TCG Bi-Weekly Survey #2: Twist Mountain and Restored Pokémon

Zorua

Zedd
Advanced Member

TCG Survey​
Topic 2: Twist Mountain and Restored Pokémon​

Welcome to this week's Bi-Weekly Survey!

The Bi-Weekly Surveys are meant to generate discussion about the topic stated, while gathering information on how PB TCG Players feel about certain topics. I plan on gathering all of the information we've received in the threads after a period of time and making a post analyzing that data to better understand what PB TCG Players have to say about specific discussions. Therefore, it's important that as many players as possible participate. For the time being, I am only planning on conducting this for the TCG, but may poll the VG Players of PB at a later time.

In each Bi-Weekly Survey, there will be a discussion prompt for everyone to start off with. They'll all be questions; providing an answer to that question with your opinion and then expressing why you think that way is the goal of this series.

This survey's question is as follows:

How will Twist Mountain affect the format? Will it finally make Restored Pokémon playable? Are the Restored Pokémon we have released good enough to even warrant playing and using Twist Mountain?

Twist Mountain's scan is posted below for reference:

101-twist-mountain.jpg

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: TCG Bi-Weekly Survey #2: Twist Mountain and Revived Pokémon

With how big the EXs are, I don't expect Archeops to really be good. If the game didn't have so many big basics it'd be more interesting. I do think Aerodactyl has potential since it is a constant Plus Power. I could see it going in Terrakion, but I'm not sure what else it could really fit in that is meta.

PumpedAaron

S Type Armor
Donphan, it fits in with Donphan!! More specifically, DonChampLand!! Now Landorus can 2HKO 180 HP EX's, as well as Machamp, as well as Donphan if it gets to use Heavy Impact (veeeerrry unlikely, I know, but just throwing that out there). Of course I'm talking about using Aerodactyl with Twist Mountain. Its nice to be able to counter your opponents Stadium too.

Blah

DBT
RE: TCG Bi-Weekly Survey #2: Twist Mountain and Restored Pokémon

I've actually done some testing with this and Aerodactyl in a Terrakion deck. The extra pluspower is awesome, and it's basically a massive troll face to Eviolites. The flip gets in the way, but it often isn't too hard to set it eventually during a match. The main problem with Aerodactyl is the low HP makes it catcher bait, and given the semi-difficulty of getting it out, Aerodactyl may end up just being wasted space and free prizes for your opponent. Overall, Twist Mountain is awesome because it makes things like Aerodactyl playable, but I'm still not sure whether it's worth the deck space yet.

venasour x

Now I'm in college :)

I don't like it. I would rather dedicate the space to more PlusPowers than to try and flip to get an Aerodactyl out. I like Twist Mountain itself, but not in tandem with Aerodactyl (at least yet). The flip at Catcher really ruin it.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Most metagame decks will not give up the space for a potential PlusPower on the field. It's insult to injury that you have to flip for it too. The only viable Pokemon would be Aerodactyl as Archeops is still essentially a Stage 1 and his Ability doesn't do anything in a practically all Basic deck Format. It does make the Fossils a tad more playable, but not enough to actually affect and shape the metagame.

dmaster out.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
I don't think Archeops will have too much potential even with Twist Mountain because it's still a lot of space in a deck and its completely useless against two top tier decks, CMT and Tetrakion, and Eelektriks are set up pretty fast so there's a chance that it will be useless against every deck in the meta while taking up lots of space.

Carracosta just has a plain old bad attack, its Ability only allows it to function in the active spot, somewhere a Stage 2.5 should never be (face it, when the way to get out your first form requires another card and some luck then its significantly harder to get out that a normal stage 2).

Aerodactyl is the only Restored Pokemon that has any hint of playability even with Twist Mountain out. However, I still don't think its very good. Many decks in the format require bench space. Zoroark obviously won't run Aerodactyl because it adds 10 damage to his attack while any old dark Pokemon adds 20 and is easier to set up. ZekEels just doesn't really have the bench room in my experience to be able to keep an Aerodactyl there. Tetrakion seldom has bench space troubles in my experience, but a large part of its success is its relative difficulty to KO. Aerodactyl only has 90 hp, which does bring it out of Tornadus and Thundurus OHKO range, but its still low enough that Zekrom (EX), Zoroark, Darkrai, Tornadus EX, Terrakion, etc. can still easily KO it. Also, there isn't too much that 100 damage KOs that 90 doesn't. An Eviolited EX I guess but Terrakion can deal with that using PlusPowers anyway which are more consistent since Tetrakion often has to hand refresh to get Exp. Shares to Aerodactyl could be a tough fit. I haven't played with/against CMT as much as other decks so I can't really say how much it needs Aerodactyl, but with Tornadus EX instead of Tornadus it can hit the 90 required to OHKO Eels much easier, one of the reasons it runs Pluspower anyway.

