'Solgaleo' and 'Lunaala,' Sun and Moon's Legendary Pokemon?

Ashkai & Pikan

I'm broken, can you fix me?
Hopefully these are the English names too, and not the Japanese names... I don't want a legendary with a crappy name!

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
Names with Greek and Roman origins? So perhaps a region inspired by Italy or Greece? That would be cool in my opinion. A nice mediterranean-esque region.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
I really like Lunaala's name, but Solgaleo is awkward, I think they could've done better with the name

Victor Freitas

Aspiring Trainer
The way you'd read Katakana, it's more likely "Lunarla."

Also remember, we have name like "Yveltal" and "Xerneas" which from Japanese would have looked like "Iberteru" and "Zeruneas" so localization/romanization team is probably gonna play with the names a bit.
Yeah. What I find strange is that we actually got some kind of triple A. One from the "NA", and other two from the extended "A-", so... "Lunarla" seems too short, since it could be just RUNAARA instead of RUNAAARA. Still, I have no idea how to "romanize" this thing.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I really like Lunaala's name, but Solgaleo is awkward, I think they could've done better with the name

I agree, Solgaleo is rather awkward, but I do like Lunaala's name. But, I think Lunaala's name is a little awkward too. Not digging the "double a" in Lunaala's name though.

postmodern_pinko

So postmodern
0meKMAP00IrD.jpg

confirmed

Tensho

Aspiring Trainer
Hopefully these are the English names too, and not the Japanese names... I don't want a legendary with a crappy name!
It will be the English names for the legendaries if these names stay true. They did say that they want legendary to be universal so the names stay the same no matter which language.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
Leo from lion and Nala from lioness (Lion King). It makes perfect sense!
(I am joking, of course)
In all seriousness, though, the Moon legendary sounds to me like it might be based on a moth...but who knows.

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
I admit, the name "Solgaleo" is pretty ankward, but I can get used to it. Its not like there's more ankward names out there for Pokémon, like names such as "Dialga" and "Palkia". That said, if there was a N on the end, it'd be called "Solgaleon". In a instant, to me anyways, the name becomes 100 times more appealing in sound.

DTheConqueror

Pokemon Researcher
Names with Greek and Roman origins? So perhaps a region inspired by Italy or Greece? That would be cool in my opinion. A nice mediterranean-esque region.

Wait a second!!! Italy is right next to France (where Kalos is based on!) That fits nicely with the theory that you could go from Kalos to the new region, AND Galileo was Italian. All the puzzle pieces fit together!!! That also explains the tropicalness of the region, because the Mediterranean climate, and also the cafes. Italy is famous for its cafes as well! Italy is also a place of fashion so I hope that they bring back character customization.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
I'd be down for a better fire lion, but it'd also be interesting if both legendaries were fish considering the tropical, possibly Hoenn-esque landscape. Godly legend fish ftw!!

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
This is definitely interesting. I like the sound of Lunaria, too. But if we did get a Pokémon that looks like Galileo... That would be great. Or at least the trainer who finds/controls Solgaleo in Sun/Moon should look like Galileo. I want it now. As for Lunaria, I can imagine it as some sort of Cresselia-like Pokémon, perhaps with a resemblance to Lunatone or a female-only ratio. Either way, I hope these are real (and that they don't botch the English names)!

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Aspiring Trainer
That said, if there was a N on the end, it'd be called "Solgaleon". In a instant, to me anyways, the name becomes 100 times more appealing in sound.
"Solgaleon" would require it to be based of a lion (Leon), for which there is no evidence at all at this point.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
People be like "Finally, a fire-type lion legendary"...
You mean this?
244Entei.png

Aaaaand... On the same note, a lion for the Sun game and a possibly winged feminine creature for the Moon game?
Oh, I already know where this is going...
sun_digimon_by_max9715.jpg
moon_digimon_by_max9715.jpg

meh...

HeadsOfKings

Aspiring Trainer
Sol, ala, and luna, are all spanish words too, so it could easily be based on Spain, which would make it the region right next to Kalos,..

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
"Solgaleon" would require it to be based of a lion (Leon), for which there is no evidence at all at this point.

Not really. I can say the same about the whole "Galeo" pointing towards a shark. I only added the N to "Leo" for a better sound really. I wasn't debating whether it was a "sun" shark, or a lion, or whether a shark or a lion was better. I like both animals myself. That said, that brought me to another possibility none yet thought about. What if the Sun Legendary, if we are basing its speculated design on its name anyways, was a sea-serpentine/fish-bodied lion creature? A lion-fish, but in the literal sense of the word? In other words, what if the Legendary was a Leokampoi? Leokampoi are a variation of the greek mythical Hippocampus (sea horse), but unlike the Hippocampus, the Leokampoi are barely known about in Greek legends.

I think personally that this would be a great idea. Not only would this do away with the common basic "fire lion" legendary, but it would also give it a unique, exotic, if not a tropical awesome twist to the common Fire Lion trope.

A exotic, fish-bodied lion-like Legendary Pokémon that swims in and around the Sun.

3ee4a8a40c0e4e1e367613c6aa1bc05d.jpg

Last edited:

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I actually predicted a sun lion and a moon bird. I'm laughing at the fact it's likely about what could be happening. Coincidence? Or am I just that good? (Coincidence).

Darkpoison64

Aspiring Trainer
Nice job with the names this time pokemon. Can't wait to see the box art pokemon leaked next month in corocoro. :)