States Predictions

RobertBenjamin said:
ECC top 32 has a lot of eel variants and CMT.

so expect a lot of those in the upcoming states

zekrom mewtwo eel deck went 8-0

What was the Top 8?

alexmf2 said:
What was the Top 8?

ranked 1 to 8 decks in the top 32 are
3 eel variants
1 tyram
4 to be disclosed

im beginning to suspect reshiboar ex is more of a stateside movement. i had someone from one of the european teams ask me my list the night before ecc. he was playtesting heavily in ptgco. he was surprised by the use of ssu in the deck. he was using a zek eel deck. i dont think he had the time to test my list though.

Yeah, I played in a tournament today. It was just a league tournament, but the first place prize was a 700 dollar exclusive model 3DS and there was 15 dollar entry fee, so everybody brought their A-game. The top four was (3rd and 4th played off):

1) David C with Eelektrik/Zekrom/Zekrom-EX/Mewtwo-EX/Zapdos/Tornadus
2) Charlie N with Mew/Vileplume/Terrakion/Shaymin-EX/Yanmega/other stuff
3) Me with Celebi/Tornadus/Mewtwo-EX/Shaymin-EX/Terrakion/Regigigas-EX/Virizion
4) Michael C with Magnezone/Eelektrik/Zekrom/Zekrom-EX/Mewtwo-EX (swiss X-0)
5) It's worthy of note that Grant bubbled cut at 4-1 with Durant, his loss being to me donking him first round.

Eel decks are definitely on top atm. I would have played that if I had the cards for it. Below Eels, there's a lot of decks that are viable.

God Celebi, your league can give away stuff like that for winning? I wish my league has cool stuff (and there's no more free pizza since Kevin left D:).

I'm happy more players are seeing how good Zapdos is in Eel-based decks, since it's extremely effective.

ok ECC done.

CMT won it !

if anyone is interested in the decks used this is from roxu of pokegym:

Top16
1-16 Stian Nilsson (Zekrom/Mewtwo/Eelektrik) vs
2-15 Tom Hall (Zekrom/Eels)vs Esa Juntunen (CMT)
3-14 Alessandro Cremascoli (CMT) vs Tord Reklev (Zone/eels)
4-13 gunter (Durant)vs mees(mewbox)
5-12Fin Looft(Zone/Eels) vs David Booij(CMT)
6-11 paplo (Zekrom/eel/mew2))vs george(zone/eels)
7-10 Robin Schulz(Zebstrika/Zekrom/Reshiram EX/Shaymin EX/Eelektrik) vs Benjamin Behrens(zekrom/eels)
8-9 Jouni lehtinen(Zekrom/eel) vs Matteo Laici(CMT)

Top8
1-8 Stian Nilsson(Zekrom/eels/mew2) vs Jouni lehtinen(Zekrom/eel)
2-7 Tom Hall (Zekrom/eels)vs Benjamin Behrens(Zekrom/eels)
3-6 Paplo(Zekrom/eels/mew2) vs Tord Reklev(Zone/eels)
4-5 David Booij(CMT) vs Mees Brenninkmeijer(Mewbox)

top4
1-4 Jouni Lehtinen (Zekrom-Eel) vs David Booij (CMT)
2-3 Benjamin Behrens (Zekrom-Eel) vs Tord Reklev (Magneel)

this is from the google's twitter:

top2
David Booij (CMT) vs Benjamin Behrens (Zekrom-Eel)

winner: David Booij (CMT)

The above was copy/pasted from Pokegym.
Paplo=Pablo Meza.
The lack of REV and abundance of Zebstrika is surprising.

Also, full winners
Juniors: MTC
Seniors: Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo/Zapdos
Masters: (above as you know.)

MTC with catcher in hand has the capacity of donking all those tynamos.

good for all those peopel with a lot of Celebi Primes, that card just rose in value again.

alas the CMT win also means that Mewtwo EX value will still remain high.

blargh257 said:
The lack of REV and abundance of Zebstrika is surprising.

Not really. Hardly any people know the right way to actually pilot Reshiboar, and I doubt many people played it anyways. I never expected Zebstrika to be good. It's too easily KO'd, trainer lock can only go so far when paired with only a 40 damage attack.

^Maybe it's just bad. :p

And he meant that there was a lot of Zebstrika, not a little. I'm not surprised by one T16 by it. 40 T2 plus trainer lock wrecks Tynamos. It's still a Tier 2 deck though imo, even though it has decent potential.

I'm also looking quite forward to how the truth with ex's does, and possibly gothitelle gardevoir.

