Sun & Moon Starter Pokemon

TyXo22m

Aspiring Trainer
What do you expect them to be based off?

The fire starter has always been based off the asian zodiacs, so you have some indication of what it might be.
vdz6sh.jpg

I myself want to hope on a tiger, ox, or a snake, but I will expect any of the left over choices instead, with the biggest being the Rabbit or Sheep. Of course, I'd be delightly surprised for the cooler choices made.

If the zodiac theory turns out to be true, I'd be fine with any of the six, but I'd probably want a Fire Ox the most. Of course, if it's all just a coincidence, I'd be fine with anything.

It'd be cool if the Grass type were a half-plant, half-wolf thing, and if the Water type were some kind of anthropomorphic shark.

Caling Fennekin a dog is kind of a stretch but I'd really love a Fire Snake starter! :D

Caling Fennekin a dog is kind of a stretch but I'd really love a Fire Snake starter! :D
The biological family Canidae (kænᵻdi) is a lineage of carnivorans that includes domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and many other extant and extinct dog-like mammals.
At the very least we can say Fennekin is Dog-like.

Last edited:
Tiger's are some of my favourite animals, so let's have a flaming Tiger! Not sure it would fit the proposed Hawaii theme, but who cares? :D

I would welcome a Fire Snake Pokémon with draconian aspects to be a Red Herring to newcomers, just like Charmander did with our childhoods, which would become Fire/something else instead upon its' final stage. (Charizard officially becomes Fire/Flying. The Fire Snake should be Fire/Poison, in my opinion.) It would essentially be a Fire Type version of Dratini, with Seviper or Ekans-like influences mixed into its' design.

I would welcome a Fire Snake Pokémon with draconian aspects to be a Red Herring to newcomers, just like Charmander did with our childhoods, which would become Fire/something else instead upon its' final stage. (Charizard officially becomes Fire/Flying. The Fire Snake should be Fire/Poison, in my opinion.) It would essentially be a Fire Type version of Dratini, with Seviper or Ekans-like influences mixed into its' design.
How bout Fire/Fighting o_O

How about no. After we got 3 in a row in Gens 3-5 I think we could use a long rest from that type combination.

I can already imagine the outrage now, if that typing arrived, yet again. I would laugh so much. It would be the ultimate troll of GF just to spite us.

I already said it in another thread, but I really want them to complete other starter trios with these. I want a Bird Grass starter to go with Torchic and Piplup, a turtle Fire starter to go with Turtwig and Squirtle and a semi-Dragon Water starter that becomes part Dragon via Mega Evolution, ala Charmander and Treecko.

If the Zodiac circle is coming back, I would love to see a Fire Tiger with claws that can burn you with scratching you... [Some people have nails if you scratch someone it burns a lot more then other people.. sharper nails or just fire nails ^^ :p. ] But a Rabbit would also be cool, but I am afraid it will end as a Fire/Fighting type then... but as a Tiger it can be Fire/Dark or if it is a Rabbit it can be Fire/Ghost...

For the Grass Starter I hope for a Elephant so it will become a Bulky Elephant as his last stage! But then it will get the Grass/Ground type like Torterra... I hope more for new unique typings for the Starters... so maybe Grass/Steel :)

And for the Water starter I hope a Narwhal, but then more a fusion with a Seal and then Water/Fairy :D

Recently they're going with (Bulky, Cool, and Elegant) type for the starters, namely from Gen 5 and Gen 6.

Gen 5 is bulky Emboar, cool Samurott, and elegant Serperior.

Gen 6 is bulky Chesnaught, cool Greninja, and elegant Delphox.

So for Gen 7 i wish for:
- Maybe a cool Fire starter this time, going by the zodiac, yeah i guess Tiger or Snake would be cool
- An elegant Water starter, well so far we haven't got an elegant Water starter, Empoleon is likely the closest.
- The choice left is for another bulky Grass type i guess. I don't mind if it's switched with Fire though, so that we have a cool Grass type this time.

How about no. After we got 3 in a row in Gens 3-5 I think we could use a long rest from that type combination.

