• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Sylveon GX Post Rotation (BreakThrough-Burning Shadows)

21times

Aspiring Trainer
This is my list right now, but I haven't tested it at all. I'm waiting until rotation to unleash this puppy.

I did manage to pull off stadium, red card, deli, torment spray in the one match I've played with it. I discarded a sycamore from my opponent's hand... and he promptly top decked another Sycamore.:(

Sylveon 4-4
3 Sycamore
4 Crushing
4 Puzzles
4 Acerola
2 Scoop Up
2 Guzma
2 Kukui
4 Chaos Tower
4 Delinquent
4 Red Card
2 Torment Spray
1 PCL
1 Field Blower
2 Flare Grunt
11 Fairy
2 DCE

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
Monsters: 8
4 Eevee
4 Sylveon GX

Trainers: 38
4 Team Flare Grunt
4 Crushing Hammer
4 Puzzle of Time
2 Team Rockets Handiwork
2 Guzma
2 Plumeria
1 Professor kukui
3 Max Potion
3 Delinquent
3 Red Card
3 Tormenting Spray
2 Field blower
1 Brock's Grit
1 Team Skull Grunt
2 Chaos Tower (waiting to see if post rotation there is better stadium combination to play)
2 Parallel City

Energy: 13
11 Fairy
2 DCE

Just noticed 21 times posted a deck too.. nice to show bit of variety in different strategies to go with. As he said will be better once rotation hits and can play against decks without worrying about vs seeker.

Last edited:

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
This is my deck list right now.

Pokemon: 8

4 Eevee
4 Sylveon GX

Trainers: 38

Items
4 Crushing Hammer
4 Puzzle of Time
2 Enhanced Hammer
2 Field Blower
4 Red Card
3 Tormenting Spray

Supporters
4 Team Flare Grunt
2 Team Rockets Handiwork
4 Delinquent
2 Plumeria
3 Guzma

Stadium
3 Parallel City
1 Chaos Tower

Energy: 14

11 Fairy Energy
3 Double Colorless Energy

I think our deck lists will always be a little different just because we prefer different things, but overall I think all 3 of us should have a pretty good amount success. I hope this helps.

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
Yea, I agree, differing play styles effect some cards and the quantity we will play but as long as we are all having good win-loss records.

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
Hopefully we will continue to play test and have a good win-loss record.

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
Tea just bummed IN regional is expanded, not sure first regional ill get to that will be standard...will probably play trevnant in expanded tournies. Do not feel like dealing with hex,silent lab and 8 Ns with quad sylveon in expanded lol

MrFixxiT

Aspiring Trainer
This is very exciting. I just started playing Pokémon tcg (online) due to my little boy. I did some competitive magic in the nineties (yeah, I'm old ;) )and dabbled a bit in hearthstone when it came out. I always liked the lock type decks, milling, combo etc. (prosperous bloom anyone? Or what about stasis? :D )

I did all the trainer challenges, got lucky with two gore in January breaks (one from chest and one from pack if I'm not mistaken) so started with that first with only two breaks as I didn't have any more. Even then (low ranking I guess) I could win a lot, but I want more variety and more decks to play (like sylveon gx) that are relatively budget friendly. So no Lele's and so on just yet.

I came across a video about a relatively budget friendly deck with sylveon GX and went on investigating for post rotation as I don't want to spend all my resources on cards that get rotated out soon. And here I am, with a couple of people discussing and posting deck lists. I have all cards needed to get going (missing only acerola), but started to play a game earlier with cards I had then, still not sure what to go with in what quantities, and how to play exactly. Need to find out my style and need to learn a lot more about other decks too. I featured a garbodor drampa deck that I was locking tight, going for the deck out, but at his/her final two cards, but he/she managed to get back some cards and get garb going for 240 damage. Knocking out all my sylveons. I thought I had it in the bag, but I was being played. I didn't pay enough attention to my item discards and maybe I should have gotten more aggressive earlier to win the prize battle. But I like the deck (and budget friendliness).

I will follow along here and later post what I am working with, but cannot play for a couple of days, so this will come later. Thanks for this interesting conversation.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hey FixxIT welcome to PTCG. Your story sounds like mine. My son had a Pokemon party about a year ago and now I'm addicted.

