Smeargle from Undaunted (#8) [9/15]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
8-smeargle.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. I think it can be a nice starter, but in the next format as we do have Sablye/Spiritomb which most prefer them

2. I do not think it is used in any meta deck except maybe in stage 2 decks to counter SP and use their Cyrus's against them.

3. I would use it in maybe a rouge deck that can somehow lock Supporters in the opponents hand, this is so that you can constantly use their Supporters at will.

4. I give it a 3/5 considering the fact that it is good, but just not this format

5. I do love the artwork, though I have seen better

Woot 1st! :)

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
-i personally think its a great starter. getting to use two supporters during your turn can really make a huge difference. also, it allows you to use supporters during your turn if you had to go first.

-not sure, deff not used for its attack though

-can be used nicely with mismagius UD to see their hand and deal damage appropriately. also, works great with flygon or dodrio so you can free retreat after you use its pokepower

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
3 stars. retreat cost is a bit heavy and its attack is utterly useless. also 1HKO with donphan

5. How's the artwork?
cute, like the green paint this time 4/5

1. Smeargle has potential as a starter, but Sableye and spirtimob easily out class it. It's power is interesting though, and may see play in a rogue deck.
2. None, but there is no metagame. Again, probably a rogue deck.
3. It's a starter, so it doesn't exactly combo.
4. 3/5, it's a good card, but out classed easily. Which is too bad.
5. 5/5 So cute! I love Smeargle.

1.) Smeargle is just nice to me. It doesn't provide any guarantee, but it's nice if your opponent has the Pokemon Collector. I prefer Sableye and Spiritomb, but Smeargle will still see play.
2. None. It would be a tech, and no more than such.
3.) Nyeh. You can't really combo this with anything, but you're lucky if you play it against a high-Supporter deck such as VileGar.
4.) It's just OK. 2.5/5.
5.) Cool picture. I like how there's two of 'em.

As a lot of other people have already said, the card is mainly only usable as a starter if the opponent has a Supporter card. But with a format involving both Spiritomb and Sableye, it won't be a very popular choice.

Since Smeargle is a card from a new set and the current 2010-2011 metagame hasn't really been established yet, it is really hard to tell if this card is going to be used much or even at all. But I think this card could be used as a potential starter.

I teched a Smeargle into my Glistomb deck, so when I pick up Gliscor I can send up Smeargle to use Portrait at the beginnig of my next turn. Smeargle has been a nice addition to my deck so far and could possibly be paired with other decks that hit and switch like Cursegar.

I think it is somewhat underrated, but for a reason. 70 HP is not a lot, having Smeargle be Active is a pain and there is always a chance your opponent won't have a Supporter card in their hand. 3/5

5. How's the artwork?
Personally, I'm a really big fan of Smeargle and it is a nice holo so I give it: 4/5

On its own, not very well, however it does have the potential as a starter, assuming fortune is in your favor. I could see it being useful in some decks.
None that I've seen. It probably won't become popular for a while, and by the time Sableye and Spiritomb are rotated out something better may have appeared.
Not really a good card for a combo, more for support and set up more than anything else.
2/5. Really disappointing that it has to be active. Now that Telepass is out of the picture, this seemed like it could work it out. However the active requirement somewhat throws a wrench in that strategy.
5. How's the artwork?
4/5 Cute. Detailed. But it needs to be painting something.

Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

1. On its own, this card is to me a double-edged sword. It's only okay as a starter, and incredibly situational. In some cases, it can be a dangerous gamble. This is especially true against disruption decks like Sableye, which are gaining in popularity. You could start with an awesome hand and play Portrait, only to find that your opponent's only Supporter is going to have you shuffling your hand into your deck. Sableye seems superior in every way - no weakness, excellent resistance, dependency upon your *own* Supporters (no room for surprises), potential to donk, extra supporter can't be sprayed, etc. With Sableye in-format, I see no reason to play easy bait like Smeargle.

2. None that I'm aware of. If it sees play, it would only be for non-SP decks.

3. There's really nothing with which to combo this, although you'd *need* to tech in Unown Q, SSU or something to get this guy out of the active position and prevent an easy KO.

