Sword & Shield TCG Set

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Very small detail but has anyone else noticed that on a few V cards it looks like some of the effects in the art are kinda embossed? It's most noticeable on Lapras V with the rainbow rays coming from behind it, but you can also kinda see it on Snorlax V and Wobbuffet V - maybe I'm just seeing things but perhaps this is a new type of texture only on certain V cards for some reason?

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
Frosmoth and the promo EiscueV would be cute in standard, you just need some stuff to bulk up eiscue and a method to keep putting energy cards back in your hand

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Frosmoth + Palkia-GX = the new Archie’s Blastoise

Yeah, until it discovers team up golduck.... 90 HP deluge could mean this deluge is going to be an unfortunate one-turn wonder after Swim, so its not as good as the original deluger, as golduck + powerful squall blastoise will feast on it once the water gets in play: What you attach in one turn is likely all the deluge you will ever get once the Swim knocks out Frosmoth to stop the deluge from really coming down...

So many returning promises in this set, but too few HP to make them any more than inferior compared to the original... Fun to play regardless, but I don't expect them to appear and be used in expanded...

xIIL3GENDx

Aspiring Trainer
Double Attack is Double Hit's Japanese name in the video games. It's also spelled "ダブルアタック" there since its inception in Diamond/Pearl.

I see. So you’re talking more about the translation for the English cards vs the literal translation of the card, itself.

I understand. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought you were saying the direct translation was Double Hit.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, until it discovers team up golduck.... 90 HP deluge could mean this deluge is going to be an unfortunate one-turn wonder after Swim, so its not as good as the original deluger, as golduck + powerful squall blastoise will feast on it once the water gets in play: What you attach in one turn is likely all the deluge you will ever get once the Swim knocks out Frosmoth to stop the deluge from really coming down...

So many returning promises in this set, but too few HP to make them any more than inferior compared to the original... Fun to play regardless, but I don't expect them to appear and be used in expanded...
Nice joke. Let’s just say that’s actually a problem, you just have another one down or use mew/sky pillar

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
In regards to Boltund's second attack, am I correct in assuming that Pokemon VMAX count as Pokemon V?
I do find that interesting too!
Also, I can't seem find a similarity between Galarian Pokemon - like no cost attacks for Alolan. Maybe they have abilities?
Yeah it's a shame there doesn't seem to be a strong thematic link for the regional variants this time around. I love when cards have a shared motif: Alolan Forms brought back 0 energy attacks, Ultra Beasts had Prize cards, each iteration of Baby Pokemon always has a gimmick, and the electric rodents sometimes provide support for Pokemon with Nuzzle.

Last edited:

TeamBellsprout

Aspiring Trainer
Frosmoth legit had me crying lol. Move over, NagQuag, FrosQuag is my new main deck! How're we gonna deal with not retrieving from the discard? The first thing that comes to mind is maybe play 1-1 or 2-2 Nag, but then I realize there's that new fishing rod card, so nevermind. I'll be playing it in there anyways. Welp, it's time to start building another decklist!

Mudkip_Is_God

Aspiring Trainer
Actually not too bad, though I had hoped for a new type, maybe a symbol for Bug or something like that. That Intelleon looks really cool.

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
I must say ....I love it how they go bold and vibrant colours for secret rares. And I also noticed text is so much less noticeable compared to the wall of text on GX cards.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Vital Band - 5 Geodudes
  • Bede - better than we don't have. 3-4
  • Professor Magnolia - 5 Geodudes
  • Marnie - weird version of Judge. 4 Geodudes
  • Lum Berry - Spec. Cond. Are rare. 3-4
  • Sitrus Berry - Fine. 3
  • Giant Charm - Fine. 3
  • Team Yell Grunt - 3-4
  • Rare Candy - Stage 2s are remain playable. 5
  • Air Balloon - Bewear is now nowhere near as good. 5 Geodudes
  • Hyper Potion - 4
  • Lucky Egg - 3-4
  • Rotom Bike - Good on like Florges decks. 3-4
  • Quick Ball/Evo Incense - 5/5
  • Cramorant V - Good for sniping Dedennes. 3-4

Last edited:

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Looks like the Pokemon full arts are still the same bland CGI art as ever, but now they have more than one background color again, so meh. Also "anxiously" on the edge of my seat to see what they do to improve/replace/insert into addition to rainbow rares.