Ruling Shuffling question

MysteryE

Character Illustrator
I want to ask about this shuffle stuff.
I never join any tournament and stuff so I don't really know how to shuffle properly.
sometimes this's happen when I play with my brother or his friends.
We always rearrange our cards in our deck before we play our first game.
Then, we shuffle the deck, well, I think we shuffle it normally. But I dunno why, sometimes, our very first hand (7 cards) already a Pokemon line in it. example like this: water, water, water, poliwag, poliwhirl, politoed EX, supporter. What a luck, if I may say.

the questions are:
1. Do we have to shuffle it properly so the cards will be really shuffled, I mean, those example above won't happen? Because, well, sometimes it's annoying if opponent get something like that in his/her first hand while I got really random cards in my very first hand.
2. Is it a MUST, that, before we start the game, we shuffle opponent deck??? So, if they get a good cards like the example above, it's my own fault because I didn't shuffle it right.
3. Do we have to scattered the cards before we play a game so it won't get in line?

Sorry, I think it's kinda silly, but it annoys me, I lose/win sometimes because of this.

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO
But if your opponent ask to shuffle your deck, let him/her do it, cause if you don't let hm/her do it, bad things may happen. And it would be vise to not rearenge the cards before match.

For me, I would love to shuffle the opponents deck so that they can't do any tuning.

I personally love to do that 'cause I can shuffle up the card I'm searching for up to the top of the deck.....some sort like SMOOTH OVER.

Since I know the trick, there must be someone else know it too. So, shuffling the opponents deck can reduce the possibilities that your opponents get their needed cards....

Is not cheathing but is SKILL to know the way for shufffling. It needs a hard work to practice....

no it's cheating, as a son of an official judge I should know, right :p
If you think your opponent acts suspicious while shuffling, then you can ask the judge to shuffle his/her deck.
BTW, I know some tricks too, but it's just not fun :p, but I do reorganise my deck after every battle and shuffle as little as possible, so I always have an evolution line, and that's not cheating :p

So as long as opponent doesn't notice, we are allowed to do some trick?
But it's just not nice if only shuffle a few times.
If the opponent is me, I will ask him/her to reshuffle the deck or let me shuffle it.
another question, look at this example:
I was using PETM and search for Poliwhirl. when searching the deck, I know the position of Politoed EX. Then, secretly, I shuffling back my deck with a trick so the top of the deck will be Politoed EX. is it...allowed?

tricks are considered cheating, but if nobody notices :p

BTW, some magicians are so quick, they can turn around there top card and look at it without you noticing, and they can put there top card at the bottom of their deck in less then a second.

your better off not trying to fool a judge by doing this. If i caught you doing that, i would watch your shuffling more closely. Speaking as a judge, i could/would issue appropriate penalties (i believe a game/match loss if intentional, and caution/warning if not intentional) if i believed there was cause to do it. Just shuffle your deck. In almost all TCG's if you shuffle your deck sufficientally, there will be no problems. If you keep getting evo lines with nrg... well your just lucky!!! =P

RE:  Shuffling question

cute-mew said:
I do reorganise my deck after every battle and shuffle as little as possible, so I always have an evolution line, and that's not cheating :p
Thats cheating in some way, what I do is seperate the evolution lines and then cut the deck placing one card in between the cut piles.

Nope, reorganizing is not cheating, but if you think your opponent hasn't shuffled his deck enough, you can ask the judge to do that.

true, reorganizing is not cheating, but if you do not present your deck "sufficientally randomised", that could be considered cheating. I hope you get to play me, just let me know who you are, cause your deck is gonna be shuffled about 5 times before the game start

:p, well, my deck has enough drawing/searching cards, so it wouldn't help anyways, it's just more fun, cause you always have your pokémon, so no bad luck (strangely enough, I only lost out of bad luck, so I'm trying to avoid that)

you can't shuffle your opponent's deck, only your opponent or the judge can. I know, stupid rule, but, rules are rules.

cute-mew said:
you can't shuffle your opponent's deck, only your opponent or the judge can. I know, stupid rule, but, rules are rules.

