Snorlax GX, Sun and Moon's First Promo!

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
Well if not, they'll probs be released as promos rather than in core expansions.

They may make the rest of the Mega Pokemon EX because mega evolved Pokemon cant use Z Moves so I don't think EX Pokemon are going anywhere. If this is true then I wonder how they will decide what non legendary Pokemon gets a GX card.
I'm only pondering because there are still 8/9 megas that don't exist yet, but yeah, they'd still need to be EXs.

WinterPhoenix23

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder how to get this powered up quickly. Can't really think of anything. My favorite Z move by far is the one that wipes a Pokemon.

I could see running this thing with Double Colerless Energy maybe? It's still a huge cost, but at least then it's usable. And you could run fighting fury belt on him to get up to that tanky 240 hp.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
My main question is: why not call them Pokémon-Z instead of "GX", with the move being called Z-Move like it is called in the games?

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Common Guys Pulverizing Pancake is the best name for an attack in this game!

I'd play the card in a tournament just so I could shout out - "Snorlax! Use Pulverizing Pancake!"

Yep that's one of my goals this season. Use Pulverizing Pancake in tournament play!

Best name ever!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Where did you guys get the translation? I translated the attacks as "Fall Down", "Roaring Snore", "Get Serious" (in that order).

These attacks have appeared in the TCG before. Rocket's Snorlax, Rocket's Snorlax-EX, and Snorlax (EX: FireRed/LeafGreen 15/112) all have attacks that literally translate to "Fall Down" but which the the-powers-that-be translated to "Collapse". We already know the name of Snorlax's Z-Move in the video games; I am guessing the assumption is its TCG counterpart will share its name.

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
I wonder how to get this powered up quickly. Can't really think of anything. My favorite Z move by far is the one that wipes a Pokemon.

It has access to Max Elixir so it's easy to get the first attack turn one in theory with A DCE Plus one successful Elixir.

My main question is: why not call them Pokémon-Z instead of "GX", with the move being called Z-Move like it is called in the games?
Shhhh we can't let Toriyama see Pokemon Z... Oh wait a minute...

1754181-theginyuforcedbk02__.png

Wait a Minute...

poke4trade

Raising Ash
These attacks have appeared in the TCG before. Rocket's Snorlax, Rocket's Snorlax-EX, and Snorlax (EX: FireRed/LeafGreen 15/112) all have attacks that literally translate to "Fall Down" but which the the-powers-that-be translated to "Collapse". We already know the name of Snorlax's Z-Move in the video games; I am guessing the assumption is its TCG counterpart will share its name.

If those are the real names of the attacks, I take back everything I just said, and now I'm sad.

Otaku

The wise fool?
If those are the real names of the attacks, I take back everything I just said, and now I'm sad.

Remember I was answering someone's else post: odds are both are going to be the real names of the attacks. If you're using Japanese cards, you'll just end up with "Fall Down" and "Get Serious"; the latter is still quite amusing since, ya know, Snorlax. :D

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Remember I was answering someone's else post: odds are both are going to be the real names of the attacks. If you're using Japanese cards, you'll just end up with "Fall Down" and "Get Serious"; the latter is still quite amusing since, ya know, Snorlax. :D
In Italian, Snorlax's Z Move is called something like "Time to get serious", they translated it from the original Japanese name and not from the English name of the move :D

Sevus

Aspiring Trainer
Wait, break as in ruin or break as in make it broken? At least I knew you didn't mean Pokémon BREAK. XD

I'll have to think about Snorlax GX. I mean, I don't really care for the GX mechanic, plus we'll see if it ends up being too good or not good enough. The 190 HP seems low.

Yes really: Snorlax doesn't have the highest HP in the video games, but I thought it had one of the better HP/DEF/S.DEF combinations, being one of the highest for HP (even after all this time still in the Top 10 for it), a good Defense and a solid Special Defense. No time to double check that stuff now though. XD

Since you didn't have time to double-check...

