So, how did you learn to play?

abaxter94

Peach is staring into your soul
I'm wondering, where and how did you learn to play the tcg card game, and a what age. I started as a fanatic of the show when I was six. when my mom saw how much I loved the anmie, she got me the how to play tutorial. After mastering that in a few hours (you need to play several games with an anoying girl that keeps talking about all the stuff you need to know) I was ready to start. I went out and bought a theme deck, I think it was the one with machamp holo foil, and got all set up, then I thought, I don't have anyone to play with. And so for the next year or two I just collected. My brothers weren't interestead, but as soon as the ex serries came out they couldn't wait. As I had been collecting for a longer time and was (and am) more experienced then them, I usaully won. but as the years went by we got better and new cards got released and I'm only a little bit better. Now I am 12, and my biggest ambition in the card game is to play in the worlds (it doesn't really matter what age I am when and if I finally get to, I just want to). well, sorry for going on, but that is how I learned to play.

I learned practically when it came out...

As far as at what age, I never give out age. Read a few of my other posts, the reason why is listed. Basicaly I'm weird like that...

I learned how to play by reading the rule book when pokemon first came out. I was 7 and although I knew how to play I did not have any one to play with. Since then I have just ben a collector and I have recently ben playing competitivly.

I was a collector since the beginning until around 2001 until we moved house. About 5 mins away was a store that held the TCG league so I went along there to finish my collection and discovered to play the game. Since I was a collector and really only had 1 of each card none of my decks were really good until around Neo Genesis when I began to buy more packs and built a Steelix deck. Then it just went from there until we have a new league which is even better. In the end I was taught by friends and had a demo disc from some magazine which taught how to play but that was years ago now, lol.

My friend showed me a card he got in the mail about the card game, and since I was so into the videogames at the time, I was hooked. He bought two starter decks once they came out (the Machamp one and Zzap!) and as soon as we learned how to play we played them non-stop. I eventually got Overgrowth and we started buying booster packs. He made a hefty Blastoise deck and I ended up pulling a Charizard from a booster pack and used him in my Psychic deck along with Alakazam and a Chansey.

I played until about the Gym series came out, at which time I lost interest in the game. I got back in when Neo came out for a bit, but I was out again by the time the third Neo set came out.

Then I joined probably just after Unseen Forces released, and I've been in it ever since. Now that I've found a great league to play at every week, I'm really enjoying the game. I still remain iffy on the D/P sets, but I'll observe and decide if I want to carry on or not when the time comes.

well, at some time in 04 (november), i borrowed a video game (tcg ) from my friend and started playing it. After that, i found out this game to be very fun to play. So i started buying few decks (TRR, RG, DX..)and started playing!:D

BTW, i think this game is pretty much for rich ppls (i mean those kids that could buy 1 or more box for each sets). Why? coz they keep changing the rules! and the metagame is changing faster than u could adopt!
if u dont buy new cards, ur deck will be outdated in 1 billionth of a second!(no kidding here!)

the new DP rules makes my polistall a scattered dream.... now i could add 3 politoed exs to my trading list....

i jz saw ppl playin it and i bought a deck (kanghaskan deck)and started playin but after the gym series i stopped playin
and when deoxys came out i was back in the game

Tutorial on Pokemon.com. That, is just the basic skills. I've learned from other people by playing useful OCTGN. I used to be a collecter, still was about 1 year ago. Now, I guess I'm alright, but I could still use improvement.(as does everyone, I believe)

Perpare for a LONG one! (I really mean it!)

It was 2005's chirstmas when I bought my first theme deck... *Salamence* Then I opened it and was wondering why so many copies of the same card...?(Belive me, I was like a n00b then, lol) Then I just read the rulebook and started playing by myself... (sort of like playing the apprentice by yourself).

Then the next day, my brother also asked for a theme deck. So, we went to Atria and bought him the Ho-Oh theme deck. Then the shop owner there said there's a weekly tournament there every Saturday. So, we went there on Saturday to "check it out". I paid RM2 as registering fee and watched the other kids play. Then the tournament started, and guess what? I lost every round! Then, after the tournament, I learned how to play better... That's when we really started....

Then one day, we went to Ikano Power Center and bought a Gamers Sideboard, and saw that the BSC also has a tournament. So, we went there the following week and met all sort of people like ArmaldoEX and Charizard. Then the tournament starts. After that day, I kept going there every week. It was after the Nationals before I knew how to build a REAL deck.....

And so, here I am, helping people with their decks, winning at least 2 rounds in my tournament.....

BTW, I was 10 when I started playing, then turned 11 on Apr 2006.... My bro is now 8...

I started playing when the TCG first came out, and learnt how to play it with my brother and my dad using a couple of theme decks (the Machamp starter deck and the Hitmonchan one). I didn't start playing at a league until around the end of the Neo series/ begining of E-Reader sets. When the first rotation came round (so became E-Reader sets on) I stopped until Team Magma Vs Team Aqua came, and have been playing at the league ever since.

I found a big shoebox full of Base set cards about 2 years ago, and a rulebook. I only had 3 energies though, so that made things difficult :'(.

Arcanine out.

i got hooked on the anime when i was like 6 years old so then i wanted to "catch em' all" and bcoz i didn't have a gameboy so the cards were the closet thing and i bought a machamp deck but i haven't knoe the rules since 3 years ago

I learned from one of my old "friends" in 6th grade... Base Set, good times :D

I learned on the Pokemon TCG for Gameboy.
Fantastic game. I wish they'd make another version of it, after diamond and pearl are released.
Using just the first three original sets really isn't that much fun anymore, but back in the day, it was actually one of my favorite Pokémon games. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular.

Shortly after the first series or two was released I bought a VHS that showed people how and where to play the trading card game. I also had a CD game for the PC that had about 4-5 decks (Crappy ones, but still fun) that you could choose to play against the computer.

Back