'Solgaleo' and 'Lunaala,' Sun and Moon's Legendary Pokemon?

So I don't know if anyone's posted this around here but the possible origins for the legendaries this gen could be based around the Polynesian God of war Kū ( who's associated with the Leo constellation) and the Peka-nui (a giant bat that carried off two kids and then turned into a snipe). It may be a bit of a reach, but I think it's a very possible basis to these legendaries that seemed off in a Hawaiian based region.

Oh, that would be pretty interesting indeed. Didn't know that existed. Nice find.

Last edited:
However, it doesn't matter because of one detail spotted in a japanese TV-spot that has a very quick new shot in it, showcasing Lunaalas forehead-symbol:
View attachment 10688
As you can see, even though Solgaleo has the Sun-Symbol on its forehead, Lunaala has this symbol instead of the Moon-symbol. And it looks far too reminiscent of the Psychic-Symbol to be ignored. Since only Lunaalas forhead symbol resembles the Psychic eye, I'm now convinced that Psychic will be Lunaalas core type, being the type rivaling Solgaleos Fire type.

That makes a lot of sense... and it's a real disappointment if it turns out to be true. Psychic/Flying is just so "meh" to me... I still find Ghost/Flying to be a much more interesting combination for it due to its skeletal apppearance...

The more time goes by, the more I like Lunaala's design. That Eye symbol is awesome, although I agree it's a shame if it's a Psychic type. We already have Lugia for Psychic-Flying. That plus Fire type solgaleo means that the Legendaries' types are the same as Lugia and Ho-Oh..

That makes a lot of sense... and it's a real disappointment if it turns out to be true. Psychic/Flying is just so "meh" to me... I still find Ghost/Flying to be a much more interesting combination for it due to its skeletal apppearance...

The more time goes by, the more I like Lunaala's design. That Eye symbol is awesome, although I agree it's a shame if it's a Psychic type. We already have Lugia for Psychic-Flying. That plus Fire type solgaleo means that the Legendaries' types are the same as Lugia and Ho-Oh..

Just because Mitja noted about the Eye symbol, doesn't exactly mean its going to be Psychic type. Nothing is yet even confirmed, and all is still speculation, especially my wanted "Ghost/Ice" typing for Lunaala. Seeing as the Moon is heavily used for Lunaala alone, there's more chance that Lunaala will be atleast Fairy-type, as Fairy has mystical connections to the Moon.

More the Psychic Type, as in the TGC area, covers Psychic, Ghost and Poison types equally. That Eye on Lunaala's forehead is pretty sinister looking, and may be a hint to the Ghost type instead. Options are still available, and while Psychic has a good chance because it has some connections with cosmic concepts, its not the absolute answer. At least, not to me. If I had to put faith into what possible types Lunaala could be, I'd list the following possible types, all of which can be connected to the moon in both minor and major ways:

Possible type choices for Lunaala:
Ice, Flying, Psychic, Ghost, or Fairy

Fairy= For its magical associations to the moon
Ice = Refers to the lunar water ice on the moon, and ice's capability of reflecting light
Psychic = Used for cosmic/outer space references.
Flying = For the mere fact that Lunaala is flying.
Ghost = Refers to the aspects of the night, darkness, shadows, Lunaala's skeletal/creepy appearance, etc. (strongest possibility)

6 possibilities in total if Lunaala ends up being a Mono Type, instead of Dual type.

Possible type combinations for Lunaala:
Ghost/Ice
Ghost/Psychic
Ghost/Flying
Ghost/Fairy
Ice/Fairy
Ice/Psychic
Ice/Flying
Fairy/Psychic
Fairy/Flying
Fairy/Ice
Psychic/Flying
Psychic/Fairy
Psychic/Ice
Flying/Ice
Flying/Fairy
Flying/Psychic

About 16 type combinations for Lunaala if it becomes a Dual Type. Take your pick, I'd say.