Snorlax has base 160 HP (6th best in the game), 110 Special Defense (putting it in the same SpD tier as Grumpig, Gothetelle, and Slowking) and...65 Defense (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Alakazam). And in Generation 1, its Special was also 65, meaning Snorlax wasn't very tanky on either side - it just had a massive reserve of HP to absorb hits with.

I think the perception of Snorlax as a physically defensive tank probably comes from Generation II, where Curse on Snorlax was ubiquitous.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
You know whats more disappointing than this card? Evolutions

all jokes aside, this card is actually kinda nice, but 210 damage for a GX move? if paired with lunala GX and hypno you can be hitting 190 with the second attack and keep doing it over and over again with 230 hp and with max elixir and dce can make this card workable

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Wow. They replaced EX cards with this? If these actually turn out to replace EXs, I'm quitting the TCG. They could have AT LEAST tried to make the card LOOK GOOD.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Meh, still don't like the new template... specially the borders, although that black line seems to be exclusive to the GX cards...

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Well if not, they'll probs be released as promos rather than in core expansions.

I'm only pondering because there are still 8/9 megas that don't exist yet, but yeah, they'd still need to be EXs.

Its the reason I don't think EX Pokemon are going anywhere. They will be around in standard for 2 or 3 years. They can break their rules with the card game but Z moves require an item to be held in the game, like the mega stone but in the TCG, the only requirement is you can only use one per game. With this I would like to see a buff to EX Pokemon or at least those that evolve.

It has access to Max Elixir so it's easy to get the first attack turn one in theory with A DCE Plus one successful Elixir.

E Hammer ruins the card. It would require a lot to get one going.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Since you didn't have time to double-check...

Snorlax has base 160 HP (6th best in the game), 110 Special Defense (putting it in the same SpD tier as Grumpig, Gothetelle, and Slowking) and...65 Defense (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Mega Alakazam). And in Generation 1, its Special was also 65, meaning Snorlax wasn't very tanky on either side - it just had a massive reserve of HP to absorb hits with.

I think the perception of Snorlax as a physically defensive tank probably comes from Generation II, where Curse on Snorlax was ubiquitous.

Remember we are also trying to compare it to a card already present: Wailord-EX. ;)

In the video games (as of Gen VI) Snorlax has a base HP value of 160. Above it are
  • Blissey (255)
  • Chansey (250)
  • Wobbuffet (190)
  • Wailord (170)
  • Alomola (165)
Now as I am specifically using Wailord-EX as a reference point, Wailord have a base Defense and Special Defense of 45. Snorlax have a base Defense of 65 and Base Special Defense of 110. So you are right; people get Snorlax wrong, though in my case its because I haven't worried about most of this stuff since Gen I or Gen II: I both swapped its Defense and Special Defense scores plus that Special Defense may have been a bit more impressive a couple hundred Pokémon ago. Even now Snorlax have the 73rd Highest Special Defense, including Mega Evolutions, alternate formes, etc. Not quite in the top 10%.

So again, getting back to my initial point a hypothetical Snorlax-EX probably ought to have near Wailord-EX level HP. If Pokémon-GX don't get any other bonus than their once-per-game attack, Snorlax-GX probably ought to be near or equal to Wailord-EX. Of course, if it turns out the attacks on Snorlax-GX are good enough that this would have been broken, then yeah they made the right call.

Queno138

Metal Balls Trainer
is no one going to talk about the fact that its a card with the standard curved edges,
and they decided to draw a ridged border on the card itself?

hope English release won't turn it back to the boring yellow colored border.

Preferred the silver holofoil border..

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
E Hammer ruins the card. It would require a lot to get one going.

So does Team Flare Grunt, Crushing Hammer, going on and on...

Most Decks will not run Three-Four Enhanced Hammers that's begging for it to be a dead card against non-special energy decks. If your worried about that Start with Regirock OMEGA slap all the energy on it then Ninja Boy to Snorlax and start flattening things. If your primary attack is going to have two colorless energies in it's attack especially with four or more you are playing DCE the majority of the time. Rare exceptions with something like Brilliant Arrow since you want as many Fairy on the Field instead of a DCE