News Solgaleo GX and Lunala GX: Pokemon GX Mechanic Revealed at Worlds!

Let's not forget these may not even be basic, the abilities are so powerful for basic Pokemon that it makes me think they are evolved somehow. Lots of hate for something that isn't finalized, I would focus on the abilities and attacks before the card art.

Cards themselves look decent but the boarder is not appealing at all. Would have liked a continuation of the japanese XY TCG boarder and holofoil pattern.

I don't know if it's because i started playing TCG around the time Breakthrough was coming out (played the card game on gameboy, but never really owned any cards. Heck i still don't. Only cards i have are on tcgo), but i really love the design of these cards. Lunala is my favorite amongst the two legendaries and i absolutely love it's art on the card.

I don't think these will outright replace EX's. We might still get regular EX's along with GX's. The trailer showed of all the special types of pokemon cards we currently have and none that appeared in a previous gen but were discontinued like prime etc. So we might still be getting breaks and mega's when the sun and moon expansions start rolling out. All just speculation of course.

They're attacks aren't that good, but their abilities are pretty wicked. Free retreat and energy movement are pretty strong.

Honestly I only collect cards. Within the last couple of weeks I have gotten really into it again so I'm just happy that they look cool AND are new pokemon.

I think they look ok. I love that Solgaleo art so much! I kinda hope that it is like the Prime cards from HGSS, and we don't get a lot of them.
I think they make up for what has been pretty lack luster Full Arts in recent sets. I like the idea of the full arts having backgrounds that aren't a 4 year old's finger paint 'masterpiece'.

As for GX-Attacks, I wish they just called them Z-Moves, just like I wish they would of made Spirit Links that Pokemon's Mega Stone instead. It would of been a lot closer to the games, and I like that. I don't think these are replacing anything, but I do hope they stop making so many Ultra Rares in each set. Maybe 3 EX's, 1 Mega, 2 BREAKS, and 2 GXs, along with Full Arts for the EXs.

I do like these cards, and I want to see what they do with them in the future. I think it has potential, and I would really like them to keep it Legend/"Special" Pokemon only.

Why GX and not just Z, they seem to be based on Z-move Pokemon?
Well, hope they either have lowish HP (150 and under) or are not Basics. I'd like to play Standard if they move away from tedious big Basic gameplay.

I don't mind the design, but if they don't have ridges and are similar to the Mythical Collection full art promos I doubt I'll be buying anymore new TCG products. They just look cheap without the ridges. Not to say the border isn't ugly cause it is.

At least we have the games still.

Really pretty looking cards there :D

Cant wait to open them hopefully on my Birthday ^_^ 2-21-2017

I've been playing the Pokemon TCG since ex Sandstorm, and maybe it's because I'm an old man who's used to seeing new mechanics every few sets but IMO Pokemon EX have really overstayed their welcome. I'm really hoping GX mixes things up enough to help what I feel like is a stagnating game.

Ewww the design -_-.

I like the art of the Pokemon though. I hope they're not getting rid of the BW blank design.

Beyond hideous =/

The border lines are horrible, the GX bar looks very unprofessional, I really hate the W/R/R section, the rule box really doesn't look right... sigh.

I agree with you totally. It's like they want us to hate the design, lol.

The wording is changed too. 'Discard all Energy from this Pokemon.' instead of 'Discard all energy attached to this Pokemon.' Can't say I'm a fan of that wording.

In terms of people wanting the -GXs to have to evolve, Lunaala's says this:

[?] Lunar Fall GX: Knock Out 1 of your opponent’s Basic Pokemon that isn’t a Pokemon GX. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

They are preliminary I suppose, but regardless I thought it'd be good to point out.

Edit: Above post didn't show up until I added a post, ?? Oh well

Geez. There's a lot to take in with these cards... Just some speculation. I'm expecting these to have maybe 200 to 250 HP. Not in the sense of "I demand even more HP!!" because HP is already ridiculously high as it is, but rather in terms of Solgaleo's attack damage. That's an oddly specific amount of damage. I suppose you could say that's to be able to OHKO Megas, but that feels very specific to make the damage 230, as opposed to, let's say, 200 damage to OHKO EX's like we've seen on a few other cards. And if GX's--the new big cards--also had the same HP as regular EX's (170 to 180 HP), again, why go over 200 damage if the typical HP will still be below that?

It's also interesting how much information is on these cards, yet not revealing the HP, attack costs, and whether these are Basics or some new form of evolution raises so many questions about how playable these may or may not be! (EDIT: The above two posts mentioning Lunala's GX attack wording seems pretty specific and most likely confirms that these are Basics.) And GX attacks are very interesting! Honestly, these feel sort of like Ace Specs in the form of an attack. If you use these Pokemon for their GX attack, you'd probably focus a fair amount on it. But then again, it depends on the attack cost. Same goes for using both of these cards' regular attacks. I'm expecting a high attack cost for Solgaleo to justify 230 damage. But for Lunala, I would think a low attack cost would be interesting. Regardless, both their Abilities are awesome and very useful!
The design they have I'd wager is pretty much it, although it feels wrong without HP, the little silver square next to the name is pointless and the other stuff I said in my first post.
In all honesty, more likely than not, that pointless silver square next to the name is going to say what kind of Pokemon that the card is: Basic. Along with the HP, attack costs, Weakness/Resistance/Retreat Cost, and what might be something like a Pokedex entry in the bottom left, this area was left blank to not reveal everything just yet. And I mean, if you look at our current cards and take away just the word Basic, Stage 1, etc. and the pictures for the previous evolution, yeah, those silver bars look pretty pointless too.

I'm certainly not arguing that people should like these aesthetic changes--this comes down to personal preferences, and everyone is different--but this specifically didn't seem like a legit reason to add to why this design doesn't look good. =\

Last edited:
So I get the they're trying to maybe turn GX's into the Pokemon version of an Ace Spec or something, but that "one GX attack per game" clause isn't gonna stop anyone from cramming their deck with them. I can already see an inane amount of synergy between these two cards. Use Solgaleo's GX attack to ramp up your energy, then use both of their abilities to shuffle Pokemon and energy in and out of the active space as-needed. All we're missing is Max Potions and it's basically the reincarnation of early fairybox decks.

Energy cost to use Sol Burst can probably be worked around, and the fact that it doesn't specify basic energy makes it feel so much more worth it. Even if he can't function outside of a Steel deck, Mega Steelix just got a new best friend for stacking Strong Energy :D:D:D

Back