Team Aqua's Kyogre-EX, Team Magma's Groudon-EX from 'Double Crisis' [1/12]

OH GOD. RETURN OF TEAM MAGMA. If the rest of the Team Magma/Aqua cards are okay I could see a fun little gimmick deck. :D

dey so pretteh :p

But seriously, that art is really neat. It's a shame they aren't that powerful for the energy cost. 190 HP is nice, though.

Looking forward to the rest of the magma/aqua cards, but WOW these cards are bad. The attacks suck even without the ability as a drawback.

TokenDuelist said:
GadgetJax said:
These cards are cool in terms of artwork, but I'm not a fan of Kyogre's art. Did they really have to choose such a suggestive pose for Shelley? :(

Yes, I do think that these cards could see play with Silent Lab (even Ninetales) or Garbodor, but I feel that we're in for some pretty good Team Aqua/Magma cards. From the art alone, it's pretty easy to assume that we'll be getting some kind of Zangoose, Seviper, Sharpedo & Camerupt (possibly Mega), Claydol, and maybe a new Walrein. Considering how Kyogre-EX and Groudon-EX harken back to their EX era counterparts, I wouldn't be surprised if the other ones followed suit, like Claydol with Magma Switch, or a Seviper with 'Call For Family'.

There is absolutely nothing suggestive about that pose at all good sir. If you wanna talk suggestive art maybe look for the unused Lopunny art from one of the plasma sets. Now THAT is suggestive.

As for the cards I feel like they will reference the old EX Era cards. I also feel like they'll be SP Pokemon with Archie and Maxie being ways to counter Pyroar or any other anti-basic decks.

Not trying to be wierd but can I have a link? I never heard about a banned artwork in the TCG before (besides that one Misty card)

Reggie McGigas said:
TokenDuelist said:
There is absolutely nothing suggestive about that pose at all good sir. If you wanna talk suggestive art maybe look for the unused Lopunny art from one of the plasma sets. Now THAT is suggestive.

As for the cards I feel like they will reference the old EX Era cards. I also feel like they'll be SP Pokemon with Archie and Maxie being ways to counter Pyroar or any other anti-basic decks.

Not trying to be wierd but can I have a link? I never heard about a banned artwork in the TCG before (besides that one Misty card)

There was a Magmortar that got altered in English too

Though this Lopunny seems to have been rejected even though it was intended for the card game. Obviously it's pose is pretty suggestive considering Lopunny's design.

I don't see Shelly's pose suggestive at all. She is literally doing nothing to look that way. She is clearly in an action pose, not a "Hey look fanservice card" pose.

Maybe it's just me, but I seriously question rather a piece of art that is linked to deviant art was really considered for card art for the card game.

Pikachu6319 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I seriously question rather a piece of art that is linked to deviant art was really considered for card art for the card game.

It's literally mentioned in the artist's description.
That is TOKIYA's DeviantArt

Tokiya Sakuba is, indeed, an official Pokémon TCG artist. You can see a selection of his work for Pokémon on his official website. Many professional artists have dA and/or pixiv accounts these days, the same way you see celebrities on twitter or whatever.

I didn't see a description anywhere, and still don't honestly. The name doesn't really mean anything to me either. Not that in the end it really matters anyway.

Hopefully these packs ill be less then 4.19 a pack since they only contain 6 cards. Of course the holo may raise the price.

Maserati777 said:
Hopefully these packs ill be less then 4.19 a pack since they only contain 6 cards. Of course the holo may raise the price.

They aren't sold in normal packs, only blisters and such

Camerupt is so boss in the new card for him. He's running away from an explosion alongside 2 grunts. 1 guy running alongside, and 1 girl struggling to hold on to him.

Team%2BMagmas%2BSwagerupt.png

I think it's kind of stupid that a Team Aqua Sharpedo is a dark type. Water would have been more thematically appropriate.

