Finished The Challenge: Season 7 - And the Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
TGK has also used his scrolls. Perhaps this challenge is really just one big long game of chicken...

Jabber has submitted and Skyleaf is using her scrolls. That leaves only BV and Celeber left to submit or scroll, IIRC. Tomorrow is the deadline either way! Judging will take place over the weekend and the next challenge will start again on Monday.

Tomorrow is the deadline?

OK, now time to start the story. I'm sad we didn't have just one day longer, because my final exam is tomorrow so I would've had a revision free night to do this in. Oh well. :p

Page 132:
Damn Thread still attempts that I miss everything that's going on. I'm starting to believe it has a mind of its own...

tJTNTbL.png

While the Queen was away, the challengers got to work on their stories.

... At least some of them did, anyway.

As the deadline grew closer, most of the challengers were ill prepared to submit. Many chose to bypass the assignment entirely by summoning animal friends to complete the stories for them. A few others cheated the system by using tricks to reach the required word count. In the end, only Jabber wrote and submitted a story like he was supposed to.

When Queen Athena returned from her trip and saw the entries, she laughed out loud, declaring Jabber the winner without even needing to read the entries. "It was nice to come home to something lighthearted and amusing like this, though I do wish more of you would have submitted. I guess long deadlines are not an effective tool against procrastination for many of our competitors."

Challenge 11 Results
Character Short Stories

The uncontested winner of the writing challenge is @Jabberwock! As such, he is the recipient of the coveted Immunity prize. Jabber's full entry can be read here.

Both @Celever and @Brave Vesperia submitted entries that technically followed the rules, but they spammed words/phrases to hit the word count limit, which disqualified them from having a shot at the prize. Everyone else used SoSMAs to skip.

The Next Challenge?

Got a couple busy days ahead, so I'm going to start the next challenge on Monday, June 27th. Look forward to it! :D

uk4wdVa.png

Excited for the redo of the coming game challenge, Cecil and Altaver gathered their pre-chosen teams together and the two groups followed Athena to a lounge located near the rear of the castle. It was a large, opulent room filled with couches, pillows, and low tables. One section towards the rear window had been setup for the group with refreshments.

"We will be playing this round all at once, right here in this room, so I thought it would be prudent to choose someplace comfortable." The Queen smiled and gestured at the couches. "Everyone take a seat, and I will explain to you the basics of the game."

The challengers all crowded into the section, some lounging on couches, others taking pillows. The teams ended up roughly together, each semicircle looking at the other team across a circular table filled with goblets, and a few scrolls.

Queen Athena perched herself on the edge of a couch and looked around at everyone. "The game we will be playing today is a traditional party game from the merfolk. Due to their... rather unique political system, their country is rife with espionage between the 3 Kings and other countries. This is somewhat reflected in the merfolk culture, such as in this game, Codenames, a game about spies.

"Your two teams are each rival spy guilds run by a spymaster. The spymaster knows the codenames of all of the other spies in his guild, but none of the other members do. The purpose of the game is for the spymaster to give one-word clues to his fellow spies for them to successfully guess the codenames of the other spies, without accidentally guessing the names of the opposing spies, or the deadly assassin."

Athena smiled. "The full rules are fairly simple, and they're written in the scrolls for reference. I have some business to attend to, but I'll near nearby to keep an eye on things, and one of my pages will host the game for you once you've decided to begin. We'll play 5 rounds, each with a different spymaster. Learn fast and play well, as the losing team will face elimination. May the best team win!"

Challenge 12
Codenames!

In this challenge, each team will be playing an online version of the boardgame Codenames. The team who wins 3 of the 5 games will be the winner, and the losing team will face elimination.

Instructions:

1. Make sure you are familiar with the rules and gameplay before the game begins. Details about the game are in the section below.
  2. Before the game begins, @Brave Vesperia and @Celever must PM me their lists of spymasters for each round. They have 48 hours from the time of this post to do so.
  3. THERE IS TO BE NO OUT-OF-THREAD COMMUNICATION ABOUT THIS CHALLENGE. Any and all discussion about this challenge must take place publicly in this thread. Anyone who breaks this rule is liable for punishment, up to and including immediate elimination.
  4. The losing team will nominate one of their teammates for elimination upon completion of the challenge.

