SM7a 'Fairy Rise' Announced!

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Personally my gut intuition says that Zoroark GX is going to see a bit of reduced play because the loss of Brigette actually affects the deck's ability to build up damage, not just its ability to get set up. Pokemon Fan Club is a sore replacement for Brigette, and spamming Nest Ball in the deck consumes a bit of space. In some ways, I feel that Naganadel GX has power crept the function of Zoraork GX as an attacker, not only because of hitting for Psychic weakness (such as Buzzwole), but also because it has the benefit of Ultra Space to feed Pokemon onto the bench that gives it more consistency than Zoroark GX in a Brigette-less format. I think instead of 4/4 Zoroark GX with a 3/2 partner, it'll be flipped around to see a 4/3 main attacker with a 2/2 to 3/3 Zoroark GX line for Trade's consistency. Zoroark GX/Magcargo GX is one such upcoming deck that I think this applies to. Perhaps Alolan Ninetales GX (fairy) with Zoroark GX to Beacon for Pokemon and Item search for Nest/Ultra Ball while giving you Dragon type coverage (UNGX/Ray) and instant UB OHKOs is also not a half bad idea.

That being said, there will still be plenty of Zoroark GX to Guzma up and OHKO, but if Zoroark GX is not going to be the one applying pressure directly as the main attacker, then there may be less value in doing that, just like how people don't really just swing at Leles for 2 "free prizes" since it doesn't interupt your opponent at all.

On the flip side, Parallel City is going away, so that could be seen as a huge green light for Zoroark GX to take the stage.

We'll see, really. The upcoming format is pretty interesting to me. I think there are a lot of good options, and honestly my favorite part of a meta is when it's still being figured out. I think all of the major current rotation decks stand a reasonable chance and there is a lot of room for upcoming decks to compete.

I agree with you, for the most part.
Though, I feel Zoroark's ability will still make it a top tier deck.

Mainly, because in a meta with less draw supporters, Zoroark's ability becomes an even greater asset.
Getting one Zoroark-GX, can often times snowball into getting the others set-up; especially with Mallow.

While Pokemon Fan Club is one less Pokemon, it has the added benefit of being able to grab Lele.
Though, the absence of Brigette is also the reason why I feel Buzzwole will stay relevant; since it can OHKO Zorua easily.

At this point, It's hard to make an accurate guess.
I remember a lot of people speculating how bad our non-Trainer Mail/VS Seeker meta would be...
and it turned out better than expected.

Just have to wait, and play it~

EDIT:
Beadt ring and Beast Energy aren’t replacements. Beast energy is 1 per deck. And Beast Ring removes all the early game pressure that you can have. Which was Buzzy’s greatest strength

Buzzwole still has early game.
Don't underestimate 30/60(CB) damage + 30 to the bench.

That's what made it so good in the first place.
GX Pokemon need to evolve.
Buzzwole will always exploit low-hp basics.

I remember when people were saying "ban beast ring," and now I'm hearing Buzzwole's a bad deck... What a world.

Last edited:

Michael Stadler

Aspiring Trainer
Buzzwole won't become Bad, but it Stiller loose à lot of his tools. I like it, buzzwole is (in my opinion) the main reason why slow decks didn't work. Anyway if I remember well Zoroark performed better than buzzwole recently right?

aPOLLo

Deck Build Help
Field Blower will need to be played more often.

Now there is 3 in my Ray deck instead of 1.

Gardevoir GX decks will be OP.

Alolan Ninetales to join, with baby gardeciir and the fairy charms too.

What else can they do?

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
  1. That's exactly my point. Buzzwole was too consistent for Brigette; a staple in many decks.
  2. The card serves the same purpose, actually. It accelerates energy for Knuckle Impact/Swing Around.
  3. Yes, you get 1 Beast Energy. That's 1 more damage boosting energy, than any non-beast deck.
The deck lost cards, as is the case with every other deck.
Again Buzzwole now lacks the early game. Buzzwole used to be able to easily kill any Pokemon in the game On the first turn it can attack. Now it can’t kill any non-weak basic without Beast Energy. Even then you can’t ohko things like Froakie. Also, other decks didn’t lose crucial cards. Zoroark lost Brigette but gets Dunsparce, who achieves the EXACT same thing. But that’s all Zoroark loses that’s important. Buzzwole has no perfect replacement for any of these, as the replacements are much worse than they were before, unlike Dunsparce

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Field Blower will need to be played more often.

Now there is 3 in my Ray deck instead of 1.

Gardevoir GX decks will be OP.

Alolan Ninetales to join, with baby gardeciir and the fairy charms too.

What else can they do?

I don't know if I'd toss in the towel that easily. I don't know if Japan just doesn't like Gardevoir GX, but I think that with Ray GX recently doing as well as it did over there, you would expect to see at least some fairy up there as well to counter it. Maybe people just weren't expecting to see that much Rayquaza GX at that particular event, and perhaps later on in Japan we'll see Fairy take over with the release of this new set - we'll have to see.