But a Rabbit would also be cool, but I am afraid it will end as a Fire/Fighting type then...
There's a part of me that kinda wants to get another Fire/Fighting starter, just to see the torrent of upset.
But then the sane half of me returns, and realizes that such an event would be undesirable.

I want a tiger, a shame that fire may be a bad choice for a starter considering the region appears to be tropical (and thus, water types abound)

Let's see.

Gen I = reptile, reptile, reptile
Gen II = reptile, mammal, reptile
Gen III = reptile, bird, amphibian
Gen IV = reptile, mammal, bird
Gen V = reptile, mammal, mammal
Gen VI = mammal, mammal, amphibian
Gen VII = ???

The grass starters tend to be based off of reptiles because it's probably easier to create a design that mixes reptilian and plant traits that way. Fire starters are mostly mammals, though I feel it's the easiest to make. Fir mixes with most things. Water starters are a mixed bag though.

We have never gotten a starter based on an invertebrate, but starters need to hit it off with the kids, so I don't see that happening. I don't see fish being a thing either. A starter imo needs to be able to travel on land seeing as they are prominent in the show.

We have never gotten a grass starter based off of a bird. And that could be really neat, same with a grass amphibian. Fire has never been an amphibian, but because we got froakie last year, I'm not sure I see it happening. There are just not enough friendly amphibians to choose from. Water could be anything honestly.

Since there's a lot of speculation that the next region is going to be based on Hawaii, a tropical themed starter trio would definitely make sense. I agree with Nunn that there should definitely be a bird-based Grass starter. A Grass/Flying bird with floral plumage that evolves into a peacock would be very cool. For the Fire type, it would be awesome for it to be based off a slow loris. Fire/Poison is a very interesting type combo we've never had before, either. Slow lorises produce a toxic saliva, so that would make sense. For the Water type, we've never had a manatee before, either. Water/Fairy with a mermaid-like design would be adorable. It's a super powerful and rare typing, and the starter could have a great Special Attack to set it apart from Azumarill.

Last edited:
Considering the apparent tropical theme, I'd love a Grass/Flying starter, perhaps based around a parrot etc, green, white and yellow in colour. I'm guessing the fire starter will again fit into the zodiac and, out of the six left, I think a fire Ox could be the best option. Maybe, for the water type, some kind of Iguana/lizard/reptile like creature would offer a change from the styles we've had recently

I think GameFreak will take into consideration what the fans want. They did that with Delphox's typing because of the outrage that was the tiring Fire/Fighting typing of three consecutive Fire starters.

Just like the previous starters, the next batch of starters will probably have a real-life inspiration behind their conception. This time I see them drawing influence from Hawaiian culture-- which I'm totally digging, tbh.

Grass Starters
The Grass starters will be inspired by the flora + hulu dancers of Polynesia. Much like Bellossom, tbh. Its typing will be: Grass >> Grass/Fairy >> Grass/Fairy

Fire Starters
The Fire starters will be inspired by the animals that live in forests that are near the volcanoes. I think they will be inspired by a quadrupedal animal. A bobcat maybe? Or a rabbit? Its typing will be a pure Fire type throughout its evolution line.

Water Starters
They can be anything. But I'm leaning towards something that can live in land as well (for the convenience of Ash's adventure lol). Since Oshawott already happened, I don't see them using sea otter as an inspiration. I think they will be inspired by the swimming feral pigs. Lol. Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mming_pigs.jpg

Its typing will be Water >> Water/Fighting >> Water/Fighting

Now while I'm at it, I'll discuss the token Pokemon of the next generation:

The token early Normal-type Pokemon of this generation will be inspired by the Hawaiian mongoose. The body is slender and the head is elongated with a pointed snout. These mongoose mostly eat insects but are opportunistic feeders and will eat crabs, frogs, spiders, scorpions, snakes, small mammals, and birds and bird eggs.

The Bug type of this generation will be inspired by the carnivorous caterpillars of Hawaii that live close by the volcanoes.

The early Flying type (I think the one that was shown in the Nintendo Direct) is inspired by the Hawaiian Red Crested Cardinal!

God I hope it's a rabbit, tiger or sheep. Someone should make fakemon based off these ideas. As for this gen im voting rabbit.

Back