Standard Format Rotating in April, Pokemon Tool Errata Announced!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has announced all “D” cards will rotate out of the Standard format on April 14th, 2023.
For digital play on Pokemon TCG Live, the Standard format rotation will go into effect on March 30th, 2023. This will give players an official platform to test out the new Standard format before participating in any in-person events.
The Expanded format will remain unchanged. It will continue to be Black & White-on, excluding a few banned cards.
The Pokemon Tool errata announced in Japan has also been announced for the English TCG. When the Scarlet & Violet expansion becomes legal for play, all new and existing Pokemon Tool cards will no longer be considered Item cards. They will now simply be their own “Tool” subcategory. This means a Trainer card now has four subcategories: Items (blue), Supporters (orange), Stadiums (green), and Tools (purple)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Interestingly, they have not mentioned Pokémon TCG Online in this article. Will it be shut down when Scarlet & Violet releases?
That's probably the plan, but given the state Live is on now (one of the most unplayable games I've ever seen in my life), I wouldn't bet on them meeting that target. The team needs to be tripled in size at least, so I can see it taking until Gen 10 to launch at this point (since I don't think TPCi will be willing to admit that they need to increase the budget until 2024).

Interestingly, they have not mentioned Pokémon TCG Online in this article. Will it be shut down when Scarlet & Violet releases?
Depending on how long Playoffs go to the Team Challenge, TCGO won't be going anywhere unless they force its participants to move to TCGL.

Depending on how long Playoffs go to the Team Challenge, TCGO won't be going anywhere unless they force its participants to move to TCGL.
The Team Challenge argument is and has always been cope. The TC is on PTCGO because Live is in beta, not the other way around.

You'd think, but beta's been such a disaster that they might need more time.
It's really unfortunate. They were on a decent pace with improving their process and getting the app working better, and then they FUBAR'd it and now it feels like a pre-alpha again. Can't even say "at least it's better than SV" because that game is at least functional.

ok, so, you start Miraidon ex, get another midaidon ex and another good basic electric, then get two more with the new miriadon ex. So now your bench is basically full, and you can spam the new electricity energy item so everything is powered up. You can even get Reiliekei vmax, though thats probably not be necessary. The smaller Regielekis are also incredibly good.

These basic-only decks will obliterate normal, evolving EX decks; thats my predicition right now. This format will be super fast.

Last edited:
ARE THERE NO FULL ARTS IN THIS SET CUZ 192/198 IS WHAT! ARE FULL ARTS SECRET RARES LIKE IN JAPAN!?
Not sure how this hasn't been mentioned. This looks exactly like what has happened. Maybe we'll also get guaranteed pull rates for SR's just like Japan (2-3 per box?). On a side note, I hope they ditch Rainbow Rare Secrets (at least for the Trainer's if not both Trainer's and Pokemon).

It's really unfortunate. They were on a decent pace with improving their process and getting the app working better, and then they FUBAR'd it and now it feels like a pre-alpha again. Can't even say "at least it's better than SV" because that game is at least functional.
seems they did the same thing as PTCGO with improving something, but breaking something in the past.
They fixed the memory wipe fix before the weekend, but right now, the hot topic seems to be the Fusion Energy Softlock, making the ladder unplayable.
Welp, they can just hit every target as it comes by, judging the speed of their fixes, the launch day is not that farfetched. After all, PTCGO's Forest Seal is still not working as intended. They prioritize that fix, and introduced new problems, and that to me says progress.

They need to increase pull rates because causal retention is falling off. English pull rates where already lower than Japanese sets, and when we had sets where half of the set was V/alt/secret and full arts the cracks really showed. Even casual collectors knew to avoid Evolving Skies.

I stopped buying boxes because the pull rates got so bad. If they're changing things to be closer to the Japanese sets, pull rates better be one of them.

Not sure how this hasn't been mentioned. This looks exactly like what has happened. Maybe we'll also get guaranteed pull rates for SR's just like Japan (2-3 per box?). On a side note, I hope they ditch Rainbow Rare Secrets (at least for the Trainer's if not both Trainer's and Pokemon).
This has been mentioned ever since they revealed Professor Turo as #190.

who knows. Probably it will have public takeoff (no more beta) quite close when SV1 comes into market. However, Team Challenge schedule may be affected. And a lot of issues needs to be fixed before.

Back