In my opinion, as long as there's strong metal Pokemon presence (Stakataka GX, Solgaleo GX, saw a few Genesect GX decks in Japan too), Fairy still has nothing to trade very well against their weakness whereas Ray GX can simply outspeed a Stage 2 like Gardy with energy acceleration. Alolan Ninetales (fairy) benefits Solgaleo GX just as much as it benefits Gardevoir GX as they are both Stage 2s sorely in need of Rare Candy, so in all honesty this Fairy-themed expansion is in some ways making Fairy's life even harder by helping out Solgaleo GX at the same time.

To me, this seems like a reverse situation of when Weakness Policy was a big consideration for Gardevoir GX decks due to Metagross GX. Running some of these Fairy Charms will give you a leg up in specific match ups vs Psychic, Fighting, and Dragon (if you can find room for all 3 in a single deck), but it leaves your #1 auto-loss condition wide open - metal. Weakness Policy was the opposite where you dedicated 3-4 deck spaces just to prevent yourself from auto-losing, and that ended up not working due to the overall shape of the meta. And as I mentioned previously, if everyone jumped on the fairy bandwagon again, then these charms have no use in the mirror match either. If Fairy took over, I don't think people would use Fighting/Psychic/Dragon to try and beat them. They would use Metal, I'd like to assume. Fighting & Psychic just happen to be big right now thanks to the relationship of Psychic > Buzzwole > Zoroark in terms of the weakness chain.

Before anyone calls Gardy OP, I'd like to see a Gardy/Alolan Ninetales or Gardy/Sylveon list that actually has room to run these charms without ruining its consistency and can beat most Metal decks.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Not a fan of the Fairy Charms. They do look nice on paper but all the decks that are inteded to be the focus of this defense cards will run a noticeable number of non-GX attackers who can still hit the carrier of the charms. Adventure Bag on the other hand can find a home in some decks as a tech card.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Again Buzzwole now lacks the early game. Buzzwole used to be able to easily kill any Pokemon in the game On the first turn it can attack. Now it can’t kill any non-weak basic without Beast Energy. Even then you can’t ohko things like Froakie. Also, other decks didn’t lose crucial cards. Zoroark lost Brigette but gets Dunsparce, who achieves the EXACT same thing. But that’s all Zoroark loses that’s important. Buzzwole has no perfect replacement for any of these, as the replacements are much worse than they were before, unlike Dunsparce

Are you... Comparing Dunsparce to Brigette, and saying it's not worse?
Wild.

Maybe if Brigette ended your turn, yeah.
But using a supporter to set up, is far better than using an attack.

Dunsparce is also OHKOd by Jet Punch, but, uh...
"No early game," right?

Also...
RlYjRf7.png

Hi, here's 20 damage.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Wild.

"No early game," right?

Also...
RlYjRf7.png

Hi, here's 20 damage.
Just move Dunsparce to the bench with Strike and Run. Also, at least now you get a draw support T1. I actually prefer Dunsparce over Brigette. I mean Zoro doesn’t even attack T1 anyway.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Or, now just hear me out on this one...
It could be, that Buzzwole became such a dominant presence in the meta, that literally every single top 8 deck is either Psychic type, or features a tech Psychic attacker.

Buzzwole is a great deck. Period.
I didn't think that was up for discussion, but it seems I was wrong there.

Zoroark-GX is the most consistent card in the format.
Buzzwole hits it for weakness.

However, Zoroark could easily tech in a Mew-EX and OHKO Buzzwole with just a DCE.
Mew-EX is rotating, and the remaining tech attackers are not as strong (Latios is the likely choice).

See:

Or:
I disagree with them, too. Sorry to sink your boat, but not every single top 8 deck was a psychic deck. For example, In 2nd place was Tord Recklev, using Pure zoroark, and 3rd place was a zoroark golisopod. Now, buzzwole is a great deck, I do agree, but buzzwole was once at the top of the format, and when you’re at the top, the only way to go is down. Now, I would thing zoroark is the 2nd most consistent card in the format, trailing behind Tapu Lele, but maybe I’m wrong, though I don’t think so on this point.
Finally, There are actually some very strong techs that are in the near future. For example, there is a deoxys arriving in celestial storm that is almost EXACTLY like the mewtwo sometimes used to counter buzzwole. There is also a new grumpig coming out, that by using ditto prism star and a choice band OHKOs buzzwole. Overall, there are some good counters in the near future, and buzzwole is losing the consistency you have been talking about, and so is zoroark, so after rotation it is going to take a lot for buzzwole and zoroark to gain a spot in the meta game again.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Wild.

"No early game," right?

