Sword & Shield TCG Set

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
Gengar is back!
PTCI that ability better be good cause you just gave a stage 2 only 110 hp.

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
That Gengar's HP is pathetic... basics with 220 HP are great, but yeah let's put a trash ability on a Stage 2 with 110 HP. It's ironic that the Musharna below has more HP being a Stage 1... if Power Creep is that bad for the chase cards, why not make all Stage 2's have a minimum of 150 or so HP?

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
These new type decisions are not making sense to me. They want to change Poison to Darkness.... uh, okay, I guess I can roll with it, but then why is the promo Duraludon resistant to Grass? Other than Fairy resisting Darkness instead of Dragon (which was stupid and never should have been the case), and Lightning resisting Metal, TCG resistances are video game immunities. So Metal-type Duraludon should resist Darkness now if anything?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
On translations:

Qwilfish: Poison Barb > Poison Point, an ability that it has in the games. Venom Shock > Venoshock, the English name of a move it gets in the games.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
Why have they done Gengar like this?
FIRST LEVITATE AND NOW THIS!

Unless it fits some critical niche in the future (like Dusknoir), I'll never forgive PTCI for this.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
These new type decisions are not making sense to me. They want to change Poison to Darkness.... uh, okay, I guess I can roll with it, but then why is the promo Duraludon resistant to Grass? Other than Fairy resisting Darkness instead of Dragon (which was stupid and never should have been the case), and Lightning resisting Metal, TCG resistances are video game immunities. So Metal-type Duraludon should resist Darkness now if anything?

Because in TCG, Grass can be bug-type... In VG, first, Bug-type is strong vs. Dark- type, and second, Steel is resistant to Grass, but since Steel is NOT immune to Grass(but rather, poison, which was psychic before the change), maybe it is printed BEFORE the type change decision was made, and maybe they rushed to get it printed, and such mistake was made, one in which they may correct in expansions after SS1, but all in all, unless I'm reading it wrong, such decision was justified, but maybe a little confusing in process...

Last edited:

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I wasn't talking about weaknesses, I was talking about resistances. Metal should resist Darkness now to be consistent with Steel being immune to Poison in the games, like how it resisted Psychic from Gen 4-7 and Grass in Gen 3 when Poison was represented by those types as well. But instead, the two Metal cards from Gen 8 we've seen so far resist Grass, which doesn't fit with how they generally handle the VG->TCG type matchups.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
I wasn't talking about weaknesses, I was talking about resistances. Metal should resist Darkness now to be consistent with Steel being immune to Poison in the games, like how it resisted Psychic from Gen 4-7 and Grass in Gen 3 when Poison was represented by those types as well. But instead, the two Metal cards from Gen 8 we've seen so far resist Grass, which doesn't fit with how they generally handle the VG->TCG type matchups.

I realized your intention when I analyzed my own post. My deepest apologies, but I hope that my edit answers your question...

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl - same to Unfezant, its rare to be good. 2/3
  • Gastly/Haunter/Gengar - It should be all not just limited to P Pokemon kinda how Damage Swap works. 3/2/3-4 and the weakness will be similar to some P Pokémon now.
  • Musharna - ... 3 Geodudes
  • Hitmonlee - Hitmonchan must have the ability. 3 Geodudes

Scoop

Literally a sheep
oh god my worst fears have been realized, morpeko ultra rares

That being said, I'm kinda loving the selection of Pokemon V here. Granted, they ARE all Basics, I know that's going to make some people unhappy (I don't really care much, I know they're going to branch out later on), but notably, they're picking some pretty strange choices for who's getting an Ultra. And you know what? I'm really liking that decision. Stuff like Torkoal, Cramorant, Dhelmise, etc... They'd never be getting an Ultra in the XY or early Sun and Moon days. It's very reminiscent of the ex era which did a lot of stuff like that. It's striking a really good balance between the popular ones and some of the more strange choices. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Besides Morpeko-V good god why would they do this this is a nightmare

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
Safe to say boring GX full art style gone, These full arts are vibrant and colorful so yea reminds like a boosted version of EX textured full arts that I simply adore.

Incendium

Aspiring Trainer
Apart from the stuff already revealed, in in my opinion I think the stuff that may see some play is

balloon
cramorant V
sableye V
aurora energy

Other than that the art looks really cool but effects are a bit underwhelming especially after Cosmic Eclipse and all the good stuff in that set

Last edited:

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Dhelmise V and Sableye V make me very happy. Both are among my top 15 Pokemon. I quite like Stonjourner, too, (despite it's kinda dumb face) so I'm glad it got a VMAX. I wonder if Dynamax cards will be reserved for Gen 8 Pokemon that don't have a Gigantamax form.