News Summer 2017 'Island Guardians' Tins!

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I much prefer the Set Koko, but I love the art on Bulu, it's definitely gonna be an awesome addition to Lurantiplume

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
I like the Koko art, not as much as the set art, but it is still cool, with the sun behind it, it looks majestic, I guess. Bulu will be a nice tool for Grass decks, and the tin art for Bulu (and the card as well) is spot-on.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
I like the colors of these tins the green and yellow remind me of old Sprite ads :)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Am I the only one who says these GX attacks in the same voice as Ness' PK attacks? :x

TAPU STARSTOOOOOOOOOORM \o/

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Never is too late for a Land's Judgement reappearance. Sadly, this time it will not be meta.

Oh, hey, thanks for remind me of that old card. Shame Bulu doesn't have the support like Fighting...Or hammerhead, really. That would have been nice.

I still think Bulu may be okay in decks using Lurantis-GX but how good it'll be, I don't really know yet.

asdjklghty

-------------
Oh, hey, thanks for remind me of that old card. Shame Bulu doesn't have the support like Fighting...Or hammerhead, really. That would have been nice.

I still think Bulu may be okay in decks using Lurantis-GX but how good it'll be, I don't really know yet.
Grass is already so strong now with what feels like 95% of decks having a weakness to Grass. Really wish the card makers would vary the weakness on Fighting and Water types instead of automatically making them all weak to grass.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Never is too late for a Land's Judgement reappearance. Sadly, this time it will not be meta.

Landorus-EX is 80 + 70...
Tapu Bulu-GX is 120 + 60...

Bulu's attack has 40 more base damage, and 30 more overall.
Bulu's can be set up by Lurantis, and you don't need to expend your energy to 2HKO nearly every mon.
So... wouldn't Bulu's Judgement be the better attack?

and in terms of stats, he has the same HP, no weakness, and a built-in heal...

I feel like I've got to be missing something here.

Vulpixy

Just your friendly neighborhood Vulpix
I feel like that Tapu Koko artwork is ready for more than a battle...

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Landorus-EX is 80 + 70...
Tapu Bulu-GX is 120 + 60...

Bulu's attack has 40 more base damage, and 30 more overall.
Bulu's can be set up by Lurantis, and you don't need to expend your energy to 2HKO nearly every mon.
So... wouldn't Bulu's Judgement be the better attack?

and in terms of stats, he has the same HP, no weakness, and a built-in heal...

I feel like I've got to be missing something here.

Lando existed in a time where fighting support was bigger than it ever was. Strong energy, fighting stadium, etc. Muscle band and laserbank was also around during that time. If you played your cards right he wouldn't even need the discard(Though most people used him in for hammerhead, Land's Judgement was decently used in decks like Lando/Lucario and whatnot). Bulu may have more base damage but landorus had better support, and because of said support he was made into an absolute monster(Strong energy plus hammerhead was ridiculous), even after he was already good, so really its more of a question of support and what format they played in(i.e., HP capped at 180 compared to something like wailord or Decidueye having upward of 240-250)

Not denying bulu isn't good though-It's a pretty good card indeed. It's got a lot going for it. Probably won't be a top tier threat though.

Last edited:

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Lando existed in a time where fighting support was bigger than it ever was. Strong energy, fighting stadium, etc. Muscle band and laserbank was also around during that time. If you played your cards right he wouldn't even need the discard(Though most people used him in for hammerhead, Land's Judgement was decently used in decks like Lando/Lucario and whatnot). Bulu may have more base damage but landorus had better support, and because of said support he was made into an absolute monster(Strong energy plus hammerhead was ridiculous), even after he was already good, so really its more of a question of support and what format they played in(i.e., HP capped at 180 compared to something like wailord or Decidueye having upward of 240-250)

Not denying bulu isn't good though-It's a pretty good card indeed. It's got a lot going for it. Probably won't be a top tier threat though.

Makes sense!~
The thing I was missing was: I didn't see that Hammerhead hit both the bench, and the active!
I wasn't playing competitive when that card was standard, and when I looked it up, I thought it just said deal 30 to the bench.
My mistake for overlooking that.

I was primarily comparing the 2 judgement attacks, though I feel Hammerhead is the more relevant attack on Landorus~

Honestly, this makes me feel like the two Pokemon shouldn't be compared, as they play rather differently~
Landorus will spread a lot of damage early, where as Bulu can sustain a lot more damage, and OHKO/2HKO things pretty reliably.

Landorus' support was all damage, where as Bulu has support like: Aether Paradise, and Max Potion to stay healthy after a Judgement.