While it does indeed look like the eye symbol from the TCG, I think it's supposed to resemble the moon logo just like how Solgaleo has a more basic form of the sun logo on its head. I also looked into all the Pokemon that had airborne 3D models and all of them either have the Levitate ability or are part flying type. Unless GF decided to strip Lunaala of a unique ability, it will almost definitely be at least part flying.

Just because Mitja noted about the Eye symbol, doesn't exactly mean its going to be Psychic type. Nothing is yet even confirmed, and all is still speculation, especially my wanted "Ghost/Ice" typing for Lunaala. Seeing as the Moon is heavily used for Lunaala alone, there's more chance that Lunaala will be atleast Fairy-type, as Fairy has mystical connections to the Moon.

More the Psychic Type, as in the TGC area, covers Psychic, Ghost and Poison types equally. That Eye on Lunaala's forehead is pretty sinister looking, and may be a hint to the Ghost type instead. Options are still available, and while Psychic has a good chance because it has some connections with cosmic concepts, its not the absolute answer. At least, not to me. If I had to put faith into what possible types Lunaala could be, I'd list the following possible types, all of which can be connected to the moon in both minor and major ways:

Possible type choices for Lunaala:
Ice, Flying, Psychic, Ghost, or Fairy

Fairy= For its magical associations to the moon
Ice = Refers to the lunar water ice on the moon, and ice's capability of reflecting light
Psychic = Used for cosmic/outer space references.
Flying = For the mere fact that Lunaala is flying.
Ghost = Refers to the aspects of the night, darkness, shadows, Lunaala's skeletal/creepy appearance, etc. (strongest possibility)

6 possibilities in total if Lunaala ends up being a Mono Type, instead of Dual type.

Possible type combinations for Lunaala:
Ghost/Ice
Ghost/Psychic
Ghost/Flying
Ghost/Fairy
Ice/Fairy
Ice/Psychic
Ice/Flying
Fairy/Psychic
Fairy/Flying
Fairy/Ice
Psychic/Flying
Psychic/Fairy
Psychic/Ice
Flying/Ice
Flying/Fairy
Flying/Psychic

About 16 type combinations for Lunaala if it becomes a Dual Type. Take your pick, I'd say.

You forgot Dark. Dark is often associated with the moon as well (even though it doesn't represent literal darkness).

Seeing as the Moon is heavily used for Lunaala alone, there's more chance that Lunaala will be atleast Fairy-type, as Fairy has mystical connections to the Moon.

There is 3 moves involving the moon: Moonlight, Moonblast and Lunar Dance
But it's fair to ignore Lunar Dance given that it's a signature move (as those often simply suite the type of its pokemon for STAB purposes regardless of theme), so there is 2, and yeah they're both Fairy type.

But wouldn't Pokemon designs involving a moon-theme be just as relevant indicators of type association?
We have the already mentioned Cresselia, which is pure Psychic and delibertaley remained so despite everyone expecting it to be retconned to Psy/Fairy at least.
It does have Darkrai as a counterpart, but it's not even remotely as moon-themed besides for the sake of being Cresselias counterpart.

Then we have Lunatone, which is Rock/Psychic. But in this case, the argument that it was dual-type before Fairy and therefore would not have been retconned anyway is legit. (it would still have made sense to keep Psy regardless though considering its Psy-heavy movepool and the whole "it's a levitating rock").

On the Fairy side there is the Clefairy line and that's less direct, given how it is all about being a fairy first and having moon-associations on top of that.

Looking at a list of Pokemon evolving with the Moon Stone isn't much helpful either, since even though there is 2 Fairies (Jigglypuff and Clefairy) that evolve with it, and only one Psychic (Munna), it's also used for a Normal one (Skitty) and a big family of Poison types (both Nidoran-lines), which go on to gain Ground upon evolution.

Anything else moon related in the franchise I missed?

EDIT:
Another thing.. as far as the move Moonlight goes, if someone wants to argue that it's type specifically indicates strong moon-association of Fairy, while agreeing that Solgaleo will obviously be Fire-type, then it's worth mentioning thatthe counterpart-move, Morning Sun, is not a Fire type move, so that leaves Moonblast...for now.