4. 1/5. This card IMO is nearly worthless, for the reasons stated above.

5. 3/5 Meh. Artwork is cute, but I prefer artwork that displays the power/prowess of my Pokémon.

Guiding questions:
Good, and think it has some potential.
I heard someone say it works in LuxChomp, but I don't know
3. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
7/10

amazing, could be a seriously big card in Sable-lock, Gyarados even Lux-chomp

I have actually already seen builds in a Gyarados deck and a consideration for sable-lock

by starting with Smeargle first turn you have the potential to play two supporters by retreating into Sableye, unless you opponent sable starts in which case you have the potential to use three supporters with either a Jirachi or Sableye in combination of the Smeargle and normal supporter for the turn, talk about fas setup and card control great in Gyarados and it could wreck sable mirrors.

honestly it has one retreat which to me is its only downfall it would either require warps energy, switches unown q etc. Though its only downfall could cause you to set up one turn sooner or even Cyrus three times in a turn putting all their cards to the bottom of their deck honestly I give this card a
4.5/5

5. How's the artwork?
could care less .

On its own, its attack is bad and is not where it has merit. Would it be worth playing a Smeargle rush deck? No.

Luxchomp, Sablelock, Dialgachomp, other SP variants, maybe even some S1/S2 decks.

Easily combo'd with Unown Q and Poke Turn, to take advantage of extra Supporter use. Excellent in SP mirror. Anything that switchs (Warp Point, Switch, etc.) are all good ways of abusing multiple Portraits.

5/5 This is the best card in Undaunted, and one of the best in the format. It is proven to work amazingly in SP decks, and frankly I'm surprised people on here think it's not competitive. Mark my words, this card will be at the top tables for many years to come.

5. How's the artwork?

I guess it's ok.

All right, now we finally get to review an awesome card, and this card is also my favorite from Undaunted: Smeargle!

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Already by looking at this card, Smeargle isn't meant to be on its own. It is a bad attacker, I mean, look at it. 20 for two, and you could do a potential 40 with 2 coin flips. That's just too risky, and it hits low too. Yet, despite the bad attack, it has an excellent Poke-power. If is your active Pokemon, you can look at your opponent's hand, and if they have a supporter card there, you can use the supporter card's effect as an effect of the power. That's literally amazing! You have the potential to use cards like Cyrus or Bebe's this way. Indeed, Smeargle might not be the best card on its own, but it definitely has a lot of potential, and it is really worth playing.

From what I have seen, it can be used in any deck, but as of now, the card does the best in Luxchomp. Smeargle works very well in this deck because it helps big time in the mirror. Basically, in Luxchomp, it works like this. After your opponent KOs the active, you pull out Smeargle to see if you can use a supporter. If they have a supporter, like Cyrus, you can use it in a way like your playing a second supporter in one turn. Due to this, it can really increase the chance of a comeback, which explains why Smeargle is so good.

As mentioned, I would use in a way similar to how it is used now, but as for a combo, it would probably have to be Unown Q. Smeargle has a 1 in retreat cost, but if you put an Unown Q on it, its retreat cost is dropped to 0. This can make Smeargle much easier to use (since it has to be active to use the power), and in fact, you probably need the Unown Q on it all the time as it should go up to the active spot then the bench pretty quickly.

4. Give it a rating and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give Smeargle a 5/5. Despite the HP equivalence of the regular Uxie and the bad attack, Smeargle is really an amazing card, and that is all thanks to the Poke-power. It literally lets you play a 2nd supporter on one turn, and that is something very good. It can even increase the chances of comeback if played with Unown Q after a KO. Indeed, Smeargle is just one awesome card, and perhaps it may be the new Claydol, and I can imagine this card being teched in many decks in the coming future. No wonder this is the best card in Undaunted.

5. How's the artwork?

I guess it looks cute, especially on how both Smeargles look rather curious. In fact, my favorite part of the artwork is that they put more than one Smeargle into it. It's also nice to say many Pokemon in one card!:)

Back