I think it's more fair if we shuffle opponent's and he/she shuffle ours...
well, that's to avoid problem...

This is an excerpt taken from the POP Tournament Rules

POP said:
7. Shuffling
Each player’s deck is expected to be fully randomized at the start of each game and during the game as card effects require. In order to achieve randomness, players are allowed to riffle, pile, or otherwise shuffle their decks until they are satisfied that the deck is random. Randomization must be done in the presence of the player’s opponent. Care should be taken to assure that the cards in the deck are not harmed or revealed during the shuffle.

After the shuffle, the deck must be offered to the player’s opponent to be cut once. Cutting the deck consists of creating two separate stacks of cards by removing a portion of the top of the deck, and then placing it under the remaining portion. Players should take care to not reveal any of their opponent’s cards while cutting. Cutting into more than two stacks is considered a shuffle.

Instead of cutting, the opponent may choose to shuffle the deck. This shuffle should be brief, and when it concludes, the deck’s owner is allowed "to cut the deck once as described above. Players should take care when shuffling an opponent’s deck, as the cards in that deck are not the shuffling player’s property. At this point, the deck should be sufficiently randomized to both players’ satisfaction.

If either player still does not feel that either deck is sufficiently randomized, or if a player wishes to not offer his or her deck to an opponent for randomization, a judge must be called over to shuffle the deck(s) in question. No player is allowed to shuffle or cut after the judge’s shuffle.
I hope that helps any disputes.

Any 'tricks' or ways to non-randomise your deck is considered cheating. If you are caught then you are disqualified. I cant believe any of you are considering it. There is no 'special' way of making a deck random in your favour, the one word for that is "Cheating".

To those "re-organisers":
"Re-Organising" is considered fixing your deck. You are not sufficently randomising your deck. Your WHOLE deck must be randomised, not just a portion of it where you leave the top unshuffled so you get a good start. It's cheating, you all should be ashamed. If I was judging your tournaments and found out about you 're-organising' then i'd disqualify all of you.

I'll give 1 piece of advice to anyone who reads any of this. If you dont know someone then they cant be trusted. ALWAYS cut/shuffle their deck before the start of each game, or get the Judge to do it. That is to stop people from cheating. A little disappointing hearing about this guys, real disappointing.

Let me enlighten all you fools. This is taken from POP's Penalty Guidelines:

POP said:
7.5. Cheating
Any action deliberately taken by a player to misplay cards, ignoring the Pokémon TCG rules or tournament rules as they pertain to game play, is considered cheating. This includes, but is not limited to, the following intentional actions:
• Ordering the cards in a deck and presenting it as being in random order (i.e.,
“stacking” a deck)
(oh did I say that out aloud?)
• Drawing/discarding more cards than is allowed by game rules or card play
• Arbitrarily adjusting the Special Conditions or damage counters put on any
Pokémon in play
• Attempting to fix the outcome of a coin flip
• Colluding with another player to fix the outcome of a game, match, or event
• Attempting to collude or bribe a TO or judge to influence the outcome of a
ruling, game, match, or event
• Misrepresenting one’s age in order to play in a different age category
• Asking for game-play advice from outside players or spectators during a
match
• Modification of the Card-Dex to misrepresent official card text
Cheating is the worst penalty a player can commit short of attempting to
physically disrupt an event.

Players who unintentionally or accidentally commit game-play errors similar to those listed above should be penalized as per the Game-Play Error section, but it is important to distinguish between a player who is intentionally cheating yet attempting to make the incident appear accidental and a player who makes a genuine mistake.

Casual Penalty: Expulsion/Disqualification
Competitive Penalty: Expulsion/Disqualification
10 and Under: Expulsion/Disqualification

you may shuffle your deck, man, my mom didn't get that ruling when judging on gym challenge, are the rules changed?

Back