Last edited:
Ah man....Solgaleo is a Psychic/Steel type? Not fire? Like how come? And has a renamed Clear Body ability? Not sure what to think of this. As for Lunaala, well, atleast glad to know that Ghost is confirmed as one of its typings, but really....two Psychic Legendaries? Oh well, atleast the signature moves look good.

Ah man....Solgaleo is a Psychic/Steel type? Not fire? Like how come? And has a renamed Clear Body ability? Not sure what to think of this. As for Lunaala, well, atleast glad to know that Ghost is confirmed as one of its typings, but really....two Psychic Legendaries? Oh well, atleast the signature moves look good.
I like that there are two Psychic-Type box art legends. They usually share a typing (Gen II is Flying-Type, Gen IV and V is Dragon-Type) so it's neat to give it to a type represented a little less in legendary Pokémon already.

Solagaleo not being Fire was something I did not see coming at all (it's actually weak to it). Still quite an interesting typing, even if it's one we've seen a few times before. Currently not getting huge Steel type vibes from it (it's not helping that it's signature move looks very fire like), although it was revealed less than an hour ago so there's room to find out more about it. Not a huge fan of its ability being a renamed Clear Body but w/e.

I was almost certain Lunala would be /Flying, so it's refreshing to see something different. I like its typing, nice to see another Ghost mascot legendary. Probably my personal favourite of the two. Sounds like it's ability is a renamed Multiscale, which isn't too bad.

The Psychic typing fits both of them imo, it's the most 'cosmic' typing and we haven't really had any Psychic main legendaries (sans Lugia) so it's nice to see a couple of mascot legendaries get that type.

Last edited:
I like that there are two Psychic-Type box art legends. They usually share a typing (Gen II is Flying-Type, Gen IV and V is Dragon-Type) so it's neat to give it to a type represented a little less in legendary Pokémon already.

I don't mind the fact both are Psychic. In fact, many called the Psychic type for these two, with Psychic/Fire being the most common for Solgaleo. While Ghost type was pretty much a given by many, Psychic/Steel was something no one called for Solgaleo. Also, what bothers me about this typing is that its called "the Sunne Pokémon" and is called the emissary of the Sun, plus its signature move is fiery in animation, and has the name "Sunsteel Strike" all of these things being very fiery like, yet makes it extremely contradicting, especially when its said, that this Pokémon is said to devour the sun.

Like, how does that make any sense? To me, that's where the disappointment comes from. That said, however, its now pretty much set in stone that Psychic is indeed the type to cover all cosmic related concepts, including the stars/sun and the moon.

Not-so-Fiery Metagross was a surprise to me, but what also came to me as a surprise is that Lunala's model isn't even really airborne, it just sits/slightly hovers on its crescent tail thing. Overall if gen 7 is basically gen 6 part II, I think the defensive abilities for these legendaries is a nice contrast to the offensive abilities for Xerneas and Yveltal.

Also, what bothers me about this typing is that its called "the Sunne Pokémon" and is called the emissary of the Sun, plus its signature move is fiery in animation, and has the name "Sunsteel Strike" all of these things being very fiery like, yet makes it extremely contradicting, especially when its said, that this Pokémon is said to devour the sun.

Like, how does that make any sense? To me, that's where the disappointment comes from.

Some science nerd will probably tell you that the sun isn't really made of fire, but is made of plutonic quarks or something equally as confusing. I do agree that Solgaleo not having Fire type is a bit of a disappointment, but hey, at least it...leaves room for more fire types? I dunno, man.

If I'm pronouncing it right, Solgaleo will now forever be Galileo in my head, even though it has nothing to do with the explorer.

Some science nerd will probably tell you that the sun isn't really made of fire, but is made of plutonic quarks or something equally as confusing. I do agree that Solgaleo not having Fire type is a bit of a disappointment, but hey, at least it...leaves room for more fire types? I dunno, man.

