Skyfield

daviduk2000

Aspiring Trainer
I cannot wait for this card I seriously think this is the single card that will shake up the game the most.
The combos

Colress for 16
Raichu and florges ex get a huge power boost. Mega rayquaza obviously
Ninetales PC for the security

Any other good possibilies ive overlooked

Skyfield - stadium - each players max bench size becomes 8

It also gives huge room space for decks like Crobot+Lugia+Deoxys, and you can possibly use it to discard poke for nightmarch decks easier, but IDK.

A card like this would allow so many varriations in decks like any tool box deck. Virizion EX, Darkrai EX, 2 aromotisse, new Regirock with omega barrier, Mr. Mime, Yvelatal EX, M manectric EX all on the bench with M Rayqueza EX active.

4 aurorus on the bench plus 4 of new rhyperior. All damage to water pokemon reduced by 120 haha. Give em a hard charm make it 140

I honestly think this card is an overhyped card.
8 on the bench in theory seems great, but I don't think I'd devote 2-4 spots in my deck to add probaby 1-2 more pokemon onto by bench. It also would be bad even with Ninetails because Wobbuffet and Garb exist, which would probably see more play if Skyfield decks become popular. I just would hate to think of a strategy revolving around 8 benched pokemon, and if so I'd hate to have to discard 3 of them because my opponent slapped down another stadium.
That being said, I can see a few uses for this card. 1 being in aromatisse obviously, I always never have enough room on my bench for techs, so it gives the option to run darkrai/keldeo and still have spots left over. I also could see maybe a spot for it in Donphan, as you can easily play down all your techs and if your opponent counters the stadium you can discard techs that aren't great for the matchup or robo subs. I also see some potential in Plasma variants, which then could have 4 Deoxys, 2 Thundy, 2 Kyurem, and 1 Absol in play (which would be really good with the stadium). Lastly I think Yveltal might prefer this over Laserbank/Shadow Circle just cause they tend to fill up on bench space quickly and sometimes need another spot or two for a keldeo or mewtwo or etc.
Also Colress will be insane with this card, but it really depends when there is a line to drawing TOO many cards. Its possible to deck out with a 16 card hand so I'd be weary of misplaying with it, but a draw 16 is pretty godly in any TCG game so I'd probably run 2-3 with many VS seekers if I ran this card.
I don't really see empoleon becoming big again as I expect many people who try to ride on the Ninetails/Skyfield hypetrain will get obliterated by Toad/Garb in the future.

I could see running this card in a varrient with garbador in a big basics type deck. With the colorless M rayqueza EX and other cheap attackers so you dont have to run to many different types of energy.

Honestly, I think I may have over-hyped this card a bit. The best thing it can be used in is Bronzong and other decks that need to dedicate spots to stackable abilities (Slurpuff comes to mind). However, the drawback of having to discard the Pokemon you put in play once it's removed is so bad, that you're pretty much required to use it with Ninetales, which takes a LOT of deck space.

Skyfield will defenitely see play, and it's the card I look forward to most from the new set, but I don't know if it's going to be as game-changing as I used to think. Also, I have concerns on how this card is going to be implemented in TCGO and if playmats will have to start coming out in larger variants. I personally would sort my Bench spaces in a 2x4 grid, but that's just me.

The issue I see is this: at what point does that bench become... well, useful? Having a huge bench is great, in theory; but in execution, it's really just some more Lysandre targets. 5 Bench is enough to work with in my opinion; 8... that's becoming a bit much.

I see concern with the discarding portion of the card, but don't you get to pick which cards you send? This would allow you to get rid of some snipeable targets, like Jirachi EX or something with a large amount of damage without giving your opponent prizes.

DarkMatterGaming said:
The issue I see is this: at what point does that bench become... well, useful? Having a huge bench is great, in theory; but in execution, it's really just some more Lysandre targets. 5 Bench is enough to work with in my opinion; 8... that's becoming a bit much.
Lysandre targets are no diff. More often than not, your opponent will go for an original target that would be the same with 5 bench.

bbninjas said:
DarkMatterGaming said:
Lysandre targets are no diff. More often than not, your opponent will go for an original target that would be the same with 5 bench.

Well, why have more bench if you aren't going to use it? If my opponent plays down an easy target and another Lysandre target isn't a total priority, I'd go for that; with 3 extra Pokemon, it may make it easier or harder to decide that. More often then not, the low hanging prizes are ones just put down.