It's impressive that you're taking on Sylveon. It's a difficult deck to play. You have to decide when to disrupt and when to attack. You also have to rub the crystal ball and try to anticipate what cards will serve you best in your next turn. My personal opinion is that Sylveon is a BIG winner post rotation so I'm waiting until September to get it out again. But IMO it has a path to victory against every deck and can be a lot of fun to play (not so much for your opponents).

If you are looking for some other easy on the wallet decks I'd advise you to check out Discount Pokemon Decks on youtube. He hasn't posted anything recently but there are some good cheap decks there that will win you some games.
I also just saw a Weavile Garbodor deck on Dark Integral Gaming today that looks interesting.
Good luck hopefully I'll come across you on the ladder sometime.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
The consistency of this deck goes way down with adding additional basic pokemon. I would not add any more basics than the 4 eevee.

Plumeria is not the ideal primary option due to the cost you have stated. you really only want to play Plumeria once or twice a game, even discarding a plumeria as part of the cost of another Plumeria. Flare grunts and crushing hammers are the go to and most used. If they are loading up their bench that much where you are wanting to play Plumeria 3,4 or even 5 times then you might want to use a timely Plea GX attack to stall them.

The deck utilzies both hand disruption and energy denial. If they do N us like you mentioned that doesn't hurt us as we can ribbon again while they are using their resources as well as their supporter for the turn and 9/10 games we are gnna have 6 prizes and get to draw a hand of 6. When we red card/delinquent them we are getting rid of resources and are forced to use N or sycamore if they draw into or else they are in trouble. I have been N'ed 8 turns in a row before, no lie, in WI regionals this past June and still won the game. The point of the deck is to wear away their resources. The edge we have is utilizing puzzle of time, which is even bigger with VS seeker rotating, plus we pick any cards we want not just supporters or even trainers, but any 2 cards.

Also we could strand energy on pokemon so Plumeria is not as vital. The key is to rid of float stones with field blower, as we will win stadium war and should focus on field blower for tools. Also most players will play 3 guzma as this deck probably will, but again with puzzle of time we will be able to outlast guzma and ber able to strand a target in their active eventualy.

Not saying a recursion engine cannot work, I do not have any experience trying it out and for my playing strategy as well as construction of the deck, needing to keep basics to the 4 eevees, I believe that best use of space is used otherwise on hand disruption.
can you give me the breakdown on how you tend to play out the early game?
like what cards are you trying to pull out with magical ribbon? and do you wait until the opponent is stuck to attack?

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
can you give me the breakdown on how you tend to play out the early game?
like what cards are you trying to pull out with magical ribbon? and do you wait until the opponent is stuck to attack?
Due to different decks you face it will vary what you magical ribbon as well as what you already have in hand. Post rotation, if you have one piece of the 4 card combo id grab the remaining 3 to get your opponent into top deck mode off the bat. In general i try to get 1 energy denial and if i dont have a fairy energy in hand already i grab one as wellin additiin ro having a max potion. So if scenario arises wher ei need to heal i have a fiary energy to reload to magical ribbon. They key is u have to attack evrry turn. I usually oknky use fairy wind when they have depleted all resourcrs or there is a pokemon that is causing alot of trouble. Late game ill try to get team rockets handiwork to mill them out, even if they are nit real close to decking out you could get rid of a vital supporter that they no longer can vs seeker back. The thing is every game is bit sifferent, depensing on opponents field and what you have in hand. This is difficult deck to play becuaee you have to be able to think quickly to grab what you need in that specific scenario.

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Due to different decks you face it will vary what you magical ribbon as well as what you already have in hand. Post rotation, if you have one piece of the 4 card combo id grab the remaining 3 to get your opponent into top deck mode off the bat. In general i try to get 1 energy denial and if i dont have a fairy energy in hand already i grab one as wellin additiin ro having a max potion. So if scenario arises wher ei need to heal i have a fiary energy to reload to magical ribbon. They key is u have to attack evrry turn. I usually oknky use fairy wind when they have depleted all resourcrs or there is a pokemon that is causing alot of trouble. Late game ill try to get team rockets handiwork to mill them out, even if they are nit real close to decking out you could get rid of a vital supporter that they no longer can vs seeker back. The thing is every game is bit sifferent, depensing on opponents field and what you have in hand. This is difficult deck to play becuaee you have to be able to think quickly to grab what you need in that specific scenario.
Thank you, also what is the rule on stalling, because it seems like with this deck I will be thinking a lot more than other decks.
Is there a max amount of time you can take per turn?

