'Shining Fates' is February's Special Set!

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
1. Why did they shrink the portfolios back to 180 cards?? Lame

2. I'm mad they put Charizard on the cover. It's hard enough to find these being sold anywhere with any reasonable amount of stock available. Now it's gonna be even harder :/

Aren't these always the smaller ones? They're the toploaders, not the sideloaders. (Sigh; I like the art but won't use toploader portfolios.)

arulz

THE SEEKER
Why do they always put the least popular pack art on the 9 pocket folder every single time. If the 4 pocket isnt as popular then dont make them, instead of trying to push us to buy them just because they have the good art

how can you tell which one is 9 and which is 4?

EDIT: based on the size of the scanning things it looks like the dragapult is the smaller one. I'd have thought the charizard is more popular? (Even though i'll be buying dragapult for the art i imagine most kids just go for charizard and that's the bulk of sales)

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
how can you tell which one is 9 and which is 4?

EDIT: based on the size of the scanning things it looks like the dragapult is the smaller one. I'd have thought the charizard is more popular? (Even though i'll be buying dragapult for the art i imagine most kids just go for charizard and that's the bulk of sales)

Yes, from other listings Charizard is the 9 pocket and Dragapult is the 4 pocket (you can also guess by the size of the UPC).

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Aren't these always the smaller ones? They're the toploaders, not the sideloaders. (Sigh; I like the art but won't use toploader portfolios.)

I bought the Vivid Voltage portfolio, it holds 256 cards double sided (instead of 180).

I use them for my less rare cards. I was "casually trying" to complete all the XY sets and I'm migrating them away from one gigantic D-ring binder with loose pages into Pokemon-themed portfolios.

My TCG Pokedex I use Ultra Pro PRO side loading binders, one per region. But those are insanely hard to find too, unless the only colour you want is Black...

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I bought the Vivid Voltage portfolio, it holds 256 cards double sided (instead of 180).

I use them for my less rare cards. I was "casually trying" to complete all the XY sets and I'm migrating them away from one gigantic D-ring binder with loose pages into Pokemon-themed portfolios.

My TCG Pokedex I use Ultra Pro PRO side loading binders, one per region. But those are insanely hard to find too, unless the only colour you want is Black...

The special set ones are different from the main sets. Hidden Fates was similarly 180 cards. See https://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=8517 for example. Also, a bit cheaper, though not enough to make the price equivalent - $12 MSRP for the main set ones (252/12 = 21 cards/$), $10.50 for the special sets (180/10.5=17 cards/$).

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
If anyone who plans on buying and reselling these for big prices is reading this... think about this for a moment.

Your job is to inconvenience everyone who wants to buy Pokemon cards. Your JOB is literally to make sure that the kids in your area are disappointed when they go to the store. It is your job to make people UNHAPPY. That is what you choose to do with your life.

shame

SuperBrish

Aspiring Trainer
If any other gen 1-4 boomers are seeing this, what do you think? Everyone saying Hidden Fates 2.0 but I'd be surprised if the singles sell for anywhere near the singles did from Hidden Fates. I don't like the new Pokémon from swsh at all. Not happy about the Pokémon selection but I guess they want to keep the franchise fresh with the new Pokémon. There were plenty of other older Pokémon printed from swsh sets that would have made better shiny selections. Still a great set all things considered, but HF will certainly be the shiny set that will stand the test of time.

Bongo

Aspiring Trainer
The main set will have 72 cards (not including possible secret rares). We know this, as LeonHart was sent some cards from the set early:

LePerchant

Aspiring Trainer
When you think this is gonna be the hype for 2021, wait for 25th anniversary.
People already selling 25th stuff like the Cereal Booster packs.
Hope everyone got a chance getting anything before the scalpers do.

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector
If any other gen 1-4 boomers are seeing this, what do you think? Everyone saying Hidden Fates 2.0 but I'd be surprised if the singles sell for anywhere near the singles did from Hidden Fates. I don't like the new Pokémon from swsh at all. Not happy about the Pokémon selection but I guess they want to keep the franchise fresh with the new Pokémon. There were plenty of other older Pokémon printed from swsh sets that would have made better shiny selections. Still a great set all things considered, but HF will certainly be the shiny set that will stand the test of time.
Respect, man. Respect. I'm a bit more favorable to the newbies, but I agree, HF will always be THE Shiny set. That's not to say that SF will be plentiful on first draw, though. The usual scalping drama will ensue and blow up in all of our faces, but I can appreciate Pokemon branching out and not relying too heavily on old standbys in this Shiny set! Pretty much the only obvious pandering they have in the Shiny Vault this time around is for Charizard VMAX, which I'm actually okay with this time around, because at least Shiny Zard VMAX is offset by the 121 other Shinies in this set, which is more than I can say for Charizard's PITIFUL and obviously FORCED appearance in Champion's Path... shame on you, TPCI. Shiny Zard V should've been saved for this set, for real.