DPPt/HGSS Soft Resetting for shines

Xdog

Pokemon X(dog) and Y
So today I was soft reseting in Platinum for Giratina in Turnback Cave (laugh at me all you want, i accidentally ran away the first time) because I really want a shiny. However, after about an hour or 2 I got incredibly bored and stopped. So what are your best techniques for soft reseting to get them quickly and without getting bored within 5 tries? Or do you just have to suck it up and reset 20,000 times?

RE: Soft Reseting

I've never tried soft resseting, but most of the time people get lucky and don't have to do it 20,000 times. My friend was SR for a Kyogre and got it in about 45 tries. So yeah, pretty much, you gotta suck it up or get lucky.

@Xdogking, have you ever caught a shiny before? If so there are some shortcuts by determining your Secret ID.

@ hyperbeem

I wish i caught a shiny :(. I mean i did once in emerald but thats long gone. But yeah i know friends who abuse the whole secret id thing to get shinys

@Darkvoid - Yeah, that was an exaggeration XD

@Hyperbeam - Yeah, I've tried the breeding way but it's never really worked, idk why.

So today I was soft reseting in Platinum for Giratina in Turnback Cave (laugh at me all you want, i accidentally ran away the first time) because I really want a shiny.
You unintentionally brought up some bad memories of mine...I did exactly that and gave up after 1500 tries.
I believe that, if you've already caught a shiny Pokemon (or if you know your secret ID), the RNG method can help you get more, since it is technically possible to influence the game's RNG. Smogon has a good article on that.

SRing is really boring, fortunately you don't have to focus. Really the only way to soft reset is to just "man up" and do it, be patient and make sure to be doing other things while you are resetting, listen to music you like etc... Also make sure not to soft reset in large blocks of time, I soft reset Moltres for over 11 hours straight one day and it kinda kills your inspiration, try to only do an hour a day max, in less you feel you can go longer, it is ok to stop when you get sick of it, that is my advice take it or leave it.

I'm SRing for Shiny Rayquaza in Sapphire. I play Mario Party 8 on the Wii to keep me occupied since there are turns and you can just SR inbetween the mini-games and your turn. It works really well and I've never gotten bored. Another option is to play another Pokemon game and just become somewhat distracted by that. And if you have two things you are SRing for at the same time, do it. It will make you feel a whole lot more productive.

^ pokemon staduim lol.

i tried to SR for a shiny eevee but at about 100 times i got bored and stopped.

Just watching TV is a good way. Just have the volume up a bit so that you can hear the shiny sparkle noise thingy. Or you can pass time with any turn based game, as I've sort of said before.

I wanted to get a Shiny Charmander so I had to sot reset for 7 hours!

7 hours? Lucky. I've been SRing for my Rayquaza for 4 days >.> Another way to pass time is to watch youtube stuff.

If you're soft reseting on the DS, keep in mind that the Pokémon IVs and shinyness are related to the ammount of time it takes for you to choose CONTINUE, counting from the moment the game starts. If you keep restarting at the same time (i.e. press A continuously to get it over with ASAP), you'll keep getting the same Pokémon (I have verified this when I soft reseted for Cresselia in Platinum). This doesn't work on the GBA versions, though.

In Soulsilver I SR for like 2 hours got bored gave up and tried again the next day and got a shiny mewtwo on my first try so

I SR for a shiny mewtwo about 2-3 month after the release of HGSS. I luckily got it in 1-2 weeks of SRing, and what makes it even more prized is that incaught it in a normal pokeball.

Soft resetting is a method of getting a shiny, which I have tried a couple of times and failed at. I just seriously got bored of soft resetting to get a shiny and just captured a non-shiny version. You need to have patience when you are SRing. You won't get a shiny Pokemon on your first try (unless your lucky), it will take a long time and can be a boring process.

The easiest way would probably be to find someone with an AR, use it to get your secret ID, and then you can catch as many shiny pokemon as you want with little effort.

I was watching television while SRing a Snorlax and after about 50 tries I got a shiny, but I didin't have the sound on and didnt see the sparkle until just before I soft resetted.

me no got my shiny -_______-

Back