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
Thank you, also what is the rule on stalling, because it seems like with this deck I will be thinking a lot more than other decks.
Is there a max amount of time you can take per turn?
Stalling is frowned upon. In WI regs a few rds we onky got 1 game done by time but partly due to my opponent N-ing 8 times and just dragging out the game. I never got called for time by my opponent bc there was no intentional stalling. If your opponent feels you are trying to stall time then they can call judge and then the judge will make the call.

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
You always want to go second in this deck, and if you can get Sylveon GX out using Eevee and a Fairy Energy you want to Magical Ribbon for the 4 card combo. This is assuming you have one piece which is very likely. Sometimes I even have 2 in which case I pull the last 2 pieces and a DCE. Then you just disrupt the rest of the game while attacking. It requires a lot of practice and knowledge of other decks to know what cards to use at what moments. I hope you have success with the deck.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
A couple of quick points:

I played Sylveon at NAIC and only once went to time in nine rounds.

I used to think that you always want to go second, but my thinking has changed and I go first now when I have the option. I don't think it's a big deal, but your opponent gets a turn to play prior to your magical ribboning whether you go first or second, and if you go second you're giving your opponent two turns to set up and possibly donk you. You'll never donk anyone going second, you might be able to donk someone if you go first.

But if you go second and have hammers in your opening hand, you actually get a chance to use them right off the bat. If you go first and have hammers in hand they are of no use to you.

Last edited:

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
This deck requires no set up, and can attack on your first turn. If you go second your opponent has 2 turns before you can play the 4 card combo. If you go first your opponent also has 2 turns before you can pull the 4 card combo. The difference between those is that your opponent can't attack on one of his turns when you go second unlike if you choose to go first. Also like you mentioned cards like Crushing Hammer and other Energy denial cards are useless on turn 1. I would strongly advise going second if you play this deck. I hope this helps.

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah I think you're right, previously a big part of why I was going first was to avoid the turn 1 Hex; now that turn 1 Hex isn't an issue, I agree, going second is now probably the better logic.

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
I agree, going 2nd is better. Partly bc if you strategize and plan to go 2nd close to 95% of time u will get to go 2nd either by ur choice or opponent choosing to go 1st. If u plan to go first then you will actually be going first half the time which isnt ideal. Also if ur opponent goes first they might have to N a bad hand, wasting an N before you even magical ribbon.

MrFixxiT

Aspiring Trainer
Hey FixxIT welcome to PTCG. Your story sounds like mine. My son had a Pokemon party about a year ago and now I'm addicted.

It's impressive that you're taking on Sylveon. It's a difficult deck to play. You have to decide when to disrupt and when to attack. You also have to rub the crystal ball and try to anticipate what cards will serve you best in your next turn. My personal opinion is that Sylveon is a BIG winner post rotation so I'm waiting until September to get it out again. But IMO it has a path to victory against every deck and can be a lot of fun to play (not so much for your opponents).

If you are looking for some other easy on the wallet decks I'd advise you to check out Discount Pokemon Decks on youtube. He hasn't posted anything recently but there are some good cheap decks there that will win you some games.
I also just saw a Weavile Garbodor deck on Dark Integral Gaming today that looks interesting.
Good luck hopefully I'll come across you on the ladder sometime.
Thank you for the welcome. I didn't think I would like this game as much as I do, but I'm a sucker for these kind of games...

Impressed huh? I know these decks are difficult to play, I know I need to learn a lot more about other decks that are played, I know I will make a lot of bad plays (but hopefully they will go down with experience), but I just really like these kind of decks, I like to have to think about what is going on, and I don't really like to just get an attacker and out to attack all the time, although sometimes if you want to go competitive and the meta is right, it might be best. At the moment I just want to have fun (and be able to win a lot at the same time)
And I have my greninja break that seem to hold its ground after rotation too, so I can mix it up.

I've been to Discount Pokémon Decks on YouTube and left some comments, but it is rather quiet there. I love a lot of his decks, but most revolve (as focal points) around cards that will rotate. And I don't want to spend my resources on those cards. So I really hope he will continue his series with decks after rotation.

I will have a look at weavile garbodor.