time, or approximately the same time as this post in your own time zone.
  3. Every team member for the losing team(s) must submit an elimination vote by the deadline. If you do not, your vote will count as a vote to eliminate yourself.
  4. All Challenge 7 participants (whether they are on eliminating teams or not) may choose to use 1 SoSMA to act as a negative elimination vote for a non-self/team player of your choice. Detailed information about can be found below in the spoiler. Any Scrolls used in this matter must be submitted to be via PM by the same 48 hour deadline as the elimination votes.
  5. Once all votes and Scroll uses have been tallied, the player from each eliminated team with the most votes will be permanently removed from the game.
  6. In the event of a tie, the winning team of the previous challenge gets to choose who of the tied candidates is eliminated.

Scroll of Summon Magical Assistant: Elimination Use

Each of you started with a number of Scrolls of Magical Assistant, a magic item that can be used to give you various advantages throughout the game. Each time a new use of the item is revealed, it will be posted about in the Update (like this section here and now), and also added to the OP for easy reference. Please Note: Each Scroll is single use only! Once you use a Scroll for any purpose it is used up and your total number of scrolls goes down by one. If you ever want to know how many scrolls you currently have available at any given point, feel free to ask.

SoSMA 1: Negative Elimination Vote: Every time there is an Elimination, all current players may choose to use one scroll to act as a "negative" elimination vote on a player of their choice. This will subtract a vote from that player's total number of votes. If a player reaches 0 votes in this manner, they cannot be eliminated. In negative votes override all of the votes for a given team, that team becomes safe and none of their players will be eliminated.

However, there are of course some restrictions:
  1. You may never use a Scroll to give a negative vote on yourself, or even another member of your team. You may only use scrolls to save members of other teams. Feel free to communicate and work out deals with other teams, if you wish.
  2. You may never use 2 Scrolls in a row to give a negative vote to the same person. If you choose to use a Scroll as a vote for the current elimination, the next time you use a Scroll must be either for a non-elimination purpose, or used as a negative vote for a different member.

As an example, let's suppose that Team1 is voting for elimination. 2 members of the team vote for Player1 to be eliminated and 2 other members vote for Player2 to be eliminated.

Instance 1 - Player5 uses a Scroll on Player1. The score would then be 2 to 1 and Player2 would be the one eliminated.
Instance 2 - Player5 and Player6 each use a Scroll on Player1. Player7 and Player8 each use a Scroll on Player2. The score would then be 0 to 0, all votes nullified, and Team1 becomes safe from elimination.

If you have any questions about this particular use of SoSMA, please ask!

The Next Challenge?

As some of you may or may not know from other sources, I am taking a somewhat last-minute trip to the US and leaving this coming Monday. I will not be leaving for home until February 3rd. Unfortunately, the only steady internet access I will have during this time will be on my phone and tablet, neither of which load PB particularly well or are good for hosting anyway.

As such, my immediate plans for The Challenge are changing. I had originally planned a much different challenge to be next, but instead I am switching to a longer term challenge that you all can work on while I'm gone. The other challenge will still be held, probably shortly after I return.

I do still think you all will have fun with the next challenge, though! Here are a few hints:
  • It will be something of a creative challenge again, though significantly different from the other creative challenges we've had so far.
  • This challenge will also be the first to have judges that aren't just me! The next challenge will also be judged by a panel of Mystery Judges.
  • Once again, you'll have over a week to work on this, and no holidays at all this time, so not submitting this time is NOT an option. I will be much stricter on teams who don't get their crap together.
  • There will be no direct SoSMA use in the next challenge.
  • Once again, the following challenge will have both a winner and a loser.
  • The challenge will go live on Sunday, the day before I leave.

Thank you everyone for participating! I hope you had fun. :)

Aureolin Amphisbaenae - Up for Elimination! Please submit your votes by the deadline
@thegrovylekid @King Xerneas @mordacazir

Xanadu Taniwha - Up for a winner's prize! Please submit your choice of prize before the deadline
@Vom @Brave Vesperia @Vracken @Celever

Safe from elimination, and no prize award, but still getting notified to see the results:
[URL='http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/members/97391/']@Luispipe8 @Cypher333 @Skyleaf2000 [/URL] @Green778 @bbninjas @Jabberwock @Mr.Muffin

In the event of an elimination tie, I will contact the Xanadu Taniwha to act as a tiebreaker.

Okay Okay :) Have fun at your trip and take care :)

One of my biggest disappointments is that I won't get to show you the awesome card that's on its way here to me until after I get back, since I don't think it will arrive here before I leave. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back