tl;dr Even with Twist Mountain, Aerodactyl is the only remotely useful Restored Pokemon and even then its not going to be as huge in the meta as some people predicted.

grantm1999

VileGar

Too much space IMO in any deck besides...
~Terrakion and Landorus/Terrakion. I can honestly see it there. (Other people have explained why)
~Carracosta energy denial. You play Twist Mountain anyway and Aerodactyl gives a much needed power boost to Carracosta. Play cards such as Lost Remover, Crushing Hammer, and Kyurem EX to make it (probably not) work.

cf11

Aspiring Trainer

It will only help aroedactyl and Tornadus donk the format is filled with basics so archeops can't really shine. Also you need to flip a coin and have the pokemon in your hand!!!! I don't think it will have an impact.

Puff-Sun

Gogoats

It won't have much of an impact, but it could make a BIG difference in rogue decks like empoleon, who just need that little power boost to score OHKOs.
Terrakion+Landorus+vileplume+aerodactyl= new BDIF

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.

I think Twist Mountain is definitely worth testing out with Aerodactyl. One important thing about Aerodactyl that people aren't mentioning is that it is a fighting type that attacks for only colorless energy. With a DCE, it takes two turns to power up, which isn't horrible, and having just one in play it does a solid 100 to lightning decks. But if you swarm a lot of Aerodactyl (though I'll admit this isn't something most decks would do...) and throw down some PlusPower, you can potentially one-shot some big lightining types like Zekrom EX. As I was saying earlier, Aerodactyl's ability also stacks. People don't seem to pay too much mind to this, but this can be pretty huge if used in the right decks.

I should also mention that in our current format, anyway, Skyarrow Bridge is a huge part of many top decks. This might change a little with the release of Dark Explorers, but having another playable stadium in the format is pretty noteworthy, considering that there's now an actually convenient way of discarding your opponent's Skyarrow Bridges, for decks running Aerodactyl anyway(or Archeops or Carracosta, if you must.)

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Only thing that Twist Mountain helps is Areodactyl, making him an easy tech in Terrakion decks, but thats it. Archeops and Carracosta are no where near fast or strong enough to compare to EXs. Unless my dreams come true and they make a Carracosta and Archeops EX (Which doesnt seem to be happening) then Twist Mountain is only really good to take out your opponets Skyarrow Bridge.

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.

olimar1023 said:
Only thing that Twist Mountain helps is Areodactyl, making him an easy tech in Terrakion decks, but thats it. Archeops and Carracosta are no where near fast or strong enough to compare to EXs. Unless my dreams come true and they make a Carracosta and Archeops EX (Which doesnt seem to be happening) then Twist Mountain is only really good to take out your opponets Skyarrow Bridge.

Well to be fair, there's plenty of stadium options better than Twist Mountain if you're not using Aerodactyl. The significance here is that due to Aerodactyl having some hype, Twist Mountain might actually be somewhat present in the meta, unlike other stadiums spare Tropical Beach, for those who can actually afford it.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Meaty said:
Well to be fair, there's plenty of stadium options better than Twist Mountain if you're not using Aerodactyl. The significance here is that due to Aerodactyl having some hype, Twist Mountain might actually be somewhat present in the meta, unlike other stadiums spare Tropical Beach, for those who can actually afford it.

What I meant was Twist Mountain COULD help Areodactyl, but most likely the best thing it would do (even in a deck with Areodactyl) is take out opponet's Skyarrow Bridges.

Blui

lv85 paladin

How will Twist Mountain affect the format?
Twist Mountain will make Restored Pokemon better, it will be rare in decks, it won't really affect the metagame.
Will it finally make Restored Pokémon playable?
Sadly, no. They have low HP, and aren't to good. Probably with Vileplume it will work.
Are the Restored Pokémon we have released good enough to even warrant playing and using Twist Mountain?
No they are not, with the slight exception of Aerodactyl. They have low HP and are Catcher bait.