Ruling Tagging Greninja Break back and forth

spiritomb

Aspiring Trainer
If greninja break is active, uses its ability then is benched; the new active retreats on the same turn can it use the ability? What about if there's two greninja break? What if there's three? What if there's three but you try and switch between two of them repeatedly with multiple switches? How can there be proof of which greninja break already used an ability? How can they be legally traced?

What if you devolves greninja break and re-evolve with a broken time space? What if I devolve two greninja break and re-evolve then with the other's greninja break? What if you devolve a greninja break with a broken time-space out and you have no other cards on your hand?

What makes either paragraph different situations and why?

Where would I find such obscure rulings officially? The Pokémon compendium hasn't been updated this year that I could find.

XY9_EN_41.png

XY6_EN_91.png

Adding images for you, assuming these are the cards you're talking about. (Hope this works!)

You can use GWS once per Greninja per turn. You can use markers separate from damage markers to keep track of which Greninja has used GWS. Otherwise you'll just have to keep track yourself.

If you devolve and evolve again, you can use GWS again. The game treats it as a new Pokémon, even though it might physically be the same card.

What happens if you actually lose track of what Greninja break has been used?

What makes paragraph one different from paragraph two in the original post?

Last edited:
What happens if you actually lose track of what Greninja break has been used?
I'ts mandatory that you do. If you don't you might be penalized for not keeping up with the state of the game. It's your responsibility to keep track of that in one way or another.

What makes paragraph one different from paragraph two in the original post?
In the first paragraph all the Greninja are still in play and are traceable. In the second one, there's no way to make sure the same Greninja you "lifted" from the field is the one you're putting back down (even if there's already 3 in play; the game doesn't make those counts) and would recognize it as a new Pokémon.

How
I'ts mandatory that you do. If you don't you might be penalized for not keeping up with the state of the game. It's your responsibility to keep track of that in one way or another.

In the first paragraph all the Greninja are still in play and are traceable. In the second one, there's no way to make sure the same Greninja you "lifted" from the field is the one you're putting back down (even if there's already 3 in play; the game doesn't make those counts) and would recognize it as a new Pokémon.
How do I get penalized in a casual game. There's got to be a uniform rule for all similar gameplay and one source to find all answers. What would that source be? Thank you regardless.

How do I get penalized in a casual game
For casual, your friend might smack you with a Giant Water Shuriken in your head (?) In all seriousness, though, you'd have to go through the damage and see how many Shurikens were used, and when, and who used them to reinstate the game, since doing more Shurikens that you should wouldn't be fair for your friend.

There's got to be a uniform rule for all similar gameplay and one source to find all answers.
The Rulebook from Pokémon.com as well as the format guides and etc; all the documentation found in the site are the "go to" documents about general rules, as well as the Rules Compendium that rule on specific mechanics about the cards. However, keeping track of the state of the game it's a general thing that it comes without saying and is responsibility of both players, and if it comes to an irreparable state (such as forgetting the GWS used and no way to figure it out), the game would be finished with no winner; or the loser being whoever broke the game state.

In a tournament setting, a judge would assist the players in rewinding the game state to undo the extra Ability usages. Both of you would likely be issued a Caution for not keeping track of the game state. It's the responsibility of both players to make sure the game is played out accurately; you can find yourself penalized, even if the mistake is your opponent's fault.

If the error happened several turns ago, or if a Prize was taken because of an erroneous shuriken...I'm not really sure what would happen. Perhaps a prize penalty?

These guidelines would apply to casual play as well, but there's nothing from stopping you and your friend from agreeing on something else. Just remember to pay attention. Like I said, if you have trouble keeping track of which one has used its Ability, use separate markers and put them on your Greninja as each one uses its Ability, then clear them at the end of your turn. Then you'll have no problems.

Back