Happy to see mewbox get ino top eight.

alexmf2 said:
Not really. Hardly any people know the right way to actually pilot Reshiboar, and I doubt many people played it anyways. I never expected Zebstrika to be good. It's too easily KO'd, trainer lock can only go so far when paired with only a 40 damage attack.

Im now convinced Reshiboar Ex was only taken seriously by a handful of players here in North America. Kudos to all those innovators who have the guts to pilot it and playtest it. Now if we can get more players to play it... (which i doubt now with all the netdecking going on you'll see a lot of eel and cmt decks in states)

Celebi23 said:
^Maybe it's just bad. :p

And he meant that there was a lot of Zebstrika, not a little. I'm not surprised by one T16 by it. 40 T2 plus trainer lock wrecks Tynamos. It's still a Tier 2 deck though imo, even though it has decent potential.

heh you playtested against alexmf2 didnt ya and it went 2-2? Reshiboar EX goes toe to toe with any of those decks that made top cut in ECC. My playtesting also confirms it.

Yeah, I've also playtested 30 games before that. 30 >>> 4. In my testing, it's 30-70 vs Celebi Mewtwo, 40-60 ZekEel, and 30-70 Magneel. That's a really rough trio to be unfavorable against. Plus the two people playing it at the tournament I played in yesterday went 2-3 and 3-2, both missing cut.

Celebi23 said:
Yeah, I've also playtested 30 games before that. 30 >>> 4. In my testing, it's 30-70 vs Celebi Mewtwo, 40-60 ZekEel, and 30-70 Magneel. That's a really rough trio to be unfavorable against. Plus the two people playing it at the tournament I played in yesterday went 2-3 and 3-2, both missing cut.

As I said before, ReshiBoar is very hard to pilot and you need a very good list to do very well, and a lot of testing to get used to it. What was the list you played against? And what were the rough lists of the people playing at your tournament yesterday (ex. Reshiram or Reshiram EX based, SSU, etc.)?

Also, will you be able to do more games in about 2-3 hours? So far the testing has gone exactly as I said it was, mostly even.

They were Reshiram-EX based with Mewtwo-EX in there as well. I never saw a regular Reshiram from either of them. I'm pretty sure they had SSU, but I didn't pay enough attention to know for sure.

I'm not giving away the list I played against. It's not mine, so I won't give it away.

I have to do the following today:
-Write two essay drafts.
-Do corrections for another essay.
-Research the effects of imperialism in Africa.
-Do 47 trig problems.
-Make and dry a paper mache mask for Spanish.
-Read and summarize a chapter of a book.

Probably not in a few hours, but we'll see.

2-3, 3-2 most likely means they got the list wrong. you really need to think outside the box to get it right. there are cards you think you need but you really dont need. there are cards that are really important for consistency. get the wrong proportions wrong its going to be ugly. if you're 30-70, 40 -60, 30-70 against those decks then you got the list horribly wrong.

well i think this is going to be my last post about this matter.

with the numbers game going it is undeniable that eel decks and CMT will top states. this will be your mainstream decks too. reshiboar ex i think will be relegated to rogue deck status in the meta.

Yesterday, I was testing my deck at a for fun tournament and these were the main decks I saw:
Durant-3
Reshi variants- 3-4+ (1-2 Reshiboar 3-4 Tyram)
Magneboar-1-2
Cake Variants-2-3
Eel Variants- 3-5+
Chandelure-1-2
Other- 2+
I probably didn't include all the decks I saw, so I put a range and + to say there were probably more I didn't see, but overall it looked like Tyram, Eel Variants, and Durant will be most common. Most of the players there were good, and go to many tournaments. Somehow, I didn't see one MTC, and barely any Mewtwos (other than a jumbo one ha ha) However, Eels did the best, and somehow Chandelure did well. (The prizes were store credits not packs, and because of a Tyram and bad resistance, I missed top 8 by one place, and 8th got 24 bucks ): ) Anyways, the results show that:
a. Eels will be the top decks at states most likely
b. MTC may not be as common as we had thought due to the cost of Mewtwos
c. Durant will be common, as well as Tyram, but Tyram will cancel out durant, cause not one durant did good in the tournament.
My opinions, don't start raging me.

^Eels needs just as many Mewtwos as CTM does. Maybe the people in your area just hadn't gotten their Mewtwos yet? Regardless, the top players with the most devotion to the game will get Mewtwos. The reason the price is so high is because people buy it at the price it's at.

Edit- Also, I've got to say. There's usually a reason rogue decks are rogue. It's because they're not as good as the meta decks.

Back