Tera Garchomp ex, Tera Froslass ex, and More Revealed from “Raging Surf!”

Aside from this new Groudon, are there any other basic fighting attackers Garchomp could use and abuse.
Not much other than the exs, although Roaring Resolve Lucario exists, if you want to go for a very funny burst damage meme deck.

But then if Korrina got reprinted that would only get gible and gabite but not Garchomp, so either way, they both would have something that they would not get
Also true, but I am implying that you can bring both if Korrina does get a reprint, and its a redundancy piece once Irida rotates out. Still a long way, but a man can hope.

Also any Fighting type support at this point is very welcome, Koraidon and Ting-Lu needs them bad.

Yeah, but rotation nowadays are per block, and normally implemented after the release of the first set of year, i.e. Block H set. Meaning we can still use it during Paradox Rift set releaae.
You are aware VIP Pass rotates not long after this comes out in English, right? Larry is actually kinda decent when VIP Pass is gone

Yeah, but rotation nowadays are per block, and normally implemented after the release of the first set of year, i.e. Block H set. Meaning we can still use it during Paradox Rift set releaae.
True. Paradox rift will be released on november this year and rotation happens on April next year. we still have VIP pass for months after these will be released

They really like mascots of the set to stick out and become meta don't they. It's quite jarring to see Garchomp ex do 160 for a single Fighting Energy while accel 3 F Energies from the discard, while Tyranitar ex for the same energy does 40 less damage and has a negative effect of milling 2 cards from your deck.

That said Tyranitar does have a solid 2nd attack, while Garchomp's 2nd attack (while still good for its sniping ability) doesn't hit very hard, so do have to factor that in.

Last edited:
RIP my hopes for Groudon ex
Part of me was thinking that "Oh Creatures must be giving ultra rares to underrated Pokemon" but then I also remember that Charizard, Zeraora, and Lucario have gotten about 1,000 exs, GXs, Vs, and whatever other ultra rares for that specific generation

That Garchomp is freaking nuts. 160 for 1 energy is insane enough but then you can accelerate energy? Holy moly that might be a deck I run.

I like the ability of Froslass. If only it was more offensively present in the game.

Groudon's neat. No really good way to accelerate back those discarded energy, but at least it can be from anything.

The TMs are interesting. Sneak Attack isn't great, but Energy Turbo is a more versatile Mirage Gate as an attack. I can see it being used against things you are confident aren't going to set up completely the following turn (good for offense if your opponent bricks)

Rika's alright. It'll see very little play, but it fills the void of Oranguru at least.

Larry finally gets a card, best character in the game. The card's effect isn't bad either, giving you 2 Capturing Aroma as a Supporter. Could see play with Lugia, it's already a coin flip deck as is.

Also true, but I am implying that you can bring both if Korrina does get a reprint, and its a redundancy piece once Irida rotates out. Still a long way, but a man can hope.

Also any Fighting type support at this point is very welcome, Koraidon and Ting-Lu needs them bad.
Yeah, i don't know why they refuse to give Fighting hardly any good support, Fighting needs it bad.

Great reveals! I'm thrilled Technical Machines are finally back (I think they should be a staple in the TCG) and I'm actually kinda happy Groudon is a 1-prizer (I just like them more, and I'm glad to see a normal Pokemon on the pack art - not sure how common that is in Japan, but it's rare in the West).

Garchomp is deceptively good.

I almost want to say doing 160 damage and accelerating 3 energy at the same time for 1 energy is broken, but we all know that if a stage 2 multi-prizer with no ability didn't have that kind of attack it would probably see zero play. Fighting-type decks have some of the clunkiest and unreliable forms of energy acceleration, so Garchomp ex isn't obsolete in that regard, but it also serves as a decent attacker at the same time. Hitting 160 for 1 energy is actually huge, because this means in can 2HKO most multi-prizers in neutral MU and OHKO most that are weak to it (which is the big selling point for off-type terras), and the second attack can be really good to pick off unevolved Pokemon early game and weakened multi-prizers late game. The not taking damage on the bench is actually pretty useful this time when you pair it with Garchomp ex setting up your board, retreating for free, and then remaining a threat in the lategame with its snipe. Last but not least, while it's weak to Lightning, almost all Lightning Pokemon are weak to Fighting (exceptions like Flying Pika), so if the opponent hits you for weakness you can likely do the same right back with the Pokemon Garchomp ex powered up.

Overall very happy with the Chomp. Shame we don't have anything like Dragon Call Gabite to push it even further.

Garchomp is deceptively good.

I almost want to say doing 160 damage and accelerating 3 energy at the same time for 1 energy is broken, but we all know that if a stage 2 multi-prizer with no ability didn't have that kind of attack it would probably see zero play. Fighting-type decks have some of the clunkiest and unreliable forms of energy acceleration, so Garchomp ex isn't obsolete in that regard, but it also serves as a decent attacker at the same time. Hitting 160 for 1 energy is actually huge, because this means in can 2HKO most multi-prizers in neutral MU and OHKO most that are weak to it (which is the big selling point for off-type terras), and the second attack can be really good to pick off unevolved Pokemon early game and weakened multi-prizers late game. The not taking damage on the bench is actually pretty useful this time when you pair it with Garchomp ex setting up your board, retreating for free, and then remaining a threat in the lategame with its snipe. Last but not least, while it's weak to Lightning, almost all Lightning Pokemon are weak to Fighting (exceptions like Flying Pika), so if the opponent hits you for weakness you can likely do the same right back with the Pokemon Garchomp ex powered up.

Overall very happy with the Chomp. Shame we don't have anything like Dragon Call Gabite to push it even further.
Man i would love a Dragon Call Gabite reprint, but at the same time it would not grab this Garchomp, cause Dragon call only got Dragon Pokemon, this Garchomp is Water. Maybe a Gabite with an ability that could let you search your deck for a Garchomp card and put it in your hand.

Any deck running reversal energy or just have good energy acceleration can also run sneak attack, that's really interesting, I can imagine running that in gardevoir

Sneak Attack could be interesting on Evolving Skies' Jumpluff, 200 snipe for a reversal energy on a single prizer isn't terrible. In Expanded you could also use it on the Bunnelby from Primal Clash to get it off on turn one, though then you lose spread from Matchless Maelstrom

Back