Most of the time, the best Lysandre target would have already been placed down - the biggest threat. The point of more bench is for things like the new Rayquaza-EX, Raichu XY, Florges or Zoroark DEX, or for space for techs.

bbninjas said:
Most of the time, the best Lysandre target would have already been placed down - the biggest threat. The point of more bench is for things like the new Rayquaza-EX, Raichu XY, Florges or Zoroark DEX, or for space for techs.

A weakened threat is still that - a weakened threat. If I have choice between a weakened Toad and a fresh Toad that has nothing on it, I'd go for the Fresh toad if only for solace that it's not going to come up after this next one.

That's another thing I don't like about this conceptually - will Pokemon ratios change, or will they stay somewhat static? I can see the concept of this card working... somewhat well, but something about it just doesn't fit well with me.

Overhyped. Fairies won't want to play it 'cuz they are better off with Fairy Garden. Yveltal is better off with Shadow Circle/Virbank, I think that only decks like M Rayquaza EX and Empoleon will like that

If Skyfield is destroyed/replaced, who goes first in removing the exceeding Pokémon from bench? Does the Japanese version of the card specify that?

Elbow said:
8 on the bench in theory seems great, but I don't think I'd devote 2-4 spots in my deck to add probaby 1-2 more pokemon onto by bench. It also would be bad even with Ninetails because Wobbuffet and Garb exist, which would probably see more play if Skyfield decks become popular. I just would hate to think of a strategy revolving around 8 benched pokemon, and if so I'd hate to have to discard 3 of them because my opponent slapped down another stadium.

In essence all kinds of decks with "do the wave"-like attackers, which deal damage based on the amount of benched Pokémon can benefit from this stadium card. Here is a list of attackers that come to mind:

Absol
Shiftry
Raichu
Empoleon
Florges Ex
M Rayquaza Ex

The main idea would be to run Skyfield in decks that revolve around these attackers with a few tech Pokémon such as Shaymin Ex and Jirachi Ex. No ninetales needed since you want to sacrifice these tech Pokémon once their abilities have been used and they served as bench fillers for the attackers listed above.

Dark Espeon said:
Elbow said:

In essence all kinds of decks with "do the wave"-like attackers, which deal damage based on the amount of benched Pokémon can benefit from this stadium card. Here is a list of attackers that come to mind:

Absol
Shiftry
Raichu
Empoleon
Florges Ex
M Rayquaza Ex

The main idea would be to run Skyfield in decks that revolve around these attackers with a few tech Pokémon such as Shaymin Ex and Jirachi Ex. No ninetales needed since you want to sacrifice these tech Pokémon once their abilities have been used and they served as bench fillers for the attackers listed above.
I feel that if you planned on running a deck that ran based off of 'do the wave attacks,' your opponent wouldn't play down as many benched pokemon. In theory, Absol can be doing 180 with the new stadium without a muscle band/deoxys, but thats all assuming that your opponent even wants to bench 8 benched pokemon. Even in decks like empoleon, you are hoping that you have 9 pokemon and your opponent has 9 pokemon for that 'magical' 180 damage kicker (or less with bands I guess), but if your opponent knows anything about how 'do the wave' decks work I doubt that the will bench any more then 5 with the stadium out. I'm not really going to include shiftry because while it has a better empoleon attack (20x all benched), the stage 2 combined with a 3 energy attack kills its playability for me.
I DO think that Raichu and Florges benefit from this a lot, because they are purely based off your own bench size and aren't stage 2 based. Florges now goes from an 120 max to a 180 max...which is right on the money! This also can now give viability to more bench sitters like XY slurpuff and klefki, which are great bench sitters for a fairy deck. Also, because of Raichu's adaptability in many decks, his usefulness is bigger when he can start dealing 160 damage, which perfect for 180 damage. He will also help a lot in the next format with all of the 'flying' *ahem I mean colorless* types.

EDIT: But I do want to point out that ANY fairy deck that wants to run with Skyfield over Skyarrow...I mean Fairy Garden ...Then they will have to make some serious adjustments to how they want their deck to work.

Elbow said:
But I do want to point out that ANY fairy deck that wants to run with Skyfield over Skyarrow...I mean Fairy Garden ...Then they will have to make some serious adjustments to how they want their deck to work.

I would see a deck that revolves around Florges Ex with Muscle Band and Iris. It would also need to run a decent Slurpuff count.

Back