Sword & Shield TCG Set

taigercub

Aspiring Trainer
Why Stonjourner VMAX labeled as Gigantamax? I don't remember Stonjourner got a GMax in the game
Maybe just Dynamax
not quite the card says ダイマックス(Daimakkusu) Dynamax not キョダイマックス (Kyodaimakkusu) Gigantimax
same apply for Morpeko

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
No one's gonna say a thing about having a common Stage 1 card with 190 HP?
It's a holo rare. Walilord has had 200 or more HP for a while now as Stage 1.
(we have a Gigantamax Snorlax with 340HP and an attack stronger than Mega Rayquaza's, and everything else's been buffed)
Snorlax's 210 for TAE isn't that impressive, when some regular holo rares can easily pull off 300+ damage (thanks Welder).

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
So the theory about lined up releases is dead, we're not getting V-Rising the same day as the number of released V pokemon is 17.

Matthew the Fairy Lover

The Lover of everything Fairy
Lol, I suspect 10 damage means absolutely nothing when your Pokemon has 300 health. It's already apparent with Mew&Mewtwo.
They could have just stopped powercreeping.

10 damage has more significance than you think. It doesn't matter how much health Pokemon have now a days. There will be some games where you are 10 damage short of knocking out a big threat on your opponent's field or heck to win the game. That has happened to me many times.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Still no FAIRY type Pokemon. Also no FAIRY type promo's... I know there FAIRY energy was among the new designed energies, but it is very strange that that there is no fairy Pokemon in the SWSH era yet. And no dragon type Pokemon so far... (but that is explainable, since dragon type Pokemon show up later in the game).

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Frosmoth is a mandatory 2-2 of in any water deck. Makes KarpLord a viable attacker again. About time they gave water pokemon some love again. Might use it with Lapras V/V-Max though.

Gengar with Wobuffet V and Giratina could be fun to play around with.

taigercub

Aspiring Trainer
2 fun combos i'm seeing are

Wobuffet V and Gengar
siphon all of your damage onto wobuffet then use step back to hit 210 for 2 energy and completely heal it up

Toarkoal V and Oranguru
switch a fire energy from your hand with the top card of your deck and hit 180 with a welder + attachment
(to be fair this one isn't great but its the only use I could come up with for the new oranguru)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
10 damage has more significance than you think. It doesn't matter how much health Pokemon have now a days. There will be some games where you are 10 damage short of knocking out a big threat on your opponent's field or heck to win the game. That has happened to me many times.
These are outliers - and they're not statistically important specifically because they're outliers. Objectively speaking, 10 damage on a 150 HP Pokemon is way more significant than 10 damage on a 300 HP Pokemon.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
The HP are rising, but attacks don't really increase. The basics/simple stage 1s doing 10 for 1 Energy, or 20-30 for 2-3 Energies are still too much and feel worse and worse with every generation, because these attacks are baiscally the same as 20 years ago, while HP have doubled to tripled.
Nobody will even use 3 Energies to do 50 damage, so no use of a 3-Energy attack on simple basics and you could just replace it by an ability.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Barely outliers, they are just incredibly common at the time. ADP needs a 10 damage tick to kill a Blacephalon and Ultra Necrozma GX, ReshiZekrom is just 10 short of OHKOing ADP, etc.
Even if 10 damage doesn't appear important at the end of the day, stuff like PlusPower, Choice Band, etc will be ran because they mean the difference between a game loss and a win a ton of times.

TheWicky

Random and evil: first one, then the other
Rare Candy deck using Zigzagoon and Obstagoon for chip damage. Yeah boyeeeeeeee

Johto King

A typhlosion fan
Toarkoal-V and this new Oranguru seem like they could be a very good combo. If you have a fire energy in your hand, Oranguru can put it at the top of your deck so Torkoal can discard it to deal 180. Same thing with Sabelye-V and the G-Zigzagoon line.
oh god my worst fears have been realized, morpeko ultra rares

That being said, I'm kinda loving the selection of Pokemon V here. Granted, they ARE all Basics, I know that's going to make some people unhappy (I don't really care much, I know they're going to branch out later on), but notably, they're picking some pretty strange choices for who's getting an Ultra. And you know what? I'm really liking that decision. Stuff like Torkoal, Cramorant, Dhelmise, etc... They'd never be getting an Ultra in the XY or early Sun and Moon days. It's very reminiscent of the ex era which did a lot of stuff like that. It's striking a really good balance between the popular ones and some of the more strange choices. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Besides Morpeko-V good god why would they do this this is a nightmare
To be fair, the early XY era did have a lot of weird choices. Scarmory, Emolga, and Seismetoad are all pretty odd choices to get EXes.

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
Well it seems a reoccurring trait of these VMAX cards will be trying to get energy on them as quick as possibles. VMAX Lapras with Frosmoth could be fun, as it's essentially brought back deluge.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Man, I hope everyone's league has a chill proxy rule or we're gonna be playing our full arts in our decks if any of the VMax cards become meta.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Final translation update:
-Galarian Stunfisk: Steel Trap > Snap Trap, its signature move in the games
-Qwilfish: Poison Barb > Poison Point, one of its abilities in the games; Venom Shock > Venoshock, a move it learns in the games

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Toarkoal-V and this new Oranguru seem like they could be a very good combo. If you have a fire energy in your hand, Oranguru can put it at the top of your deck so Torkoal can discard it to deal 180. Same thing with Sabelye-V and the G-Zigzagoon line.

To be fair, the early XY era did have a lot of weird choices. Scarmory, Emolga, and Seismetoad are all pretty odd choices to get EXes.
Oh totally, pretty much every era (BW aside up until Legendary Treasures given that it was Almost all legendaries, which I’m not knocking at all of course, Ive always said BW is my favorite TCG era) has its oddballs. It was a bit few and far between, of course, but it definitely started to ramp up little by little over time, in later Sun and Moon especially, and more so even now, I’d say.

Gible06

Aspiring Trainer
I like Aurora energy because in expanded we can have 3 all Type energy now (Prism, Rainbow, Aurora).