Sword & Shield TCG Set

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
That makes no sense. Just make a Poison Type
In a trading card game, it's not a great idea to have multiple types that are the same color. As the player (or viewer) is looking through the deck and at the board, the different cards and card types need to be easily distinguishable. It would really only make sense for them to add poison if they were to add all the other types, but that would be logistically problematic and would clutter the game.

Still, it is odd that they chose to give poison dark type, as its relationships with fighting, psychic, and fairy will be different from the video game now.

Last edited:

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
Why move Poison to Dark? Why not Ghost? Ghost seems to make more sense...
Agree on this, I even planned making my own Fake Set where Ghost is moved to Darkness.. . . Now Ghost n Psychic are identical (they could have atleast make Ghost resist to Colorless) while doing that they should have moved bug weakness to colorless.
They atleast could have make type that share energy to have some extent of different

I also just noticed that Dark lost their resistance
I would have been interesting if Rock was moved to Metal seing both Metal n Dark were introduced together

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Poison types are Dark types now? Makes perfect sense now on why Metal types have Grass Resistance again. I predict that in May's Sword and Shield set (March's Sword and Shield set in Japan), Fairy type Pokémon will lose their Dark Resistance. I can see Sableye, Spiritomb and Mimikyu getting a Weakness in this era of the Trading Card Game.

7master

Aspiring Trainer
card type | Pokémon type

grass -> grass, bug
fire -> fire
water -> water, ice
lightning -> lightning
psychic -> psychic, ghost, poison*
fighting -> rock, ground, fighting
darkness -> darkness, poison*
steel -> steel
fairy -> fairy
dragon -> dragon
colorless ->flying, normal

*the type poison was moved to darkness

Currently the card-type 'fighting' has three types of the Pokémon. Rock is also very similar to the metal. Therefore the type 'rock' should come in card-type 'steel'.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
If you wonder why Croagunk is weak to Fighting because Poison is weak to Ground.

Secondly, SWSH1 may only focused more on Pokémon that are in Galar dex, maybe in the next set, they'll include things like Zoroark and Skarmory.

I will guess that the Fairy in the set is the Zacian Hero of Many Battles form. Because accg to this site, they'll be a Zacian and Zamazenta card that may help their Vs

EonStjan16

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, if they don't want to add all types from the video games (which is understandable), they should at least add Ground type (which would also include Pokémon that are Rock types in the video games). I can get behind the other type conversions in the TCG, but having Ground and Rock type Pokémon be Fighting type makes absolutely NO sense.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Darkness does honestly fit Poison best of the existing TCG types, seeing as how Poison and Dark Pokemon are both the obligatory "bad guy fodder." Though I agree with others that Ghost makes even more sense with Dark, since they hit the same things for weakness and have some thematic overlap.

I get the feeling this was mostly done so Eternatus can have a cool black card. lol EDIT: Also just realized that, unless Dragon's weakness has changed, Eternatus cards will always be weak to either Fighting (Zamazenta) or Fairy (Zacian).

Last edited:

jo94

Gen 3 lover
I'm trying to think to all the poison pokemon that will have a cool kickass black card. GIMME THAT VMAX BLACK VILEPLUME ASAP!

zzzeraora

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, they seriously need to make Ghost types and Ground types. People usually say the colors would be too similar but that's coming from a normal person. They can just make them darker than Fighting and Psychic Pokemon. It's not that hard to realize that.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Okay.... this is silly. Unless it's something about the Japanese word for the poison type that I'm not understanding.

Grass made the most sense given poisonous plants and insects, Psychic at least they were purple, but this is just whack. Oh well, we'll get used to it I'm sure...

Edit: guess it was too much work to just make a new type, eh? If anything Rock/Ground should be priority for having a type of their own ("Earth?") away from Fighting.