We also know that Team Aqua's Carvahna and Team Magma's Numel will be in this set too. That just leaves twenty eight unknown cards. Unfortunantley I'm beginning to suspect that Sharpedo EX and Camerupt EX won't be part of this set.

Athena said:
Tokiya Sakuba is, indeed, an official Pokémon TCG artist. You can see a selection of his work for Pokémon on his official website. Many professional artists have dA and/or pixiv accounts these days, the same way you see celebrities on twitter or whatever.

Yep this is true. I'm friends with Mitsuhiro Arita on Facebook. :p

It's worth noting that Kyogre and Groudon EX are Glass Holos, as evidenced by the detail on the border. For a really crystal clear look, here's a scan from the JPN Website.

kaigodon%2Band%2Bthe%2Bslimly%2Btrim%2Bsix.png

I can appreciate the fact that these images are bigger. It gives much more detail. I have to say I would have preferred to see Crawdaunt in place of Seviper and Houndoom in place of Zangoose. That would have been much more thematically appropriate.

I have to wonder if we'll see Magma's Primal Groundon EX and Aqua's Primal Kyogre EX. It'd be a lot of space taken in the name area but it might be just as cool. It could also have the approrpiate team boss in the image too.

Pikachu6319 said:
I can appreciate the fact that these images are bigger. It gives much more detail. I have to say I would have preferred to see Crawdaunt in place of Seviper and Houndoom in place of Zangoose. That would have been much more thematically appropriate.

I have to wonder if we'll see Magma's Primal Groundon EX and Aqua's Primal Kyogre EX. It'd be a lot of space taken in the name area but it might be just as cool. It could also have the approrpiate team boss in the image too.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Magma_Spirit_%28TCG%29

Its a homage to a World Championship deck and a nod to the old achytype of the old EX R/S/E series. And the other card features the "polar" opposites. So I don't really see how its not thematically appropriate given the meaning of the picture.

Also just because an artists doesn't put a description of what they did doesn't mean we cant infer that that art he did was sort of an original concept. Given that its done in the same painterly style, I dont see why it's not valid.

The description says- "Pokemon card game." with a link redirecting you to his personal website that showcases his other work and ultimately the lopunny version that did get into print. Cant get any clearer than that. He also doesn't speak English that much so I can see why he doesnt have a long-winded DA description for it.

I'm just saying that it could have been more than just the opposite thing that Zangoose and Seviper have. Those have appeared in some form on other cards. Take the first Zangoose in Sandstorm that specifically could not be poisoned. Though that could apply to any Pokemon that poisons we all know that Pokepower was there specifically for Seviper. Even more specific is it's first attack which only gets a boost against Seviper.

Despite different methods what they are trying to do is essentially the same. They are trying to control a legendary Pokemon to make the world into what they believe it should be. If anything something like a Mightyena should have been in both of their cards as a reminder to how similar the two evil teams really are.

The theme could just as easily be water vs. ground. Neither Zangoose nor Seviper qualify. Crawdaunt does. Houndoom doesn't on paper but since Groudon was using sunlight to expand the land that equates to fire, it could make Houndoom qualify. This ignores the fact Primal Groudon gains fire type since this was not the case in the original R/S/E. Or if nothing else it could have been Aggron instead, which was also a Magma Pokemon in the R/S/E Aqua vs. Magma.

As for being a World Championship deck in 2004, well that's a cool tidbit but kind of a small thing. It's no different in that regard than making the Axew that lets a player search their deck for a copy of Iris as a nod to the BW anime. Again though these are just my opinions and you are free to disagree with it.

I don't really have anywhere else to say this, so I'm going to comment on my own stupidity here....

For some reason, I didn't realize that the Double Crisis packs were sold in booster boxes. I thought they were only available in the "concept packs" that come with 2 packs and some promo stuff, so I ordered a bunch of those, and now the booster boxes are sold old on AmiAmi. >_< I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that the boxes come back in stock once the product is available. At least ordering a box separately from the promo packs means that I definitely won't have to pay customs fees...

Back