• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Talonflame/Typhlosion budget build

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
Super Rod might be nice too, in case you have a KO on a typhlosion, and need to get one back in deck. Getting the energy back in there ain't gonna hurt, either.

BenNeto

Aspiring Trainer
I tried this deck with some variations in the trainers and energy lines, but with the same Pokemon line.
The problem of my deck was the lack of draw power. With 4 ultra balls and no draw power i wasnt able to use those ultra balls frequently.
Another problem was that, normally, i could only set up 1 cyndaquil/typhlosion. If i couldnt kill the oponent's Pokemon with first massive eruption i ended up losing the game.

But, yea, it was fun to play.

Btw, i used more 4 Skylas and 2 energy recyclers.

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
I think 2 Super Rod is definitely a good idea, especially so you can make sure you have good odds of keeping your energy high. I like the concept behind Talonflame BREAK, but I am only going to be able to put up a Talonflame around 60% of the game, and usually, I would rather spend searches on Typhlosion, however, I can definitely see the card being useful.

Lykoan

Aspiring Trainer
Could this be used in the 2017 rotation? Sorry for the newb question.. I'm just learning the game and I'm looking for my first deck build.

thevegasbomb

Substitute
Any update on this deck, I just bought most of what I need for it..although I am wanting to run vs seekers and puzzles since I have them and skyla works well with puzzle..and added teamates too
But just wanted to know how your testing has been and thoughts

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
Any update on this deck, I just bought most of what I need for it..although I am wanting to run vs seekers and puzzles since I have them and skyla works well with puzzle..and added teamates too
But just wanted to know how your testing has been and thoughts

I don't really like VS Seeker or Puzzle, I have played 2 Seeker and it worked out fine, but I like Random Receiver more, it is definitely an option if you only run a couple. The issue with Puzzle is trying to get 2 copies together when you are milling so many cards, and you need to play 4 to give you the highest probability but, you don't really have space for that. I like Team Mates, might run 1 to search with Skyla. I currently like 2 Skyla, gives good ratios on the Random Receiver. The list as first presented is alright for a rough build, but you need to fine tune it to your meta and what you like playing.

Creez

Aspiring Trainer
I don't really like VS Seeker or Puzzle, I have played 2 Seeker and it worked out fine, but I like Random Receiver more, it is definitely an option if you only run a couple. The issue with Puzzle is trying to get 2 copies together when you are milling so many cards, and you need to play 4 to give you the highest probability but, you don't really have space for that. I like Team Mates, might run 1 to search with Skyla. I currently like 2 Skyla, gives good ratios on the Random Receiver. The list as first presented is alright for a rough build, but you need to fine tune it to your meta and what you like playing.

why you dont like vs seeker? i find it to be a very good card :O

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
why you dont like vs seeker? i find it to be a very good card :O

It is a good card I use 4 in almost all of my decks, but this deck doesn't really need it as much as others. You have limited deck space because you still want to hit for big damage with Typhlosion, you usually want to end games super quickly to where repeated supporter use isn't necessary, and lastly budget deck.

WastedSkyPirate

Hi @Chancewoot!

I love random deck ideas like this - looking forward to trying it out later.

One possible suggestion however - is it worth including a couple more Poke Balls? The obvious choice being Level Ball as, otherwise, this deck looks worryingly donkable, even with Talonflame. Have you found donks to be an issue so far?

Furthermore, and this might sound counterintuitive considering the previous statement, I would decrease the Cyndaquil count to 3 - giving you a higher chance of starting with Talonflame.

I can also see there being a case for Teammates, another Skyla and Energy Recycler. If you play Energy Recycler, you could afford to increase your count of Professor Sycamore and decrease your count of N accordingly.

I'd also consider Ace Trainer. The likelihood is that your starter is going down. Aero Blitz can you nab you Ace Trainer and potentially swing the momentum in the early stages of the game.

Last edited:

BBsSearch

Aspiring Trainer
SIGH......what are you guys doing to my deck this time?? None of this even makes sense. Sorry that when you played me on TCGO, it went too fast for you to even remember how it goes. So discouraging to see a concept I put in countless hours on come down to this.

Where is your talonflame BREAK? Oh. right! I purposely don't play it in some games (kind of a baiting technique, so how would you know?) just to see who's going to post "their" amazing talonflame/typhlosion decklist, and not even include half of what's really important for it to be that offensive...Lo and behold-- my experiment worked!

2 talonflame, 1 talonflame BREAK. that is all. BTW u welcome! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
Hi @Chancewoot!

I love random deck ideas like this - looking forward to trying it out later.

One possible suggestion however - is it worth including a couple more Poke Balls? The obvious choice being Level Ball as, otherwise, this deck looks worryingly donkable, even with Talonflame. Have you found donks to be an issue so far?

Furthermore, and this might sound counterintuitive considering the previous statement, I would decrease the Cyndaquil count to 3 - giving you a higher chance of starting with Talonflame.

I can also see there being a case for Teammates, another Skyla and Energy Recycler. If you play Energy Recycler, you could afford to increase your count of Professor Sycamore and decrease your count of N accordingly.

I'd also consider Ace Trainer. The likelihood is that your starter is going down. Aero Blitz can you nab you Ace Trainer and potentially swing the momentum in the early stages of the game.

There really isn't a purpose to try to avoid getting donked, because less than 50% of the time you will start with Cyndaquil, and the probability that you will play against a deck that can donk you is low, then they have to get all the resources to donk you, so it isn't worth worrying about. Level Ball might be an option, but again, Fire Energy needs to take up a good amount of space.

I like 2 Skyla now, it gets the job done and it can find trainer techs. I like 2 Super Rod, the card is pretty good in this deck and in the case you need to slowly evolve something or mill something by accident, it is more flexible than Energy Recycler.

Ace Trainer is something worth looking into though!

WastedSkyPirate

So I ended up going on a bit of a hot streak with this deck last night - it's so much fun!

Here's the list I used, for reference:

Pokemon (13)

4 Cyndaquil
1 Quilava
4 Typhlosion
4 Talonflame

Trainers (23)

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
2 Random Receiver
2 Energy Recycler

Energy (24)

24 Fire Energy

Just from using this list, I can see how Super Rod appeals - it's a card that could stop you from 'defeating yourself' through discarding too many Pokemon. I might try to fit it in somewhere. Aside from that, Energy Recycler is pro in this deck. I found myself accessing it in the late game fairly consistently where it increases your chances of hitting Fire Energy from Massive Eruption to take knockouts and pull away in the prize race. It also works well with Professor Sycamore, in that you don't mind discarding a hand full of Energy, safe in the knowledge you can *probably* Recycle it later.

I have to say Level Ball worked very well - it gives you another out to your Cyndaquil, other than Ultra Ball and Talonflame, (ideally you'll have at least two on your first turn) and it takes a non-Energy card out of the deck, this is another way of increasing your chance of hitting Energy from Massive Eruption.

In fact, I'd say that this deck should consider running more Supporters that pull non-Energy cards from the deck, such as Skyla (which I intend to test next), Misty's Determination, Brigette and Teammates. I don't think there's space for all of these but it's worth testing them individually. Perhaps cut the Professor Sycamores down to zero, one or two (you don't want to discard your Fire Energy from your hand, even if you do play Energy Recycler) and play four N or four Judge. This way you shuffle your Fire Energy back into your deck. Furthermore, Judge works better in the early game as it disadvantages your opponent more than a turn 1 or turn 2 N would and you don't mind just getting 4 cards if you've got Talonflame up.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts. I'm looking forward to this deck developing - I might even take it to a League Challenge if I get the chance!

Last edited: