Shortwave Radio Discussion

Vulpix-core

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey
I've recently become incredibly interested in shortwave radio listening, particularly the mysteries surrounding "number stations" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station) like The Buzzer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76) and the Swedish Rhapsody, ect. ect.
There's many others too.
Anyone listen to the radio and find some creepy weird stuff?
Anyone have any theories about numbers stations? Discuss!

The Buzzer station had an update, another voice transmission, letters and numbers, back in December of 2013 if I'm right. Any ideas? Interesting to me how it's still being used. But for what? Heckie, I don't know. Feel free to add any sort of idea or speculation or anything. It's fun to talk about this kind of thing, even if it's silly.

RE: Any shortwave radio listeners around here?

Ye, from time to time i find myself listening to Shortwave Radio and Number Stations

Here is my story on how I got into it
It started when COD 4 was new like a typical underaged console player I was very hyped about this game and everything around it, but there was something special about a map in the story, it was set in Pripyat. I did a little research and found out that it was in Chernobyl and there was a massive nuclear disaster there.
Fast forward to Black Ops times, the setting once again was around Chernobyl/Pripyat area AND the story is based alot on number stations, I eventually found a repeater/jammer in Chernobyl named ''Duga 3'' did some research again and was fascinated with the whole number jammer/number station concept

I found out that Russia still have a station running numbers like you said ''Uvb-76'', the transmissions are said to be the military in and around the ''Soviet'' Russia to communicate with the new lands that was independent from soviet russia.

My dad had a very old shortwave radio I usually use to listen to number and pirate stations
Nummber stations and Pirate stations is not a old thing, people still do this to date.

RE: Any shortwave radio listeners around here?

Aah, yes, actually I remember that part in COD 4...back in the day haha.
(I actually did a powerpoint presentation on Pripyat for computer class back in middle school. It was the beginning of my strange obsession with the USSR.)

Oh my goodness, the Duga 3 mystery is so fascinating, I love that one.
What's interesting abut UVB-76 is that it's still being used (though its broadcasting location changes often), which is weird to me because why use the same frequency for so long for these "codes?" (I stand by my "THEY'RE SPY CODES!" theory)
I mean, you'd think someone would have caught on by now what with them having used the same channel for so long.

Yeah, I've actually found a few people at my school who've been doing the shortwave/pirate/number station listening stuff forever. It's a really cool hobby.

Back