TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

RE: Plasma (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

At Regionals this past weekend, I saw results very similar to Cortel's. Most of the Plasmabox decks I saw ran 1 Thundurus at the most. Many ran 0. There was one of them I saw that ran 4 Thundurus, but most of them ran either 1 or 0. It surprised me because I thought Thundurus was used for late-game recovery and early-game energy recycling, but...dang. Never thought I'd see the day when Thundurus was asked to go away.

I just got home from Regionals and alot of the Plasma TDK desk I seen had 0-2 Thundurus EX. Most of them ran more basic enegry than what they normally did. I seen super rod and switches in them. For the most part, people who play it are trying to change it to make them driftblim / hammers match up a bit easier.

Running 0 is fine now, just run water and psychic with the plasma energy you can still turn 2 blizzard burn!

Take out special energy for basic energy. Maybe try landorous and plasma badge, lol. Best option is to just use basic energy.

The girl with the dragonite tattoo said:
I got some troubles with hammertime and normal darkrai decks, what are the best techs?

What scREAM said. Alternatively, if you can find one, the Plasma Landorus Promo is a good card against Darkrai. With a Bangle and 1 Deoxys, you can KO a Darkrai for 2 Energy.

This deck has a weakness to Darkrai decks, atleast my variant. I went 4-0 against TDK in Houston because of Zoroark. Dark Rush attack did wonders due to incremental damage by Kyurem and Thundurus EX. The deck is nuts in power but needs some tightening up to beat cards like Zoroark. Yes I know everyone will bash me for this post saying Zoroark is a bad card and no one plays it but I do and it wins against TDK.

It2Zoroark said:
This deck has a weakness to Darkrai decks, atleast my variant. I went 4-0 against TDK in Houston because of Zoroark. Dark Rush attack did wonders due to incremental damage by Kyurem and Thundurus EX. The deck is nuts in power but needs some tightening up to beat cards like Zoroark. Yes I know everyone will bash me for this post saying Zoroark is a bad card and no one plays it but I do and it wins against TDK.
The first sentence kind of debunked your whole point.
The person you played could have also just been a bad player, had bad luck or a bad variation of the deck. Possibly a combination of the three.

Zora isn't that bad and I believe Pooka runs it.

I'm gonna have to take my special energies out for this season, just about any deck can run against Plasma with 4 Enhanced Hammers (with Crushing Hammer back as well, that just makes it worse). Darkrai decks are the worst due to Sableye's recycling of the stuff...man I hate that deck so much! Then there is Driflim, one of the worst thing I could ever come across in any match. Its so easy to just throw in a line or 2 to counter Plasma as well. Thus defining my experience at Houston Regionals, full of counters for Plasma decks lol. I had the misfortune of being paired up with a Haxorus deck that wiped the floor with me as soon as Haxorus reared it's ugly head! I would love to hope that basic energies will give Plasma a tremendous boost in playability because the energies will be more difficult to knock off.

What does an energy line look like for this deck?

Assume the pokemon lines look something like this:
4 Deoxys EX
2 Thundurus EX
3 Kyurem
1 Keldeo EX
1 Lugia EX

MMAmonchan said:
What does an energy line look like for this deck?

Assume the pokemon lines look something like this:
4 Deoxys EX
2 Thundurus EX
3 Kyurem
1 Keldeo EX
1 Lugia EX

I play this line without Keldeo and Lugia. Instead i play 1 Absol. My energy line is:

4 Prism
4 Plasma
3 Water
2 Lightning

with also 1 Energy Search. I don't think that Lugia EX is necessary, but if you want to include it, add 1 DCE and play Scramble Switch.

Thanks for the advice. I like Lugia EX. he can be fun late game or he can give you a significant lead early game.

I'm really beginning to think Plasma is on the down slope, especially now that it's practically forced to play Basic Energies.

Speaking of Energies, is it still worth playing Thundurus EX? During my testing, I've found little need for it so far and have actually removed them from my list.

Brave Vesperia said:
I'm really beginning to think Plasma is on the down slope, especially now that it's practically forced to play Basic Energies.

Speaking of Energies, is it still worth playing Thundurus EX? During my testing, I've found little need for it so far and have actually removed them from my list.

Thundurus is a must. When your first Kyurem will be KO'd, what will you do? Also, I don't have problems with Hammers. Just try to attach the Lightning Energy to Thundurus (I play 2 and 1 Energy Search).

I STILL like and run Thundurus EX in my Team Plasma, KDT, deck. I missed a League Challenge tournament finals by not drawing into the 1 card I needed. Had I won the semi's match, I would have faced the player running Empoleon-Dusknoir with Leafeon in the finals. This would have been a good battle, but I felt I had a definite advantage since I could easily 2HKO (Frost Spear + Raiden Knuckle) his main attackers and minimize damage on my Poké to render his Dusknoir ineffective.

I still like me some Thundurus as well. It has good type coverage for people running Tornadus EX (been seeing it a bit lately), and the energy recovery is a nice thing to have when in a bind.

I run Plasma, and I have 2 ideas about the Pokemon line:

>2 Thundurus, 4 Kyurem, 3 Deoxys, 1 Keldeo, 1 Mime (In that case I run 2 Float Stone 2 Escape Rope, and 6 water / 3 lightning / 2 psychic / 4 plasma)
>2 Thundurus, 4 Kyurem, 3 Deoxys, 1 Genesect, 1 Mime (In that case I run 2 Float Stone 3 Switch, 4 water / 2 lightning / 4 prism / 4 plasma)

What's the more solid option?

What seems to be more consistent? The version with only Kyurem, Thundurus and Deoxys or the pokemon heavy tech deck? Ive had my deck both ways and while I love having Lugia EX and Snorlax (Teampact!) it almost seemed to work better/faster when I was streamlined.

Definitely. I personally like a more streamlined deck; e.g., I only run 2 Kyurem now and no Snorlax in my current version.

I really like the plasma variant with Kyurem and Genesect. I maxed out on skyla. Same old plasma beatdown with a few bonus tricks up it's sleeve.

Back