'Solgaleo-GX' and 'Lunala-GX Boxes' in March!

Well now by the time it's out Volcanion will have rotated so there may not be a relevant fire deck to give metal decks issues

Well, if they decide on delaying these cards some more Cosmog and Cosmoem will be rotated by the time TPCi gets in gear.

Sallazzle GX is kind of a thing.
Scizor EX is a thing also but you don't see it roaming the meta stomping Gardevoir.

In order for a deck to be a relevant counter to a deck, it also has to be good against the rest of the meta. Salazzle is not that, nor is Scizor EX

Interesting that this won't be coming out until post rotation.

Overall I don't think it'll have a major impact on timing. The original Solgaleo GX from SUMO would still rotate before this one in 2019, so it's not like we're missing a window for both Solgaleo GX's to rotate together.

The main issue is that there's a lot of time for Solgaleo GX to be made irrelivent before it even comes out by something coming out between now and October, but to be quite frank if a genuine, viable, hard counter to this new Solgaleo GX comes out, I'd be worried about the game's balance.

The only thing keeping new Solgaleo GX in check is the fact that it has the natural weakness of being a stage 2 deck and Psychic weakness on its previous 2 evolutions making it potentially problematic to evolve.

(Also sorry Lunala. As much as I love you in the VG you got the short end of the stick in the TCG).

Kind of a crazy, weird thought, but in expanded when this thing comes out Volcanion could use Hex Maniac and Bright Flame to kill Solgaleo GX. It could work, if someone makes it consistent.
EDIT: Salazzle and some future ability lock could work.

Last edited:
I can't really think of anything that would make this Solgaleo bad, except something that blocks evolving. If we get Ability lock from the Bench back (other than Alolan Muk: it only affects Basics), then maybe Salazzle/said Ability lock 'mon? The card just seems so unstoppable, there isn't much that will compete with it at this rate.
Edit: @Duo, this was a response to your comment, for some reason I couldn't get quotes to work. /shrug

Interesting that this won't be coming out until post rotation.

Overall I don't think it'll have a major impact on timing. The original Solgaleo GX from SUMO would still rotate before this one in 2019, so it's not like we're missing a window for both Solgaleo GX's to rotate together.

The main issue is that there's a lot of time for Solgaleo GX to be made irrelivent before it even comes out by something coming out between now and October, but to be quite frank if a genuine, viable, hard counter to this new Solgaleo GX comes out, I'd be worried about the game's balance.

The only thing keeping new Solgaleo GX in check is the fact that it has the natural weakness of being a stage 2 deck and Psychic weakness on its previous 2 evolutions making it potentially problematic to evolve.

(Also sorry Lunala. As much as I love you in the VG you got the short end of the stick in the TCG).
They both rotate 2020 since Oldgaleo is in ULP

This just leaves Solgaleo in the dust. Pretty disappointing. Metal will still be good when Ultra Prism gets released.

Turbo strike looks like it will be a great attack that can be sort of splashed in any deck that runs rare candy. I’m considering running that in my Ninetales deck but I think Glaceon-GX will win out.

Turbo strike looks like it will be a great attack that can be sort of splashed in any deck that runs rare candy. I’m considering running that in my Ninetales deck but I think Glaceon-GX will win out.
Glaceon GX is definetly going to be big, in one way or another. It shuts off Gardevoir, which is good.

I think getting Glaceon our turn one then setting up the board state for a couple of turns would make the metal weakness for Ninetales a bit tougher to take advantage of against metal. Weakness is still weakness though.

Forgive me if there was some sort of rule I missed about bumping old threads but.....

Guess what day this is now? :D

Back