I do feel like Bulu will be a good mon, as Grass weakness is relevant, and his Judgement can be renewed with Lurantis.
It sounds really good on paper, but I'll definitely do some testing before I declare him to be viable~

I feel like your comment on the HP cap is also very relevant.
GX Pokemon are SUPER bulky.
The Hp increase from evolving into a GX is a bit absurd at times (ex. Dartrix going from 80 to 240HP).
But, this is why I feel like Bulu is better suited for this meta than Landorus, as his attacks hit very hard, and his GX attack allows him to avoid a revenge kill~

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Makes sense!~
The thing I was missing was: I didn't see that Hammerhead hit both the bench, and the active!
I wasn't playing competitive when that card was standard, and when I looked it up, I thought it just said deal 30 to the bench.
My mistake for overlooking that.

I was primarily comparing the 2 judgement attacks, though I feel Hammerhead is the more relevant attack on Landorus~

Honestly, this makes me feel like the two Pokemon shouldn't be compared, as they play rather differently~
Landorus will spread a lot of damage early, where as Bulu can sustain a lot more damage, and OHKO/2HKO things pretty reliably.

Landorus' support was all damage, where as Bulu has support like: Aether Paradise, and Max Potion to stay healthy after a Judgement.

I do feel like Bulu will be a good mon, as Grass weakness is relevant, and his Judgement can be renewed with Lurantis.
It sounds really good on paper, but I'll definitely do some testing before I declare him to be viable~

I feel like your comment on the HP cap is also very relevant.
GX Pokemon are SUPER bulky.
The Hp increase from evolving into a GX is a bit absurd at times (ex. Dartrix going from 80 to 240HP).
But, this is why I feel like Bulu is better suited for this meta than Landorus, as his attacks hit very hard, and his GX attack allows him to avoid a revenge kill~

Well, yeah, landorus wouldn't likely be the very best in this format, even with strong energy still existing. In legacy and during the 2014 standard, he was definitely one of the best cards out there.

You make a good point about support as well, and though somewhat similar as cards they're definitely suited for different things. Though that support is also what, in my eyes made landorus top tier while bulu isn't going to lead any decks, but I do want to try him out with Lurantis. It seems fun.

MechanicalMarine

Princess Peach
Liking Bulu, but maybe a Tapu Lele tin?
TPCi never really makes Tins/Boxes of cards that are worth a significant amount of money, and I doubt they ever will. It makes people want to keep buying packs from them so they can profit from sales of boxes and packs. Making a Lele box would drastically up the supply, so the Supply/Demand ratio would be changed quite a lot. Knowing this, people would go after the boxes instead of buying packs to get Tapu Lele-GX's and would hurt TPCi sales a bit. Not sure exactly how much, but it would be bad marketing. If good cards were in boxes, people wouldn't care about packs. Sure it may seem cool to go to a WalFart or a Target or whatever store you buy cards from and pick up a Tapu Lele-GX and 4 packs for $20, but TPCi needs to make money. That's why they make chase cards like Tapu Lele-GX, like Shaymin-EX, like Hyper/Secret Rares etc. It keeps the people buying and that's what businesses, distributors, stores and the like aim to do.

tl;dr - no dont do that capitalism and general marketing says thats a bad idea

edit: I hope this made at least a bit of sense. I'm no marketing expert, so if anything I said is wrong, anyone who knows more about the topic has every right to correct me.

Last edited:

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
TPCi never really makes Tins/Boxes of cards that are worth a significant amount of money, and I doubt they ever will. It makes people want to keep buying packs from them so they can profit from sales of boxes and packs. Making a Lele box would drastically up the supply, so the Supply/Demand ratio would be changed quite a lot. Knowing this, people would go after the boxes instead of buying packs to get Tapu Lele-GX's and would hurt TPCi sales a bit. Not sure exactly how much, but it would be bad marketing. If good cards were in boxes, people wouldn't care about packs. Sure it may seem cool to go to a WalFart or a Target or whatever store you buy cards from and pick up a Tapu Lele-GX and 4 packs for $20, but TPCi needs to make money. That's why they make chase cards like Tapu Lele-GX, like Shaymin-EX, like Hyper/Secret Rares etc. It keeps the people buying and that's what businesses, distributors, stores and the like aim to do.

tl;dr - no dont do that capitalism and general marketing says thats a bad idea

edit: I hope this made at least a bit of sense. I'm no marketing expert, so if anything I said is wrong, anyone who knows more about the topic has every right to correct me.

Yes, what you said does make sense; and is true for the most part~

They have, however, been printing more viable cards in tins/collections as of late.
Though, it's usually after they've been in the market for a while~

As examples, they have made tins for: Hoopa-EX, Yveltal-EX, Solgaleo-GX, Darkrai-EX, as well as a collection featuring both Jolteon-EX and M Manectric-EX.
These are all cards that can, and have, seen use in decks~

This is probably used as a way to get money from the people who wanted the card, but couldn't afford to buy boxes to get the card from the set.
A lot of the time, this also includes alternative artwork for the cards as well; netting even more money from collectors!

Pokemon knows how to make money, that's for sure!
So, it is possible to see a Lele product in the future... though, it could be very far down the line~