Speed Darkrai vs Hydreigon

ahg3117

Aspiring Trainer
Which one is a better play for larger tournaments and against the meta game such as blastoise, rayeels, etc? Also, which performs better in mirror matches?

The both perform the same in mirror matches :thumbsup: I feel that Hydreigon is slowly slipping out from the top because of Blastoise/Keldeo and Klinklang/Cobalion. I believe that Speed Darkrai, when teched correctly for each tournament that you go to should be a very solid play. It can play Terrakion, Landorus EX, virtually any Basic :)

the only thing I think makes hydreigon trump speed is that it has a solid attacker in hydreigon that can OHKO a klinklang

Giratina is a killer card though, its good in so many matchups. Only problem being that you run 4 blends and Giratina uses 2 at a time. I think the format has gotten to fast for Hydreigon. Most of its matchups are flat out bad. Things like Garbodor, Klingklang and Hypnotoxic laser really hurt it. Having max potion helps but the format is too centered around 1HKOs, Locks, and Poison. If it had better energy acceleration then the mediocre dark patch engine it has in it, it would be better. (Not saying Dark Patch isn't good because it is, its just not nearly as fast as it is in Darkrai/Sableye )

SheNinja said:
The both perform the same in mirror matches :thumbsup:

I'd say the matchup was about even before Plasma Storm came out.

Now? Hypnotoxic Laser+Virbank City Gym+Dark Claw = Dead Hydreigon? That's just too sick now, I would have to think Speed Darkrai has the edge just for consistency and maximum damage output reasons.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
SheNinja said:
The both perform the same in mirror matches :thumbsup:

I'd say the matchup was about even before Plasma Storm came out.

Now? Hypnotoxic Laser+Virbank City Gym+Dark Claw = Dead Hydreigon? That's just too sick now, I would have to think Speed Darkrai has the edge just for consistency and maximum damage output reasons.

dmaster out.

Actually, Darkrai doesn't have enough to OHKO Hydregion. Hydregion can just Max Potion and retreat. THe only way it would work is if Hydregion was asleep, which is only a 50-50 chance. And if they run Keldeo, you don't have a chance of OHKOing Hydregion.

Whoopsie, I did forget that it had 150 HP, so yeah, I guess that is 10 short. If you put 30 on it from a Night Spear snipe and they can't Max Potion it though, then it's dead the next turn.

Besides that though, Deinos can die to a Laser+Virbank+Dark Claw on a Sableye. That's a pretty detrimental quality to the deck now as well.

dmaster out.

I think everyone knows that Hydreigon is dead. Speed Darkrai is now one of (if not the) BDIFs. With Dark Claw and Hypnobank it is such monster. Additionally, some Darkrai decks take advantage of EtherDex alongside Dark Patch + Energy Switch for a fairly common T1 Night Spear. With the possibility of a T1 140 damage (though not too common), this deck is going to be heavily played at States and needs to be prepared for.

I was just saying that in mirror matches because they do the same against the same deck: i.e. Hydreigon vs. Hydreigon or Darkrai vs. Darkrai. :) I guess Speed Darkrai is still better imo.

Well, mirror matches are mirror matches, they're always 50-50. The one with the most luck (unless there is a large rift in the skill of the two players playing the mirror) will always win.

Back