Smogon August 2012 Statistics

The Yoshi

Wumbo
So we're one month away from tier changes, but nonetheless, the statistics are in for August. Everything can be found below, so go ahead and discuss.

I should start by saying that some of these statistics are very disappointing. The fact that Pokemon like Sandslash and Ambipom are being used more than Pokemon with more potential is not an accurate reflection of the meta game at all. Also Nidoqueen deserves the #1 spot in RU over Cofagrigus, but that's my opinion. Nidoqueen practically makes stall unusable on top of Shadow Tag Gothitelle. Speaking of Gothitelle, you guys can talk about Gothitelle here, as well as Garchomp, who may be moving down to OU soon (without Sand Veil).

Thanks for putting up these usage threads Yoshi, it really makes this information quicker and easier for lazy people like me to access. :D

Garchomp moving back to OU is very interesting, although removing Sand Veil contradicts some of the decisions made in the past with cases where the ability was the main factor in banning the Pokemon. I'm not against Garchomp moving back to OU, it's just not logical in how it's being implemented, I suppose.

The problem before is Garchomp couldn't be countered 100% of the time even with the right Pokemon simply because of a miss. That is the icing on the cake. The fact that it has the troll speed to get past base 100s along with a very usable Attack makes it likely that it won't last long in OU before it gets bumped back up.

Well yes but Blaziken without Speed Boost is hardly Ubers material-in fact its so outclassed by Infernape that it would likely be relegated to UU. Allowing non Sand Veil Chomp out of Ubers begs the question of why they aren't allowing similar things such as non Speed Boost Blaziken out.

Smogon simply unbanned Garchomp and added sand veil to the evasion clause. They cleverly avoided a complex band >.<

Virizion and Mew possibly falling down to UU is actually very surprising to me.
Does anybody know what was the main reason for this was? Was it due to TechniLoom being the superior Grass/Fighting physical attacker and Keldeo being favoured as the fighting special type on rain teams? I don't really know :3

The problem with Virizion is that it cannot handle Tornadus-T, where as Breloom at least has Stone Edge to handle it. Also, there's been more complex discussion about Virizion as a whole and if it meets standards, and clearly people aren't using it, so that's half the problem. Mew is just kind of bad in this meta game at the moment. Mew itself isn't bad, it's just it doesn't seem to fit in very well. I personally thought it was perfect in OU, but changes do have to be made I guess.

Mew doesn't have the typing to be really effective in OU... nor the speed. I mean it has potential and doesn't suck, but it really has nothing going for it other than Stall Breaker Mew and maybe Nasty Plot, but imo he's too slow to really pull NP off.

King Arceus said:
That is the icing on the cake. The fact that it has the troll speed to get past base 100s along with a very usable Attack makes it likely that it won't last long in OU before it gets bumped back up.

So many things are wrong with what you just said.

645-frame1.png
639_terrakion_front_norm.png

So many things.

I'll leave my full response on Garchomp and Sand Veil ban (ban is a weird word to use ... more like evasion clause addition) later. No, I do not think it's broken. Yes, I think it's good for the metagame.

Virizion sucks. SD is a bad Breloom, while CM has to use Focus Blast to actually do work lol. Virizion still has use against Tornadus-T lacking rain teams and sand, but that's about it.

Hmmm... so is chomp banned or not? I can't wait to use it, but I'll wait for the hype to go down to use it.

I haven't played BW2, but can somebody tell me why a titbanger like Landorus-T is used over Landors-I?

Cinesra said:
I haven't played BW2, but can somebody tell me why a apple juice slurper like Landorus-T is used over Landors-I?

ooh, lookie at teh noo Landyrus iso much cooler, MUST BE BETTOR.

Some people are using it as a defensive/offensive SRer, or a counter to things like Terrakion. Thats about it :/

Tried damage calcs, it's a terrible check for DD Terra. Is it really that good of a SR user to justify this much usage?

Cinesra said:
Tried damage calcs, it's a terrible check for DD Terra. Is it really that good of a SR user to justify this much usage?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: people like shiny new things don't you get it???

Also, does anyone think Lightningrod Zapdos and Volt Absorb Raikou will mean a huge dip in the popularity of Jolteon?

The Yoshi said:
Also, does anyone think Lightningrod Zapdos and Volt Absorb Raikou will mean a huge dip in the popularity of Jolteon?

Most likely yes, but Jolteon still has that niche of being faster than Tornadus-T.

The Yoshi said:

I'm pretty sure it will significantly affect Jolteon's usage to go down. Both have higher Special Attack and better defenses. I'm expecting Jolteon to go to UU. I don't feel Jolteon would be too overpowered for the tier.

Some minor things I notice from each tier:

| 14 | Genesect | 56245 | 10.455% | 49204 | 11.295% |
| 46 | Keldeo | 27190 | 5.054% | 20558 | 4.719% |
| 98 | Tornadus | 6148 | 1.143% | 4662 | 1.070% |

Genesect being #14 after only being released for a little bit is quite surprising, while I'm a little upset to see Keldeo so low. Tornadus is going to UU, no question.

| 21 | Ambipom | 11151 | 9.647% | 9934 | 10.365% |

Mienshao is in UU now, and yet people still use this piece of garbage more than the following: Porygon2, Shaymin, Suicune, Honchkrow. It's disappointing, really. Also things like Registeel, Dusclops, and Machamp need to move down because they are really terrible.

I'd probably do more for the lower tiers, but obviously everyone is scared of Cinccino in NU, and Sandslash should be NU, no question. Also disappointed that Tangela was one of the best Pokemon in NU and is now garbage because of Amoonguss. Also Zangoose needs more usage, and Metang needs to move down as well.

Ambipom and Mienshao are two different things lol. The only thing the same here is Fake Out, of which Ambipom has the strongest. Ambipom is also faster. Seriously, comparing Ambipom to Mienshao is like comparing Terrakion to Landorus.

I can't take you seriously when you say Registeel, Dusclops, and Machamp are terrible. Do you even play UU?

Sandslash is not bad. Where are you getting all of these opinions from? >_>

I hope you know Metang's usage is a joke ....

anyone doubting Landorus-T obviously has never played a game of BW2. It is by far the best offensive pivot in the game, easily laying down hazards while gaining momentum. It also keeps quite a few mons in check, such as Terrakion and Dragonite.

I do play UU. Ambipom sucks, Sandslash can't touch Ghosts, and Ambipom has nothing going for it other than a Technician boosted STAB Fake Out. Registeel, Machamp, and Dusclops are bad in their respective tiers, and I do know Metang's usage is a joke (see: Molk). Just because one person has a different opinion doesn't mean you have the right to bash them for it.

Back