Codenames Gameplay & Rules:

(Rules shamelessly stolen and edited from the originals posted by Archamedes on the Forums of Loathing.)

Pre-Game Info:

1. In this version of Codenames we will be playing up to 5 rounds, until one of two teams (Red and Blue) has won 3 rounds.
  2. Each round, a grid of 25 words will be generated from a random pool of words. This grid will be visible in the 1st post in each round as an image and in a post in-thread. Additionally, the words will be listed, for ease of reference. Examples can be found below.
  3. Before the game begins, the team leaders (@Brave Vesperia for Red and @Celever for Blue) will assign Spymasters for each of the 5 rounds. Those lists must be PMed to me within 48 hours. Rounds 1-4 must have a different Spymaster assigned; the 5th Spymaster will be a duplicate.
  4. The Spymasters will receive a special version of the grid image that will tell them which Codename "cards" are the words for their team, which are neutral, which are the opposing team, and which one card is the Assassin.
  5. Each team's goal is to guess all of the words that match their corresponding colour while avoiding giving free to points to the other team by guessing incorrectly. Both teams want to avoid guessing the dreaded "assassin" that will automatically win the round for the other team if guessed.

RED TEAM Spymasters:

1st: @thegrovylekid
2nd: @Jabberwock
3rd: @Brave Vesperia
4th: @Luispipe8
5th: @Jabberwock

BLUE TEAM Spymasters:

1st: @bbninjas
2nd: @Celever
3rd: @Skyleaf2000
4th: @Vracken
5th: @Celever

Example Board:

1tJOUkO.png

Blue words are the words the Blue Team needs to guess; Red words are for the Red Team. Yellow words are neutral and not owned by either team. Grey word is the assassin word that automatically ends the round.

Gameplay Breakdown:
  1. When the game starts, Spymasters will post a single word Clue followed by a number. (Example Umbrella - 3) The word must indicate, suggest, allude to in some way, one or more of the agent codenames on the game board grid. The number following the clue MUST EQUAL the number of clues the spymaster believes correspond to that clue. You may not artificially inflate this number to give your team more guesses. The clue cannot be an acronym, initials, a single letter, or contain a word that is itself a codename in the grid, or part of one of the codenames in the grid.
    1. If the opposing team spymaster calls a 'Foul' on a given clue, the clue giver will be required to explain (privately) how their clue is valid in the rules, that it indicates the number of codenames given in the number following the clue and that the word given follows the above rule.
  2. After a clue has been given, discussion is open to all players who are not currently spymasters, for the purpose of interpreting the clue or intentional misinterpreting an idea for the opposing team.
  3. Any player on the active clue team can make an official guess by posting the codename they are guessing in bold with 2 hash marks. (Example: ##King) (There are 25 codenames listed in a 5x5 grid, the guesses are from a set pool not random.)
  4. When a player has posted a guess, that guess will be processed (either by the host (me!) or the appropriate Spymaster) as soon as possible. As long as a team has remaining guesses available, they may continue to guess, but each guess will be processed in post order, top first, leftmost first. If any guess belongs to the opposing team, is a neutral codename, or is the assassin, all subsequent guesses will be forfeit.
  5. Teams have ONE MORE guess than the number indicated in the clue, which allows for making up for missed codenames in previous turns. In the above example Umbrella -3, the team would have 4 guesses.
  6. A member of the team may manually end their team's turn by posting ##PASS.
  7. When a missed codename or a #PASS is posted, the other team's Spymaster may post a new Clue.
  8. Teams must use all guesses or pass within 48 hours of a clue being posted to make sure the game progresses smoothly.
  9. A round will continue until either the Red Team or the Blue Team has successfully identified all of their Secret Agent Codenames, or if a team has lost the round by triggering the Assassin.
  10. The challenge will be played until either the Red Team or the Blue Team has won 3 rounds.

Feel free to discuss the game here or in private and ask any questions you might have. If you'd like examples of previous games played, I can link you, though the forum that hosts them requires members to be logged in to view content, so you would have to make an account.

The game will officially begin once I've gotten lists of Spymasters from both teams. At that point, private communication about the challenge will be forbidden until all rounds have been completed.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

Last edited:
The great Arch will certainly track you down for such a theft! (I'll actually read the rules this time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back