'Shining Fates' is February's Special Set!

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Any information about the "mini tins" some stores started listing today?
I've seen them listed for $13.50, so I would expect them to have either 3 packs or 2 packs plus a promo/something else.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
I want to be annoyed by the inevitable low availability of this set but I can't think of anything except JUMBO SHINY DRAGAPULT VMAX AAAAAAA

(the set also comes out on my birthday which makes me feel VERY special :D)

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I originally thought that shiny Crobat V would either be included in the set because we can't have easy access to helpful cards (like Japan) OR it would be a Promo in a way too expensive collection. I'm genuinely surprised that it's in a box WITH its VMAX and 7 packs for just $40. (Yes, "just" $40. I was expecting $50 to $80.) I don't know how Dragapult is doing these days, but that box also sounds pretty good, though to a lesser degree.

I do wish tins these days could go back down to $20. I thought the $5 increase would only last for the Tag Team tins because... they're biggerer and betterer (and it included a metallic GX marker)??? But they're still $25 because they include 5 packs now. With these tins, sure they're now up to 6 packs, and it makes sense that they're $30, but I personally wish they'd be $20 with 4 packs, like that Pikachu box. The mini tins, however, seem like a good solution for a cheaper product.

There's a lot of variety this time around! Most of which is releasing on February 19th. Hopefully, that's a sign that they're also increasing quantities too? (Having large amounts available for each product? Or at least, as a whole, there's a larger selection available for consumers.) Probably just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
My point exactly. TPCI needs to put out a mandate to all stores to keep scalpers out of the shops...
Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. But along those lines, it is at least possible for them to put a purchase limit on their own online store. I'm sure it's not 100% foolproof, but it's something.

Rotom Master

Aspiring Trainer
Amen to that. These things are already pretty expensive as is; worse when they're locked behind a boxed collection/ETB only. Sure as heck don't trust folks selling single packs. With demand for these cards up so high I worry that the counterfeit market is going to amp up so even buying singles feels it comes with more of a risk now. But now we can't even buy these at retail pricing and TCPi sells out so fast it's insane. I'm on week 3 of waiting on my champion's path pinbox order which I'm sure will be cancelled. Ironic considering they own the printshops :p
I ordered a few pin collections a couple weeks ago and just found out that they oversold them and i might not be receiving them!! Im done with Champions Path. This set looks awesome cant wait to not get any

Shuppetwithagun

Aspiring Trainer
I’m glad there’s a good reason to buy the tins this time compared to hidden fates. I felt that the ordinary gx promo was a bit disappointing especially because they were not interesting cards and to a lesser extent they were the complete opposite of playable. Having shiny Vs justifies the purchase a bit more for me but I’m probably going to have to buy most of the shiny vault off aftermarket sites due to “stock issues”.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. But along those lines, it is at least possible for them to put a purchase limit on their own online store. I'm sure it's not 100% foolproof, but it's something.
If buying Funko POPs have taught me anything it's that putting purchase limits is definitely not a foolproof plan, exclusives dropped onto Funko's online store are often bought out in 15-30 minutes and their NYCC lottery was bombarded to heck and back with scalper/reseller shenanigans.

Honestly, there's a LOT that larger retailers could do to curb this but they almost alway fall short of doing so due to it interfering with their bottom line.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I think TPCi should consider releasing these in the booster box configuration instead of exclusively in different box sets. The design of the booster box needs to be different from the booster boxes of the other sets to distinguish a side set to a regular set. Another difference may be all holo packs, or a different number of cards per pack compared to main set boosters.

The main 4 sets per year must have prereleases and set associated preconstructed products (theme decks). A side set is different in a way that the booster box packaging is different, no prerelease, and no set associated preconstructed product.

Going forward, side sets need to occur twice a year instead of once a year. When side sets being twice a year becomes a normal occurrence, side sets then need to have a smaller set size compared to main sets.

Just for reference, Magic released side sets, (Commander Legends, Jumpstart, Double Masters, Mystery Booster) in the booster box configuration, and Yugioh also released side sets (Genesis Impact, Legendary Duelist: Rage of Ra, Battles of Legend: Armageddon, Toon Chaos, Secret Slayers) in the booster box configuration.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
I think TPCi should consider releasing these in the booster box configuration instead of exclusively in different box sets. The design of the booster box needs to be different from the booster boxes of the other sets to distinguish a side set to a regular set. Another difference may be all holo packs, or a different number of cards per pack compared to main set boosters.

The main 4 sets per year must have prereleases and set associated preconstructed products (theme decks). A side set is different in a way that the booster box packaging is different, no prerelease, and no set associated preconstructed product.

Going forward, side sets need to occur twice a year instead of once a year. When side sets being twice a year becomes a normal occurrence, side sets then need to have a smaller set size compared to main sets.

Just for reference, Magic released side sets, (Commander Legends, Jumpstart, Double Masters, Mystery Booster) in the booster box configuration, and Yugioh also released side sets (Genesis Impact, Legendary Duelist: Rage of Ra, Battles of Legend: Armageddon, Toon Chaos, Secret Slayers) in the booster box configuration.
The only issue I see with this is that Pokemon already does this to some extent, Japanese sets follow a similar pattern to this although they do the side set every quarter (and often a month or so after that quarter's main set/sets) as opposed to it being twice a year.

As to WHY it's not done it's pretty obvious when you think about it: it saves TPCi money to consolidate main sets, side sets, and certain Japanese starter decks into larger quarterly sets for the international market.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Within less of a day all of the pre-orders are already out of stock (in the European shops I looked at). This is extremely much worse than Hidden Fates or Champions Path.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Now there are more sellers, but they sell the ETB for ~30, tins for $60, the Premium Collection for $85. That's far from worth it. People in Japan could and probably still can buy the 10-pack boxes for less than $50.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
1. Why did they shrink the portfolios back to 180 cards?? Lame

2. I'm mad they put Charizard on the cover. It's hard enough to find these being sold anywhere with any reasonable amount of stock available. Now it's gonna be even harder :/

PatchampYoutuber

Aspiring Trainer
Why do they always put the least popular pack art on the 9 pocket folder every single time. If the 4 pocket isnt as popular then dont make them, instead of trying to push us to buy them just because they have the good art