SM9 'Tag Volt,' Japan's December Set!

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
Can be immensely powerful, probably the strongest tag team yet, but OTOH we have a meta deck right now based around 0 card hands. Really neat GX move too, also gives up 3 prizes to a full bench riotous beating. Mixed feelings but it looks like the best tag team yet, they won't *all* have impractically high energy costs, and I think it'll see play.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I actually think Gengar+Mimikyu might be used in Zoroark Control for the GX attack (with Rainbow Energy).

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
time to depend on rotom here though yet again that might not be the best idea, it could work or you will lose quickly if they figure out what your doing. but that would be for Garbodor too all im saying is this is gonna be weird to play against for me.

gema5

Aspiring Trainer
Gengar is awesome. GX+ is a nasty setup to blowing damage for low energy cost, while locking your opponent from doing stuff. Gives us an excelent combo with late game garbodor for galactic damage outputs, and can use weakness policy or play 2-3 babybuzz to counter zoroarks easily.

Strategy should be:
1) GX+ for forcing your opponent to have a lost turn and full hand (most 7cards hands are 4 trainers, except for some rayquaza variants I guess).
2) build up your garbodorized bench while hitting for big numbers with poltergeist (specially after GX+)
3) once gengar is gone, your opponent should've discarded lots of trainers to minimize Poltergeist's damage. Now it's time to 1 energy/1prize 160+dmg trashlanche every turn.

Obs: Zoroark really causes problems, so I can see a psychic/fighting deck being very viable, considering that these 'mons dont need much energy to attack, something that hits for 100-120 would be an awesome partner for darkness matches(lycanroc, for example).

gema5

Aspiring Trainer
And for Tauros...
BDIF:
4 Tauros
4 TaurosX
2 Trubbish
2 Garbodor

or

4 Tauros
4 TaurosX
3 Magikarp
3 Gyarados (that one who puts damage on your bench).

You choose: fightning types coverage or full assault mode.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
oh. boy. another. poltergeist. card. Really though this is a great card, definitely will see play. Im just not sure how much better it is that the GRI Trevenat with poltergeist, being that that is a single prize attacker with a slightly weaker attack that can be used for a DCE

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
I just noticed that due to how attacks are always worded, these Tag Team Pokemon are somewhat grammatically incorrect when they say "this Pokemon" instead of "this Tag Team" or "these Pokemon."

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
easy 1 of for malamar decks that play marshadow but other than that it's just kidna meh, poltergeist was okay on guardians rising trevenant since we had ancient origins vileplume but that wasn't the best thing ever anyway. idk it seems like the worst tag team revealed so far but it's also not obviously bad.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
If there is anything to say about the Tag Team Design, I'm glad that they are not made to make a deck solely around, but one to place in existing archtypes as 1-2 techs. For instance, Venusaur/Celebi is more an alt-attacker for a Venusaur deck, rather than replacing Genesect altogether. One could add a Cherrim to nullify its weakness, but still a 3 price attacker is a risk to put down regardless of weakness.

Same with Gengar/Mimikyu - Even against a non-dark deck, you would have to be cautious to mindlessly bench it, however powerful it might be - and its attacks are quite nasty. 3 prizes is forever a risk to be had.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah with Zoroark Gx being out there for one more rotation it will be hard to see use for Gengar with that 3 card hit for KO. But the idea of stalling your opponent turn one and 50 x items is really good. Also why did they give 2 retreat cost, should be one or none for how speedy Gengar is and doesn't have as much bulk as Wailord and Venusaur.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Fun card but Zoroark can take 3 prizes in one hit so no thanks
Just play weakness policy. Or, play this in Malamar so that you can discard this and use marshadow, which both hits for weakness and doesn’t lose three prizes if KO’d later.

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Just play weakness policy. Or, play this in Malamar so that you can discard this and use marshadow, which both hits for weakness and doesn’t lose three prizes if KO’d later.
Your opponent could just Field Blower and I would honestly rather be using Dark Flash or Prismatic Burst which is way more consistent than Poltergeist, besides it's not worth playing in Gaskan if you have the chance to start it against Zoroark with your opponent immediately being able to take 3 prizes

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
T1 Horror House GX could be really annoying for some decks like (insert evolution deck here). Prevents one whole turn of needed speed. (snipe the alolan vulpixes)

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Your opponent could just Field Blower and I would honestly rather be using Dark Flash or Prismatic Burst which is way more consistent than Poltergeist, besides it's not worth playing in Gaskan if you have the chance to start it against Zoroark with your opponent immediately being able to take 3 prizes
Again, like I said, if it’s used in Malamar as a one or two of, it could be used by marshadow. Also, field blower is not currently being played, due to hw innefective against stadiums it is, and not many decks play it. If anything, a one of. And for consistency, I used limitlesstcg to check the last two tournaments, the LAIC and the Roanoke regionals. In the decklists given, the lowest trainer count was Robin Schulz’s gardevoir list, which I have tested and added a few more for consistency. On average, most lists had 33-34 trainers, with quite a few 37s the highest amount was 49. If you do some calculations, it shows that for the average deck that there is a 1 in 2 chance of a random card being a trainer card. With average hand size around 6, that’s about 3 trainers per hand on average, which is 150 damage for Gengar and mimikyu. Those odds are just aided by the GX.

FacepalmMaster

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
I feel like the only reason the English versions are being revealed so soon are that the main target for these cards is young kids not in Japan. kids in America all seem to like high hp cool looking basics that do a lot of damage, and that's what the tag team GX's are, compared to kids in japan, the do not seem to be the same way.