T-tar Spread?

Sleeping Snorlax

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think Tyranitar spread with an absol start would be decent in this format? Maybe even with a Mandibuzz/Reshiram Tech?

88-tyranitar.jpg
91-absol.jpg
113-reshiram.jpg
73-mandibuzz.jpg

I would run a pokemon line like this:
4 Absol Prime
4-2-4 Tyranitar Prime
2-2 Mandibuzz
2 Reshiram

Trainer line would include four candies with draw power that i liked with it. I would run 4 Tyranitar because a 3-2-3 can be screwed over if two t-tar primes are prized. So basically i would start with an absol to help the damage to go about. Get a t-tar hopefully turn two and start spreading 20 even more so. Mandibuzz would be there for sniping off threat before they got healed. I would run Max potions in here since darkness Howl only costs one energy. Please let me know what ya think.

One major problem is obviously Donphan, but an interesting spread deck nevertheless.

D.N.A said:
One major problem is obviously Donphan, but an interesting spread deck nevertheless.

sure sure, Donphan two shots t-tar, unless you add two plus powers, but t-tar can two shot a donphan with power claw. So it would even out kinda lol.

T-tar needs a donphan counter. Donphans are much more swarmable than t-tar. Most decks run serperior with t-tar and that works as their counter for the most part, but since you don't you should be looking for something. Also, spread t-tar decks normally run 1-2 Jirachi's as a late game tech to sweep once they all have damage everywhere, but with everyone going crazy about google' deck I'm not sure how well spread decks will run with their healing capabilities.

Well, in theory, I think t-tar can be a Donphan counter. Power claw can two shot donphan. And I'm not gonna run this at the first Battle Roads because I want to test my rogue deck out and see what I am up against.

Normally you wouldn't have more than one energy on T-tar though, as that's the tactic right? And that's what allows Max Potion to be so effective, among other things.

Absol is also weak to Donphan, and T-tat can't exactly retreat cheaply.

So.... This is basically a TyraniBuzz deck that uses a starter and has two Reshiram in it. This idea has been put through the mill many times. It fails because
A.) It's got bad matchups against most of the metagame.
B.) Catcher makes sniping less effective.

i tried somthing kinda like this and while absol is annoying it doesnt realy help set up at all so i didnt realy like it as a starter- but dark toolboxes are cool fun decks and the reshiram is a good idea to tech in- My friend runs t-tar and dragons and it works out great! I told him to add mandibuzz but he doesnt want to but i think it would make a great add--PeAcE!!!

Sleeping Snorlax said:
Well, in theory, I think t-tar can be a Donphan counter. Power claw can two shot donphan.

Two shotting a Pokemon that's faster, swarms better, and has Weakness against your main attacker isn't good enough. You HAVE to run a Donphan counter.

Let's look at it this way: Donphan is a Stage 1 that requires 1 energy to 2HKO t-tar. Tyranitar is a Stage 2 that requires 3 energy to 2HKO Donphan. I wonder who will win this? T-Tar's Darkness Howl is imo a terrible attack only to be used if you don't have enough energy to use his other attacks because 20 a turn is never going to kill anything. Oh, 5 turns to KO a Cincinno, Reuniclus or Zoroark, 6 to KO a Yanmega or Vileplume, and 7 to KO anything else meta. Yeah, and seeing as how you can't rely on firing that off until turn 3, you aren't going to be taking prizes nearly fast enough, considering every deck in the meta can 2HKO T-Tar. I'd say T-Tar just doesn't have much if any potential. Maybe you could try a Pachi-Shay engine to set up Megaton Tail turn 2? That's really all T-tar can try for in the current format.

Back