That awkward moment when you can’t find the right layer

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
tumblr_lh3fq8vsWN1qzfvja.jpg

^ sort-of-reblogged from tumblr.
(for the record I do name my layers so I dont run into that problem)

So, what human errors do you normally find yourself running into? :)

I had an incident yesterday when I was doing a lineart, and I accidentally hit the X key (swap FG/BG colours) and my brush became white, and the BG was white, and I thought I had accidentally switched to Eraser mode because it looked like I was erasing instead of inking.

On photoshop (which Im now still new to) I have quite a lot of incidents of drawing on the wrong layer because of the undo system's difference from Gimp.

In photoshop, changing from one layer to another counts as an action added into the "undo list". In Gimp, it doesn't. So for instance, this sequence of human actions:

1. Stroke once on Li layer
2. Switch to Cl layer
3. Stroke once on Cl layer

... will undo differently on PS and Gimp. On Gimp the undo history is like:

2. Stroke once on Cl layer

On PS it's like

2. Switch to Cl layer and stroke once on Cl layer.

So... basically if I ever undo the 1st action I make on a newly-accessed layer and I forget that the undo in PS will also undo the layer switch, I end up doing stuff on the wrong layer. It's minor, but irritating.

Also there was once I accidentally hit Clear on a layer instead of its mask (which I intended) and I wiped the layer clean, and didnt realise it because it was a shading layer (meaning you wont see a drastic change on the tiny layer preview pic) and I was too far zoomed in.

Plus I still keep thinking that holding Alt while erasing will perform an anti-erase (Gimp-style)

50+ Layers?! That's insane! xD

Normally the most common error I make is cropping after I erased something on a different layer that I just merged. In Paint Shop Pro 9 there's a glitch that's caused when that happens, and it renders the program unusable until you close it and re-open it. I run into it every once in a while when I'm making avatars. Another error I sometimes make is drawing the heads of things too small, then having to resize them once they're scanned in. This mostly happens when the sketches stretch across two or more pieces of paper.

Haha I often make the opposite error when drawing heads: I draw them too big. A handy skill if I ever go into drawing chibis or nendoroids. Otherwise, meh.

Yeah 50+ layers is insane, I think it was just an exaggeration. I typically don't exceed 10 layers for a single art.

My full, scanned, colored pieces (like this) are usually about 10 layers. Only if I'm going for a nice, shaded, look, as opposed to graffiti-style art. For example, the piece I linked to has layers for the base colors, clouds, stars, windows, and three for shading. I believe in the end it was 12. But I do name my layers.

@dat pic

Hm that looks more like a 4-6 layer pic to me. Most of which is for the background. How many layers do you normally use for shading/highlights?

Two. I could do it easier, but I do two layers above my base colors, one with black and one with white, with the opac lowered. IDK. It's just how I like it.

gggaasaadsdsafsfafd

Photoshop's cursor options lets you either choose

Standard

or

Brush size

I WANT BOTH actally wait... I NEEEEED both

Seriously, with the lack of the tool icon from the standard cursor I paint when I'm supposed to erase, and vice versa sometimes because my eyes are fixed on the canvas and can't bother to look to the left to see the oh-so-small icon telling me which is my current tool. But if I switch to Standard, I don't have the brush size indicator. fkgjgkfggkf

I'm not happy. I wish I was stronger and werent crippled by software technicalities. If to err is human, then I am constantly reminded of my humanity when I do art >_<

Oh they warned me the conversion process would be slow and painful... I still cant even perform a colour-to-transparent operation in PS

haha I generally do about 40 layers on my GFX works. But I organize mine into folders in Photoshop. E.g. Background folder is where I get my background stock and do my little changes to it look Gaussian blur for depth and minor gradient maps. Then lighting folders, fractal folders etc.

At XieRH I wish you all the best in your obvious issues with photoshop :p

Wellll to be honest the technical stuff is just minor irritation. Actually drawing stuff is the main challenge. I mean... when illustrating, 90% of the time it's just the brush and eraser tool. Actually no make that 10%. 90% is skill, or sometimes lack thereof

tumblr_lh231j6t9y1qhtl9zo1_400.jpg

I also found a new human error of mine in PS.

Ctrl+Space + stylus tap = zoom in

Accidentally drag stylus by like 1 cm instead of tap

End up zooming in 999999999%

RageFace2.png

In gimp I could like, just press 1 key to zoom in, 1 key to zoom out... ONE SIMPLE KEY

For the uninitiated, what happens when you drag-select in zoom mode is you create a selection box, and it zooms into that box. So obviously a tiny box created by a minor stylus drag will cause you to zoom in to that tiny box (it's something like over 2000% magnification if you're wondering).

Self explanatory
23m095u.jpg

The funny thing is it took over 10 hours before someone noticed it on DA and notified me, that was about 1 person out of 100+ people who viewed the pic, who was able to notice it.

Yeah, I like to keep my colors w/out shading, and mostly close to grey. I use two layers.
layer 1: Lines
layer 2: Color
I don't use backgrounds any more.

LORDY JONES said:
Yeah, I like to keep my colors w/out shading

Of course it's better to have the shading done on a separate layer. You dont want to run into issues when you need to recolour something.

Back