If I'm pronouncing it right, Solgaleo will now forever be Galileo in my head, even though it has nothing to do with the explorer.

I know, and its not like I'm saying the sun is fire by default. But its so that the Lion, if not the Sun itself has always been associated with Fire since, like, forever. And that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like, who in heck, other than the usual astronomy experts, are going to see the Steel type in something called the Sunne Pokémon? Psychic I get with the whole cosmic association.

Just to get over my sour disappointment with Solgaleo's typing, to me, Solgaleo is now just pretty much a living tech-organic spaceship lion mecha powered by the sun's energy.

http://pokehype.blogspot.si/2016/06/all-things-cosmic-psychic.html

in short,

I was spot-on with my Ghost hopes (as well as being sure it won't be Fairyyyy), as well as saying that if they'd both be dual types, it would only be the case if they both share a type, in which case that type likely being Psychic due to its cosmic association (which is now confirmed beyond debate)... because that's even more true than expected, with Psychic even being their main type.

What got me off-guard is of course Steel, but it made sense the instant it flashed on screen, as I already saw the thematic clash in their designs long ago: Solgaleo is so animalistic and "down to earth", full of energy and life, whereas Lunala is so skeletal and ghastly.
Hence, Steel as the most "physical" type possible, in contrast to Ghost, the least "physical", or if you will, the ethereal type.

http://pokehype.blogspot.si/2016/06/all-things-cosmic-psychic.html

in short,

I was spot-on with my Ghost hopes (as well as being sure it won't be Fairyyyy), as well as saying that if they'd both be dual types, it would only be the case if they both share a type, in which case that type likely being Psychic due to its cosmic association (which is now confirmed beyond debate)... because that's even more true than expected, with Psychic even being their main type.

What got me off-guard is of course Steel, but it made sense the instant it flashed on screen, as I already saw the thematic clash in their designs long ago: Solgaleo is so animalistic and "down to earth", full of energy and life, whereas Lunala is so skeletal and ghastly.
Hence, Steel as the most "physical" type possible, in contrast to Ghost, the least "physical", or if you will, the ethereal type.

Eh, if it was so "down to earth" as you say, wouldn't it make more sense for it to have been Psychic/Ground type instead? Steel is used mainly because the Sun has metallic elements in its make up. There's also the whole theory going around that there's a alchemic theme to the games, with Solgaleo representing the "the Lion who devours the Sun" which is a symbol of alchemy. No one would have predicted something like that or made such a connection. As for Ghost, pretty much everyone guessed that, and I was even a supporter of it.

That said, I was one of the few who called out the Steel type for Solgaleo's seemingly futuristic design, so I'm glad about that at the very least. Still a shame its not part Fire-type. Should have been Psychic/Fire. But since its not Fire, I guess its safe to say that, to me anyways, Solgaleo is pretty much a tech-organic spaceship-shaped lion mech at this point, one that is powered by sunlight.

The only real thing that is noticeable is that the Legendaries are land focused and sky-focused respectively. One is land bound, and the other is sky bound. Seeing its alchemy themed though...gives it more possibility to connect it to Kalos.

What I do think, however, is that Solgaleo is likely inspired by the Nemean Lion of Greek Mythology. In addition to the Lion's impenetrable hide, which could be tied to Solgaleo's steel typing, the Nemean Lion is also regarded as the Leo Constellation symbol within the Zodiac, with the Leo symbol being associated with the Sun as its ruler. Would make sense seeing as Solgaleo is said to be the "Emissary of the sun".

Last edited:
Say whatever you want, to me Solgaleo's type is pure bs! Sun -> Fire, period. This is just another Lugia case: guardian of the "seas", not Water-type.
I would be fine with either Psychic/Fire or even Fire/Steel, as Psychic connects with the cosmic element and it kinda had a metallic look indeed, but not being part-Fire is just usual GF's dumbness...

Back