Also...
RlYjRf7.png

Hi, here's 20 damage.
Again, if you haven’t heard it the last few times, BUZZWOLE IS LOSING CONSISTENCY! And dunsparce, um, I don’t know, MOVES TO THE BENCH IN THE SAME ATTACK! besides, just play Pokémon fan club for the time being. It does almost the same thing, just one Pokémon less. And no early game is correct. Unless you play that prism star aiding supporter that allows you to find two prism star cards and put them in your hand, your probably not getting the OHKO on basics you normally want. Accept it, Buzzwole just isn’t having the consistency to get the first turn KOs it’s used to post rotation. And for draw support for buzzwole, say bye bye to octillery

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Yah I was getting worried because all these people were saying that duncparce is our setup replacement but the chances of you even starting with are slim and pokemon fan club is betting.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Just move Dunsparce to the bench with Strike and Run. Also, at least now you get a draw support T1. I actually prefer Dunsparce over Brigette. I mean Zoro doesn’t even attack T1 anyway.

Again, if you haven’t heard it the last few times, BUZZWOLE IS LOSING CONSISTENCY! And dunsparce, um, I don’t know, MOVES TO THE BENCH IN THE SAME ATTACK!

Hi, you seem to be overrating a card, while underrating another.
Consider:
Dunsparce requires you to attach an energy, and attack.
It cannot be done turn1.

If Buzzwole goes second, it OHKOs Dunsparce, before it does anything.
For one energy.
and, unlike Zoroark, it will be running many basic energy; making this objectively more reliable than Dunsparce.

Also Consider:
What are you moving to the active, to replace Dunsparce?
You can't move a Zorua, because again, it will be OHKO'd.

Assuming Latios, that means your counter is taking free damage, and you still get the 30 to the bench.
You will not be OHKOing Buzzwole-GX...
and Buzzwole can Guzma up a Zorua, OHKO it, while KOing the other one you placed 30 damage on.

Also, also:
but not every single top 8 deck was a psychic deck.
I said, Psychic, or tech Psychic attacker.
Which is correct.

Here in Tord's list, we can see he is running Mew-EX:
x5XwI57.png

Gen Cario

Aspiring Trainer
Fighting will still be relevant trainers. Even though Post rotation it loses it acceleration and extra damage, fighting still has support. Whether the extra Ultra Beast boost, Zoro's weakness, and players are testing other alternatives to make the decks viable for competition. This just means a few tweaks need to be made. I am glad this is coming AFTER Worlds lol.

4restfyre

Aspiring Trainer
I can’t be the only one that’s confused on these charms. We’re getting Fightng, Dragon, and Fairy, but they all protect Fairy, not Dragon or Fighting with their respective charms? Am I the only one who’s bothered by this?

vyolet127

Aspiring Trainer
Anyone else notice that they kept the Pokémon-EX in the clause? It means that they are keeping their eyes on expanded as well, right? Since all Pokémon EX would have rotated by the time this set is released?

Michael Stadler

Aspiring Trainer
Anyone else notice that they kept the Pokémon-EX in the clause? It means that they are keeping their eyes on expanded as well, right? Since all Pokémon EX would have rotated by the time this set is released?
I think it's just to be sure that GX are better than EX even with those "GX and EX counters" so that people buy GX to replace their EX xP

Last edited:

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Consider:
It cannot be done turn1.

For one energy.
and, unlike Zoroark, it will be running many basic energy; making this objectively more reliable than Dunsparce.

Also Consider:

Assuming Latios, that means your counter is taking free damage, and you still get the 30 to the bench.
and Buzzwole can Guzma up a Zorua, OHKO it, while KOing the other one you placed 30 damage on.

Also, also:

Which is correct.

x5XwI57.png
1. Dunsparce can completely go turn one, just take second. Or is that considered second turn. Either way, your opponent can’t attack, therefore allowing you to use dunsparce safely.
2. The problem with that is you’re suggesting that zoroark is the only deck that will be using that. Zoroark might be using Bridgette most, but lots of other decks use it in general. Plus, rarely is zoroark run alone. Tord Reklev was the first person to run it by itself and get a high placing. Overall, most zoroark variants, like zoroark garbodor and zoroark golisopod are forced to run basic energy to charge their main attackers, and this energy can be put on dunsparce.
3. It says you MAY switch dunsparce out. Not that you have to. Honestly, just using the attack and then letting it get KOd is fine, as that saves your zorua a turn.
4. Why are you assuming Latios? Their are good counters arriving soon that should replace the current ones.
5. Half the time, you have trouble setting up your buzzwole counter, and in most situations you are forced to fight with your main attackers.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Fighting will still be relevant trainers. Even though Post rotation it loses it acceleration and extra damage, fighting still has support. Whether the extra Ultra Beast boost, Zoro's weakness, and players are testing other alternatives to make the decks viable for competition. This just means a few tweaks need to be made. I am glad this is coming AFTER Worlds lol.
Honestly, I don’t know if what buzzwole has left is enough. Maybe zygarde will have a chance, but that’s even slimmer. And zoroark might lose most of its spot in the meta too, with what it’s losing.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
Consider:
It cannot be done turn1.

For one energy.

Also Consider:

Also, also:

Which is correct.

x5XwI57.png
Also, how did we get to talking about dunsparce as a new Bridgette in a fairy chat?