• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Talonflame/Typhlosion budget build

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 13
4 Talonflame
4 Cyndaquil
1 Quilava
4 Typhlosion
Trainer: 19
2 Random Receiver
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Lysandre
4 N
2 Professor Sycamore
1 Skyla
Energy: 28
28 Fire Energy

Why does this work?
This deck is stupidly fast, it can go first or second, has cheap attacks, and you don't have any snipe able Pokemon like Shaymin-EX. You also can run basically any techs you want, however it will cost you consistency.

What does Talonflame add?
Talonflame adds a great starter Pokemon while you wait for your Typhlosions to be powered up. Largely replaces Skyla due to you being able to search 2 cards and not use a supporter. Free retreat so once you power up a Typhlosion, you can put it right into work.

Downfalls?
Any water deck or item lock deck will completely wreck this deck. You also can lose to your own deck a lot, and while Talonflame does help your starts, it doesn't solve your awful hands of 4+ Fire Energy. You also don't have guaranteed damage on your attack which is very problematic against Megas.

Discussion
What do you think about the deck? Personally, I will probably build it because the deck is under $20 if you have staple cards. I don't think the deck is that great due to the variance in how it performs, but I do think this deck has a lot of potential as a fun deck to use at Leagues.

It's great on PTCGO for laddering. It's also a real pain to fight against because unless you run one of the decks that auto-wins against it you will almost always lose. Talonflame is an excellent addition, enabling you to fetch Quilava or Lysandre (or both) under item lock so you aren't completely drawing dead.

Though you might want to increase the Skyla count by one or two. Using one basically forces you to start with Talonflame to ensure a fast setup and that doesn't always happen.

Though you might want to increase the Skyla count by one or two. Using one basically forces you to start with Talonflame to ensure a fast setup and that doesn't always happen.

Probably going to do that, can't currently test it out but when I can, I will. I want the build to be as consistent as possible, but the more consistent you make it, the less energies you run, which lowers how much damage you will do on average.

Well, 26 energy is still enough.

With all that energy, would a single Volcanion EX be useful, just to help tip the scales on KOing EXes when you only hit two fire on the Flare Destroy?

Steam up doesn't work on stage 2s.

It does, but it's rotating out.

Pokemon: 13
4 Talonflame
4 Cyndaquil
1 Quilava
4 Typhlosion
Trainer: 19
2 Random Receiver
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
2 Lysandre
4 N
2 Professor Sycamore
1 Skyla
Energy: 28
28 Fire Energy

Why does this work?
This deck is stupidly fast, it can go first or second, has cheap attacks, and you don't have any snipe able Pokemon like Shaymin-EX. You also can run basically any techs you want, however it will cost you consistency.

What does Talonflame add?
Talonflame adds a great starter Pokemon while you wait for your Typhlosions to be powered up. Largely replaces Skyla due to you being able to search 2 cards and not use a supporter. Free retreat so once you power up a Typhlosion, you can put it right into work.

Downfalls?
Any water deck or item lock deck will completely wreck this deck. You also can lose to your own deck a lot, and while Talonflame does help your starts, it doesn't solve your awful hands of 4+ Fire Energy. You also don't have guaranteed damage on your attack which is very problematic against Megas.

Discussion
What do you think about the deck? Personally, I will probably build it because the deck is under $20 if you have staple cards. I don't think the deck is that great due to the variance in how it performs, but I do think this deck has a lot of potential as a fun deck to use at Leagues.
How about adding in two Talonflame Breaks and replacing 4 of your Fire Energy with 4 Burning Energy in order to keep Talonflame Break's Flare Blitz going?

Burning Energy is a bad idea because it doesn't increase Massive Eruption's damage. You should also never be attacking with Talonflame BREAK. The point of the deck is to spam Massive Eruption. If you can't, you should be Aero Blitzing until you can.

Burning Energy is a bad idea because it doesn't increase Massive Eruption's damage. You should also never be attacking with Talonflame BREAK. The point of the deck is to spam Massive Eruption. If you can't, you should be Aero Blitzing until you can.
Well that works if you want something other than a pure Talonflame, the only thing is running all those Cyndaquil will reduce the chances of you getting a starting hand of Talonflame.

Have you played this deck before? You don't want to bother with any Pokemon other than Typhlosion. The only reason Talonflame is a good idea is because it gives you a meat shield to protect your Cyndaquil and Aero Blitz can help you set up quickly.

I played Typhlosion before Talonflame and won barely half of the time. Now if I start with Talonflame I'm winning almost 75%. And yes this is great for climbing the versus ladder you can easily play about 10 matches an hour.

Have you thought about Energy Recycler? Any that end up discarded will be fuel again, and if you keep increasing the ratio, it helps against some deck out a bit and increases the odds of pulling more energy with each Eruption.

Have you played this deck before? You don't want to bother with any Pokemon other than Typhlosion. The only reason Talonflame is a good idea is because it gives you a meat shield to protect your Cyndaquil and Aero Blitz can help you set up quickly.

I played Typhlosion before Talonflame and won barely half of the time. Now if I start with Talonflame I'm winning almost 75%. And yes this is great for climbing the versus ladder you can easily play about 10 matches an hour.

As you can see Talonflame is not something you just leave out after the setup PMJ, it can carry games. :D

Yes. By Aero Blitzing. I can concede possibly adding one or two Talonflame BREAK because you will already have an Energy attached and swinging for 150 can kill stuff and conserve your Energy, but Burning Energy is still a bad idea.

Yes. By Aero Blitzing. I can concede possibly adding one or two Talonflame BREAK because you will already have an Energy attached and swinging for 150 can kill stuff and conserve your Energy, but Burning Energy is still a bad idea.
Alright, remember to add in Fisherman then.

Energy Recycler is the play over Fisherman. Remember, you want them in the deck, not your hand.

Back